Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Could be,their prices for top of range M43 are high....with a FF thats capable of 8K(thats a distinct possibility)....This new Pano maybe 4K plus???

Also the rumour??(sketchy source) mill is saying the crop mode on the new Pano is 2x and an adapter will be provided from launch.With over 50AF m43 lenses,its an instant upgrade path for OLY and PANO users.

The end of the month should be very interesting.
That isn't an upgrade path at all. An upgrade path is the reverse where someone has purchased a bunch of full frame Oly and Panasonic lenses (that don't exist) and then move on to the full frame Panasonic camera. The idea that anyone will be pleased shooting a full frame camera in 2x crop mode using their lenses with an adapter and getting somewhere between 10 to 12 megapixel images is a bit silly.

I can mount my DA 15 on my K-1, but I never do because I would rather shoot it on my K-01 or K3. It's a crop lens and there isn't any benefit to shooting on a full frame camera over using a crop camera.

09-08-2018, 03:02 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That isn't an upgrade path at all.
So a M43 shooter can soon buy a FF camera,i'd say thats an upgrade path...

Just because theres a crop mode(assuming the rumour is correct) is a bonus...Another company did that too...they didnt need an adapter though.

Mind you,their crop mode wasnt quite as big.
09-08-2018, 03:16 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So a M43 shooter can soon buy a FF camera,i'd say thats an upgrade path...

Just because theres a crop mode(assuming the rumour is correct) is a bonus...Another company did that too...they didnt need an adapter though.

Mind you,their crop mode wasnt quite as big.
I guess you and I have a different concept of upgrade path. Yes, you can shoot 12 megapixel images with this large full frame camera and your micro four thirds lenses by using an adapter. But the implication that you wouldn't need to buy additional lenses is not true at all. Your lenses are usable but this "upgrade" actually gives less resolution than any other micro four thirds camera on the market. A lot of cameras give the option of cropping in camera. This can be done for a lot of different reasons, including using your current lenses, but very few would be satisfied shooting much while using only a small part of the sensor.

By the way, I don't really believe that there will be an adapter that allows for the use of these lenses without additional glass. Micro four thirds has a registration distance of 19.25mm. They would probably need to cut that back by 3mm in order to make an adapter. It could be done, but that would make the shortest registration distance for any full frame on the market.
09-08-2018, 03:19 AM   #124
Pentaxian

a registration distance of 19.25mm. They would probably need to cut that back by 3mm in order to make an adapter. It could be done
Yes 16mm has been mentioned,still the crop mode may be fake news...

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:21 PM ----------

Also the rumour??(sketchy source) mill is saying the crop mode on the new Pano is 2x and an adapter will be provided from launch

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:27 PM ----------

the MAIN PURPOSE of FF Panasonic!

Its not to shoot stills,but could be OK?

This is the Camera they promised for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to shoot 8K video.

Release is rumoured first quarter 2019, no idea about any lenses yet.

Last edited by surfar; 09-08-2018 at 03:28 AM.
09-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess you and I have a different concept of upgrade path. Yes, you can shoot 12 megapixel images with this large full frame camera and your micro four thirds lenses by using an adapter. But the implication that you wouldn't need to buy additional lenses is not true at all. Your lenses are usable but this "upgrade" actually gives less resolution than any other micro four thirds camera on the market. A lot of cameras give the option of cropping in camera. This can be done for a lot of different reasons, including using your current lenses, but very few would be satisfied shooting much while using only a small part of the sensor.

By the way, I don't really believe that there will be an adapter that allows for the use of these lenses without additional glass. Micro four thirds has a registration distance of 19.25mm. They would probably need to cut that back by 3mm in order to make an adapter. It could be done, but that would make the shortest registration distance for any full frame on the market.
If the mount in larger in diameter it could fit inside rather than in front of the ff mount and maintain the same registration distance for both formats. Essentially like the m42 adapter does but with electronic contacts. Crop mode would yield big fat pixels that would work in low light.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 06:49 PM ----------

Granted most wouldn't be happy with the low pixel count.
09-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mirrorless technology is about as meaningful phrase as sunroofless technology about a car without a sunroof.
09-08-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Mirrorless technology is
Gaining momentum.........................]Mirror technology is gradually saying goodbye.

09-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Mirrorless technology is about as meaningful phrase as sunroofless technology about a car without a sunroof.
"Mirrorless" is incomplete - it could refer to a P&S - but "MILC" - interchangeable lenses without mirror - is completely meaningful in current context
09-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #129
Pentaxian

SAMSUNG FF sensor?

Thats what i'm hearing.

They read the declining market for cameras and exited,seeing the Smartphone business was expanding.

They didnt not stop making and developing sensors.
09-10-2018, 04:32 AM   #130
Pentaxian

From the Rumour site.

As expected its very high end Video specs.

They are tossing up U$ 3K, 30mp, possibly 2 cards but not sure which format.

Stabilisation in lenses not in the body.

WR

Adapters made for rival glass ???...specifically EF...Hmm...that would be a first i suppose?

No mention of the crop adapter for M43,so perhaps that was Fake News.
09-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #131
Veteran Member

No mention of the crop adapter for M43,so perhaps that was Fake News.
There seems an awful lot of marketing fog about Panasonic at the moment. Not much point reporting on rumours on top of rumours until something concrete comes out about Panasonic (or Samsung ... or Olympus ... or some Chinese company's plans). Not long until Photokina.
09-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not much point reporting on rumours
Funny thing is,plenty of the rumours are accurate.

I like to formulate an idea of anything new as the information becomes available.

I purposely didnt list the high end video specs which come from the accurate sources according to the site administrator(he rates the accuracy numerically).

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There seems an awful lot of marketing fog about Panasonic
Where,i look for fog every morning mostly its clear!
09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #133
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Funny thing is,plenty of the rumours are accurate.

I like to formulate an idea of anything new as the information becomes available.

I purposely didnt list the high end video specs which come from the accurate sources according to the site administrator(he rates the accuracy numerically).
Yeah, plus the rumor sites are usually ~95% accurate at least a month before a camera is even announced its being delevoped at times.
09-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #134
Pentaxian

NO native glass?....Panasonic make adapters for other companies glass(not Pentax)

CaNik glass will be adaptable to the Panasonic....Thats unusual.The adapters will be made by Panasonic.

So thats really a play for CaNik users.

Come buy our body and use your existing lenses.

I'm wondering if this is the Nuke in the war?...$$$ony have something up their sleeve I'm sure.
09-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #135
Veteran Member

CaNik glass will be adaptable to the Panasonic....Thats unusual.The adapters will be made by Panasonic.

So thats really a play for CaNik users.

Come buy our body and use your existing lenses.

I'm wondering if this is the Nuke in the war?...$$$ony have something up their sleeve I'm sure.
If it is primarily for high-end video - as many of us suspect - it is going to be an expensive 8K and FF machine. If SL mount, Leica sl lenses will not be too far out of the expense equation for native glass, as well as PL and Arri mount lenses -since those adapters already exist, and if the SL is the primary mounting system. Of course, you can mount Pentax, Nikon, and Canon lenses too (Novoflex adapters). In this way, the SL mount is very clever move and Panasonic can take their time coming up with their own native lenses - expensive or not - to satisfy still and video photographers. Another plus is, Pentax owners will have the option to use their glass on this camera, if only with manual focus...