Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MFT has a nice line up of lenses as well, plus the best IBIS (smaller sensor makes it easier), great video, compactness (used to carry my whole kit in a small backpack, now I don't carry more than 2 lenses with me), and a lot of firmware updates that bring new features often. I'd hate to see it go (although I'm not a part of it anymore), it is an interesting branch of a photography community.

09-07-2018, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
compactness (used to carry my whole kit in a small backpack, now I don't carry more than 2 lenses with me)
Exactly, MILC evangelists keep trotting out the size argument, yet the best example of a mirrorless camera that has a size advantage over DSLRs gets put in the corner because its sensor is too small. What makes Olympus m43 cameras so attractive are their noticeably smaller lenses and it doesn't hurt that holding an OM-D E5 is a better experience than holding other MILCs, especially Sony models. Nobody uses a camera without a lens, yet the MILC evangelists pretend that FF MILCs can make the lenses mounted on them lighter and smaller than they really are. For still photography, Olympus is the only company that got the MILC experience right, yet the whole world knows that Olympus is doomed unless they come out with a FF camera. Just goes to show that the mirror in MILCs never disappeared, it changed from a reflex mirror to smoke and mirrors.
09-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Exactly, MILC evangelists keep trotting out the size argument, yet the best example of a mirrorless camera that has a size advantage over DSLRs gets put in the corner because its sensor is too small. What makes Olympus m43 cameras so attractive are their noticeably smaller lenses and it doesn't hurt that holding an OM-D E5 is a better experience than holding other MILCs, especially Sony models. Nobody uses a camera without a lens, yet the MILC evangelists pretend that FF MILCs can make the lenses mounted on them lighter and smaller than they really are. For still photography, Olympus is the only company that got the MILC experience right, yet the whole world knows that Olympus is doomed unless they come out with a FF camera. Just goes to show that the mirror in MILCs never disappeared, it changed from a reflex mirror to smoke and mirrors.
First I much prefer Panasonic m43 over Oly and I only shoot stills. I like the rangefinder style bodies (gx-1, gx-7, gx-85, gx-9) I hated the early Oly menus and I really don't like the trend towards super wide aperture lenses that defeat the benefits of m43. f/1.2 - no thank you. However they make great stuff and I'm glad both of them are competing along with a few others. m43 ecosystem is great because of the open nature. Also the slow lenses are very often just slow but still stunning in terms of sharpness. I really like mine as an adjunct to my APSC k-3 kit.
09-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the E-M5ii I finally have a camera as small as my old Pentax ME Super.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First I much prefer Panasonic m43 over Oly and I only shoot stills. I like the rangefinder style bodies (gx-1, gx-7, gx-85, gx-9) I hated the early Oly menus and I really don't like the trend towards super wide aperture lenses that defeat the benefits of m43. f/1.2 - no thank you. However they make great stuff and I'm glad both of them are competing along with a few others. m43 ecosystem is great because of the open nature. Also the slow lenses are very often just slow but still stunning in terms of sharpness. I really like mine as an adjunct to my APSC k-3 kit.
I'm not a fan of the F1.2 lenses either. I really think they're meant for the person who has everything.

The best part about m43 lenses is that many of them are acceptably sharp wide open. There's no reason everybody else couldn't do the same.

09-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes it’s about the whole user experience and not just one feature on its own. Oly offer a very good overall system, not just a body and a lens. They are also very good at repairs/support and workshops and tutorial days where I live. I like things from folks who make the effort to be a bit more than just another camera outfit. The M43 sensor is limiting, imho, but only very rarely for what I shoot. The advantages of size and system outweigh it. And Oly are very good lensmakers, which is key.
09-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But the beauty of mft system is that you can buy any mft body, and use any lens from the system. I had the olympus body yet mainly used the panaleica 25 1.4, with 45 1.8 oly and samyang 12 2 in the bag, I had a full street and travel kit that was very light and fit into one tiny sling style bag. I preferred the Em1 body style, but Panasonic offerings were equally nice, it's just when I was buying the Em1 Panasonic wasn't offering ibis yet.

---------- Post added 09-07-18 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes it’s about the whole user experience and not just one feature on its own. Oly offer a very good overall system, not just a body and a lens. They are also very good at repairs/support and workshops and tutorial days where I live. I like things from folks who make the effort to be a bit more than just another camera outfit. The M43 sensor is limiting, imho, but only very rarely for what I shoot. The advantages of size and system outweigh it. And Oly are very good lensmakers, which is key.
Olympus lenses are very good. I had the 17 1.8 and it was a beautiful fully metal lens, tiny and sharp. Although I did eventually swapped it out to Pana 25, back then I was craving shallow dof)

---------- Post added 09-07-18 at 12:27 PM ----------

Also, mft system has very nice telephoto offerings now (200 2.8, 100-400mm), the Panasonic ones mostly, but the olympus 40-150 2.8 is also quite awesome from what I've seen on it.
09-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Another minor point about M43,the sensor size at 17x13 mm is a perfect fit for the Pentax 110 lenses,cheap primes that yield great IQ.

09-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #113
mee
Veteran Member

I suspect, if Panasonic launches a FF system, it will be heavily geared towards videographers and it will be very expensive. Cinema system expensive.
09-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I suspect, if Panasonic launches a FF system, it will be heavily geared towards videographers and it will be very expensive. Cinema system expensive.
Could be,their prices for top of range M43 are high....with a FF thats capable of 8K(thats a distinct possibility)....This new Pano maybe 4K plus???

Also the rumour??(sketchy source) mill is saying the crop mode on the new Pano is 2x and an adapter will be provided from launch.With over 50AF m43 lenses,its an instant upgrade path for OLY and PANO users.

The end of the month should be very interesting.
09-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Could be,their prices for top of range M43 are high....with a FF thats capable of 8K(thats a distinct possibility)....This new Pano maybe 4K plus???

Also the rumour??(sketchy source) mill is saying the crop mode on the new Pano is 2x and an adapter will be provided from launch.With over 50AF m43 lenses,its an instant upgrade path for OLY and PANO users.

The end of the month should be very interesting.
hmm, so if 36mp crop to apsc on K-1 gives roughly 16mp, what would it be with a x2 crop? If they're using a 45mp sensor from Sony for example. Around 12mp?
09-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #116
Pentaxian

hmm, so if 36mp crop to apsc on K-1 gives roughly 16mp, what would it be with a x2 crop? If they're using a 45mp sensor from Sony for example. Around 12mp?
A little under if its 45mp FF,but is it a sensor we know about and is it $$$ony?

The formula to calculate crop is 36 divided by the square of the crop.(2.25) in the case of K-1.

Seeing mft top end is 20mp,perhaps we will see a BIG mp sensor ?...They exist but when they surface is anyones guess???
09-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My calculations are based on a FF sensor that is 7680x5120 for an exact 8K width and 3:2 aspect ratio. The 4:3 crop would be 3680x2760 for 10mp.
09-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
My calculations are based on a FF sensor that is 7680x5120 for an exact 8K width and 3:2 aspect ratio. The 4:3 crop would be 3680x2760 for 10mp.
I guess not too bad) actually, after using the GR for a bit, I feel I'm under using my crop mode on K-1, maybe should get few small DA primes.
09-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I feel I'm under using my crop mode on K-1, maybe should get few small DA primes.
The DA 40mm is slight extra weight with 2 f/ls...its about the smallest,but 35mm f2.4 is fun too.No WR though.
09-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The DA 40mm is slight extra weight with 2 f/ls...its about the smallest,but 35mm f2.4 is fun too.No WR though.
35 2.4 covers ff right? Would be a nice purchase