Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
The 28-70 2 is like $3000, pretty pricey, especially weird being paired with a camera that seems to be under spec'ed. I guess they'll release a better body in a year or two (looking at their M mount progression).

To me, nikon is releasing a better camera overall. Canon is releasing an underspecced camera, but has interesting adapter selection, and better glass at launch.
You're spending too much time looking at specs.
Nothing matters until there are sales to look at.

09-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It's been plausibly suggested that the 28-70mm f2 is essentially a lens for bragging rights, for the Far East fanboy crowd with cash to burn. There are plenty of them these days, I'd imagine. One can call it cynical but it means that Canon may have a better grasp of the main prize - China - than their rivals. We over here in ye olde West are not the main focus of interest these days. We welcome huge numbers of Chinese visitors in the town where I live and Canon is their favourite camera brand by a vast margin, in many cases the bigger the better.
I lived in China for over a decade, and they like shiny toys for sure over there. Sony was selling like hot cakes, I knew few people that switched systems as soon as a7r2 came out dropping their Canon systems overnight. But, they like cutting edge tech, and Canon EOS R is not it. As per bragging rights - Sony's G series lenses are pretty good for that, very expensive, and very big

---------- Post added 09-06-18 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nothing matters until there are sales to look at.
Oh, you can see people's reactions to AF performance for both systems, that alone says that cameras are underspecced and inferior to their own DSLR flagships.
09-06-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

A joke from internet: "The new Canon 400mm f2.8L lens is so good that Sony shooters forgot that they have a Sony equivalent lens and pre ordered the Canon lens."
09-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Oh, you can see people's reactions to AF performance for both systems, that alone says that cameras are underspecced and inferior to their own DSLR flagships.
First of all, you are misusing the term "underspecced" - that refers to the specs the camera was built to. We don't know what their goal was .... we just know what they produced.

Secondly, you cannot focus on focus alone. There is much more to a camera than AF, and we have not seen actual users react to the actual camera system yet.

09-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #125
Veteran Member

First of all, you are misusing the term "underspecced" - that refers to the specs the camera was built to. We don't know what their goal was .... we just know what they produced.

Secondly, you cannot focus on focus alone. There is much more to a camera than AF, and we have not seen actual users react to the actual camera system yet.
Ok, they are out-specced by competition, better now?

I'm just watching what people with hands on experience say, nothing more. I'm not planning to buy either of those, and even less so with a seemingly better a7 system already on the market.
09-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Ok, they are out-specced by competition, better now?

I'm just watching what people with hands on experience say, nothing more. I'm not planning to buy either of those, and even less so with a seemingly better a7 system already on the market.
We shall see how actual consumers respond.
Most actual consumers take many things into account, such as lens compatibility and familiarity with controls.
I'm not sure how high AF and other specs are.
09-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's been plausibly suggested that the 28-70mm f2 is essentially a lens for bragging rights,
Or it can be viewed as a stack of F2 primes,that replace 28/31/35/40/43/50/55/58/70....9 primes for 3000,thats not bad value!

---------- Post added 09-07-18 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The new Canon 400mm f2.8L lens is so good
It should be for the PRICE,which i dont know?

---------- Post added 09-07-18 at 08:41 AM ----------

Me too, but i know the capability of the Nikons and this Canon.

I'm not sure how high AF and other specs are.

All the information is available for view,plenty of the the reviewers are like you,so they have rushed their assessments out there to compete.(i'm not implying you are like the reviewers just that they are not fully aware of the specs)

All 3 newbys are very good devices,Many lenses are compatible,CaNiks ergonomics are much better than $$$ony and for the respective users they get familiar menus.However $$$ony will bring their NEWBY soon,they have an announcement next week but it might be the Apsc newby?

Last edited by surfar; 09-06-2018 at 02:53 PM.
09-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #128
Pentaxian

High end card fails in EOS R review

This was reported by Tony Northrup.
09-10-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #129
Veteran Member

Actually, the one very cool thing about this new system - they have adapters that take filters, meaning you can use a polarizer with UWA and without the need for massive (and expensive) 100-150mm filters and filter holders. Pure envy about that one lol.
09-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

This was reported by Tony Northrup.
He would say that, wouldn't he. I recently looked again at some of the YouTube photography channels after forgetting about them for a year or more. They are ghastly, imho, totally locked into their own little world which revolves around clickbaiting their audience much as fruit machines induce another automatic pull of the lever. TBH, I wouldn't trust a word most of these fellows say. There probably are a few good ones out there, but they are far, far away from the Northrups or Angry Photographers of this world.

The Canon R system may be far from perfect. But if one brings a few f4 zooms to the party, it is shaping up to deliver some darn good IQ at reasonable size/weight for all except professional folks. It will need some tweaking and some filling out with other models and lenses, but first impressions are that this will be a very good system before all that long. Nikon Z series too perhaps, since on the face of it Nikon have the better sensors, but my first impression is that they've gone cheap on the design and build of the lenses, though not on their sticker prices. If so, big mistake.
09-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #131
Pentaxian

TBH, I wouldn't trust a word most of these fellows say.
Ozzie Ostrich doesnt either.

There probably are a few good ones out there,
More than a few,but thats only my view and i watch morning and night.

they are far, far away from the Northrups or Angry Photographers of this world.
So you havent watch YT for over a year, and you can pass judgement?

---------- Post added 09-11-18 at 07:27 AM ----------

they have adapters that take filters,
Yes,thats a good feature but costs a lot.

Another adapter makes the non native glass just like the native glass,its got the assignable ring.
09-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Yes,thats a good feature but costs a lot.

Another adapter makes the non native glass just like the native glass,its got the assignable ring.
I bet it'll save money in the long run though, a good 150mm filter costs $200+ vs much less for small ones, plus no need for the mounting system (Nisi S5 is like $200 on it's own). Plus probably easier to deal with rain with those (150mm collect all the water lol). It's a cool feature.
09-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #133
Pentaxian

It's a cool feature.
Yes, a nice one.

As well as the innovative sensor protecting shutter,thats thinking beyond the competition.
09-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #134
Veteran Member

As well as the innovative sensor protecting shutter,thats thinking beyond the competition.
yeah, seems like an idea like that would be on the surface
09-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #135
Pentaxian

So BCN the Japanese consumer reporter,has the Canon R outselling the $$$ony A7iii last week.

As well as the M50 Apsc outselling everything else.

A weeks a long time in CamerWorld,ha ha.