Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You said none of your friends has a KP.
I don't know anyone else who has a Pentax camera, but I purchased my Q-7 and K-30 anyway.
Yes, I said that. But have you read the entire comment so that you can understand the context? I said that I like to play with all the cameras that I can put my hands on and so far I can't play with a KP because I can't find a store to rent one and none of my friends have one. I don't buy all the cameras that I play with. I just like to try them for fun and also to be informed and up to date with the current technologies.

Each can buy what he want with or without testing. I don't buy anything unless I put my hands on. I bought K-3 II as an upgrade from K-5 II without trying one first and it was a mistake because it didn't gave me any kind of improvements over K3 in areas that I was interested in (af and image quality). I lost money buying K-3 II instead of K3. Same would have happened if I would have bought a K1. The af would't have been much improved over K-3 II and with the slow buffer it would have been a little worse than K-3 II in this regard. And given the fact that each of us have different expectations, I really don't care what others say about af, buffer, ergonomics, etc.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-04-2018 at 09:31 PM.
09-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When does the official announcement occur?
e’re now told that the announcement will happen sometime between 3:00 AM ET and 4:30 AM ET. Whenever it is, we’ll be up for it.

We’re told to expect the Canon EOS R announcement sometime between 3:00 AM – 4:30 AM Eastern Time on September 5, 2018. This would be a midnight announcement for the folks on the west coast of North America.

We’re also told that the preorders for all Canon EOS R products will not begin until later NEXT week. We’re unsure if you’ll be able to preorder the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM, EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 600mm f/4L IS III tonight or not.

Probable announcement times around the globe:

Los Angeles, USA 12:00 – 1:30 AM
Toronto, Canada 3:00 – 4:30 AM
London, England 8:00 – 9:30 AM
New Delhi, India 12:30 – 2:00 PM
Hong Kong 3:00 – 4:30 PM
Sydney, Australia 5:00 – 6:30 PM
As with everything related to the Canon EOS R, not even the announcement timing is normal. So expect to be up late if you’re on this side of the pond and hope I’m wrong and it gets announced sooner.
09-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well it went from 5 to 5/32 on East coast Aussie.

I saw the last 2 minutes,of a terrible resolution Canon Rumours live stream....couldnt find anything else.??

Not too long there should be a better YouTube uploaded.

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 07:17 PM ----------

OK,

U$ 2299 body only

3399 with 24-105 f4

28-70 f2....US 2999!

It does shoot C-log, supposed to have Dual pixel AF in 4K(the M50 hasnt)

4.2.2 external 4K video(same as Nikon)

One card, no IBIS, flip around screen ...more lenses than Nikon

Not as speedy as $$$ony and slow compare to Nikon

Only 143 AF points but up to 5000+ its on the spec sheet Touchscreen UHS II

9 different buttons for customising

....Bring on the Panasonic but the Fuji Apsc is announced tomorrow and the speed and video capability are ahead of SSSony and CaNik

Last edited by surfar; 09-05-2018 at 01:48 AM.
09-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #64
Pentaxian

When after Nikon release I was sure that I would buy it if ever decide to switch to FF, for now I think I would rather buy Canon)) It is a golden mean: reasonable price and sensor better than Sony 7M3 and Nikon Z6.

09-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Only 2 lenses on release 24-105 f4 and 50mm f1.2

I havent seen an adapter price yet.Yes i have...it comes FREE when bought body only.

Last edited by surfar; 09-05-2018 at 01:40 AM.
09-05-2018, 02:15 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Another mere 'prosumer' mirrorless.

Strange to note that the 36MP K-1 has comparable continuous AF fps (with metering) to the 30 MP Canon (4.4 fps vs 5).

The best part of the EOS R release is that at launch time Canon put online:
- a downloadable PDF brochure for the EOS R system
- a full White Paper,
- a number of Canon Digital Learning Center articles on various features of the new system
- some useful product feature videos

Canon Full-frame Mirrorless System - Resources

This is something Pentax doesn't do as well.
09-05-2018, 02:34 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Introducing EOS R

09-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Yes, I said that. But have you read the entire comment so that you can understand the context? I said that I like to play with all the cameras that I can put my hands on and so far I can't play with a KP because I can't find a store to rent one and none of my friends have one. I don't buy all the cameras that I play with. I just like to try them for fun and also to be informed and up to date with the current technologies.

