Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Panasonic to enter Full Frame mirrorless market...

Looks like more competition for Nikon, Canon, & Sony...

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-announce-its-first-full-frame-sy...-september-25/

08-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Well, they certainly have the know how and expertise. Getting crowded out there, but competition is good and maybe this will sprout a K1 MkIII or 645z mkII sooner than later...
08-31-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know there’s been collaboration between Panasonic and Leica for some time, but I can’t imagine the rumoured use of the SL mount could be correct, unless they have a range of cheaper Panasonic branded lenses to go with it.
08-31-2018, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Well, they certainly have the know how and expertise. Getting crowded out there, but competition is good and maybe this will sprout a K1 MkIII or 645z mkII sooner than later...
I don't understand how any of this affects the K-1. It is a fine camera, and there is no reason for MILC cameras to encroach on that any more than Canon or Nikon DSLRs do.

08-31-2018, 07:19 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Let them all savage each other to death. While Canikon fights it out with Panasony in Mirrorless, there's a DSLR market there that Pentax could take a slice of. All it needs to do is keep putting out competent cameras.
08-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Let them all savage each other to death. While Canikon fights it out with Panasony in Mirrorless, there's a DSLR market there that Pentax could take a slice of. All it needs to do is keep putting out competent cameras.
What will be interesting is whether the current flatline MILC sales performance stays that way. I suspect it will rise at first, but if it doesn’t there’s going to be some blood in the water.
08-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Awesome news.

08-31-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Curious to see whether it's true, and what mount they use.
08-31-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I suspect it will rise at first, but if it doesn’t there’s going to be some blood in the water
I suspect there's going to be anyway. From what I've been seeing, the Z6 and Z7 have some glaring omissions (in some potential users' minds) that can't easily be rectified without a redesign (no provision for a vertical grip, only one card slot, no support for Nikon screwdrive F mount AF) and other issues), and which smack of Nikon trying to reinvent the wheel rather than looking at what was criticised in other makers' models and addressing that in the basic design. If Panasonic and (separately) Canon can avoid those mistakes, they're going to cut the legs out from under any follow-up Nikon design that redresses the current perceived failures. It's not going to be pretty, and it could spell the end for Nikon as one of the Majors.

If Nikon manages to pick itself up and dust itself off, and transitions completely to mirrorless and the Z mount, that will leave Pentax as the only remaining manufacturer that still offers significant legacy support for its film-era glass in its own name.

Panasonic's advantage is that it has a solid background in mirrorless. However, that's in M4/3, and the degree to which this translates over into full-frame while entering a crowded market is going to be interesting to watch. I've seen some of the Lumix cameras at a distance; they looked as big as my K-5 for a smaller sensor. If they don't keep a careful eye on it, they're going to end up with a grossly oversized camera for the job it's meant to do.
08-31-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Likely Panasonic have to do this to protect their position in video. That’s nearly all of it right there. They’ll have known for a long while that the big boys esp. Canon with dual pixel would up their game in video with new-gen FF offerings which can do 6K, 8K et al. whereas Panny would be stuck on M43 + DFD focusing.

If the Leica SL mount checks out then perhaps that signals a Leica-Panasonic-Olympus FF consortium. Good idea perhaps, otherwise Oly is out in the cold. Ouch. Also may signal that as the market gets tougher and tougher the smaller players know they have to group up and consolidate. Or else.

Only a rumour of course. Might just be a pure video cam, after all. We’ll see.

Last edited by mecrox; 08-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.
08-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"You get a FF mirrorless! And you get a FF mirrorless! Everyone gets a FF mirrorless!" - in Oprah's voice

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand how any of this affects the K-1. It is a fine camera, and there is no reason for MILC cameras to encroach on that any more than Canon or Nikon DSLRs do.
Not as many people make the distinction. a FF ILC is a FF ILC.
08-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Too many FF mirrorless cameras now!

Who knows. Olympus might be joining them, but there's no definite evidence of that yet, other than some rumored "high end" Olympus camera heading our way.
08-31-2018, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

If this rumor is true, September will be a quite interesting month!

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
If the Leica SL mount checks out then perhaps that signals a Leica-Panasonic-Olympus FF consortium. Good idea perhaps, otherwise Oly is out in the cold. Ouch. Also may signal that as the market gets tougher and tougher the smaller players know they have to group up and consolidate.
Who knows, maybe Pentax could join this kind of consortium. Would make sense for the small guys to band together against the bigger player. Alone, I doubt any one of them will be able to develop something queickly enough to compete with the big three.
08-31-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Alone, I doubt any one of them will be able to develop something queickly enough to compete with the big three.
Don't do it quickly; do it right.
08-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Too many FF mirrorless cameras now!

Who knows. Olympus might be joining them, but there's no definite evidence of that yet, other than some rumored "high end" Olympus camera heading our way.
Olympus filed patents on 7 FF mirrorless lenses a couple of years ago. https://www.43rumors.com/the-seven-full-frame-lenses-patented-so-far-by-olympus/

They are working on something.