Each can buy what he want with or without testing. I don't buy anything unless I put my hands on. I bought K-3 II as an upgrade from K-5 II without trying one first and it was a mistake because it didn't gave me any kind of improvements over K3 in areas that I was interested in (af and image quality). I lost money buying K-3 II instead of K3. Same would have happened if I would have bought a K1. The af would't have been much improved over K-3 II and with the slow buffer it would have been a little worse than K-3 II in this regard. And given the fact that each of us have different expectations, I really don't care what others say about af, buffer, ergonomics, etc.
I understood the gist of this. In the days of film I handled a camera in the store, and controlled the most important characteristic - what we would call sensor characteristics today - by my choice of film. Today I purchase a camera sight unseen, but thanks to those reviled 'specs' available over the Internet, I know more about camera choices than I could ever know by using it - that was the gist of my comments.
09-05-2018, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find some of the features of the EOS R quite impressive, in terms of the amount of rethinking they've done of how to implement functions - it would probably be my mirrorless choice if I wanted mirrorless and had any money left.
09-05-2018, 03:20 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Introducing EOS R
It has about the same body size as a Pentax K3 or Pentax K1 (K1 is 10mm taller). Burst rate with AF-C is about the same as Pentax K1. SD UHS-II is a plus bit better than K1 UHS-I. Lenses for the EOS R aren't small.

---------- Post added 05-09-18 at 12:25 ----------

But, that video above...from Canon, you can dream about it from Pentax. At leat, the advantage with Canon is that they document what their cameras can do and how it should be used.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-05-2018 at 03:30 AM.
09-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Mind that the camera hasn't IBIS and the 50mm and the 28-70mm aren't stabilized. The EyeAF is available only in "AF-S" mode. Single memory slot. "-6 EV AF" is a marketing joke. Perhaps worst than Nikon's Z....
09-05-2018, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
When after Nikon release I was sure that I would buy it if ever decide to switch to FF, for now I think I would rather buy Canon)) It is a golden mean: reasonable price and sensor better than Sony 7M3 and Nikon Z6.
Sure, the EOS R looks like a very decent general purpose camera (except for shooting sports). However, if I compare to the Pentax K1, beside video and EVF, the EOS R isn't significantly much more, and it is not significantly smaller than a K1. In two years from now, the EOS R is probably the alternate camera to buy second hand when it will be cheaper. Reading the specs of the EOS R makes me appreciate my K1 more, it makes me happy to have a K1, and this tells me that if I want something smaller than the K1 , I'll get an apsc format camera: cheaper, smaller, and also has EVF... :-)
09-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sure, the EOS R looks like a very decent general purpose camera (except for shooting sports). However, if I compare to the Pentax K1, beside video and EVF, the EOS R isn't significantly much more, and it is not significantly smaller than a K1. In two years from now, the EOS R is probably the alternate camera to buy second hand when it will be cheaper. Reading the specs of the EOS R makes me appreciate my K1 more, it makes me happy to have a K1, and this tells me that if I want something smaller than the K1 , I'll get an apsc format camera: cheaper, smaller, and also has EVF... :-)
The Canon R in size and weight is more in the class of a KP. That*s pretty nice I think. That‘s a thick plus for it compared to a K-1 if these criteria are important to you and if you want FF.
09-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
The Canon R in size and weight is more in the class of a KP.
Strange, I compared the dimensions. Did you compare dimensions from the specification sheet?

---------- Post added 05-09-18 at 13:27 ----------

Pentax K1: 137 x110 x86 mm
Pentax KP: 132 x 101 x 76 mm
Canon EOS R: 136 x98 x84 mm
09-05-2018, 04:28 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Strange, I compared the dimensions. Did you compare dimensions from the specification sheet?

---------- Post added 05-09-18 at 13:27 ----------

Pentax K1: 137 x110 x86 mm
Pentax KP: 132 x 101 x 76 mm
Canon EOS R: 136 x98 x84 mm
Hm, look at my earlier post, ... but maybe these leaked specs were wrong?!

I see you added dimensions. ok, the R seams to be more or less in between KP and K-1 but in weight more like a KP.

Last edited by acoufap; 09-05-2018 at 04:36 AM. Reason: reply to added dimensions added