Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #16
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,304
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Faster doesn't mean better corrected - it could be fast and sloppy and small. Time will tell.
It looks huge to me. Images on Nokishita page.

08-31-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 538
I'm liking this trend towards using more readable top lcd screens.
08-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,720
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It looks huge to me. Images on Nokishita page.
I had missed that. Yes it is huge. The 24-105 f/4 is just slightly smaller than the DFA 24-70 to get some perspective.
08-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,367
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
a 24-70 f/2 would be crazy. I assume it's going to have a price to match.
Thats what I was thinking, and probably a big filter to match

08-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,720
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Thats what I was thinking, and probably a big filter to match
Looking at the pictures - maybe 95mm at the smallest or perhaps 105mm?
08-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,367
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Looking at the pictures - maybe 95mm at the smallest or perhaps 105mm?
Good chance near that size, it's going to be *maybe* a 82mm (really doubt that though, but you never know).Their 28-70 f2.8L (even though it came out in '93) was a 77mm, so a same zoom-range lens with a faster aperture is going to have a bigger filter.
08-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,720
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Good chance near that size, it's going to be *maybe* a 82mm (really doubt that though, but you never know).Their 28-70 f2.8L (even though it came out in '93) was a 77mm, so a same zoom-range lens with a faster aperture is going to have a bigger filter.
The 24-105 f/4 is 83mm and the pictures clearly show a much larger lens with the 24-70 f/2 - The slope up from the mount to the first size increase looks like maybe 83mm or wider then it gets bigger. It will be a whale.

09-01-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 715
If I understand this news rightly… We're looking at Canon introducing a new lens mount for full-frame mirrorless, incompatible with the EF-M mount that their already-successful APS-C mirrorless cameras use? Am I the only one who thinks that is a painfully stupid move? I mean, if they can't fit a full frame sensor into EF-M, wouldn't it make a ton more sense to just stick with APS-C format? It seems to be working Just Fine for Fujifilm. The difference in imaging performance between full frame and APS-C is fairly trivial. They're introducing a whole new lens mount for the sake of something trivial.
09-01-2018, 04:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Llanelli, Wales
Posts: 5,475
Those lenses look very interesting - but very expensive for a (rumoured) $1,900 body - I'm very interested to see if there's a pro body in the wings - not that I could afford it even if I wanted it, but it would be great to see what Canon could do if they threw everything at it - and would they go for a 50Mp sensor or a lower Mp speed monster like the 1DX? Or both?
09-01-2018, 04:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Am I the only one who thinks that is a painfully stupid move?
Yes, another new mount for Canon. Riding alongside the arrival of a totally new mount for Nikon.

The industry has gone a little mad, I think, due to mirrorless.
09-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 715
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, another new mount for Canon. Riding alongside the arrival of a totally new mount for Nikon.

The industry has gone a little mad, I think, due to mirrorless.
I don't think "mirrorless" is the problem. I think "full frame" is the problem. It's full frame madness.

Now there's a rumor that Panasonic are getting ready to introduce a full frame mirrorless camera. But they already have a well developed Micro Four Thirds system!
09-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Mark Ransom's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
If I understand this news rightly… We're looking at Canon introducing a new lens mount for full-frame mirrorless, incompatible with the EF-M mount that their already-successful APS-C mirrorless cameras use? Am I the only one who thinks that is a painfully stupid move? I mean, if they can't fit a full frame sensor into EF-M, wouldn't it make a ton more sense to just stick with APS-C format? It seems to be working Just Fine for Fujifilm. The difference in imaging performance between full frame and APS-C is fairly trivial. They're introducing a whole new lens mount for the sake of something trivial.
The difference in perception is much larger than the difference in performance. Lots of people won't settle for second best.
09-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Those lenses look very interesting - but very expensive for a (rumoured) $1,900 body - I'm very interested to see if there's a pro body in the wings - not that I could afford it even if I wanted it, but it would be great to see what Canon could do if they threw everything at it - and would they go for a 50Mp sensor or a lower Mp speed monster like the 1DX? Or both?
My guess the 50mp model is under development,likewise the $$$ony 60-75mp FF(its been rumoured for a while).

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The industry has gone a little mad, I think, due to mirrorless.
It'll be madder by the end of the month!When everything is official.
09-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,684
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
How do you figure that? 70mm/F2.0 = 35mm.
The Pentax 24-70 f2.8 uses 82mm filters (they aren't cheap) and the DA *16-50 takes 77mm filters. Not sure how this would be so much smaller. I don't think your math quite works. (The DA 15 f4 is 49mm filter).
09-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #30
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,304
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Looking at the pictures - maybe 95mm at the smallest or perhaps 105mm?

Yes that has to be 95mm or larger. But I'm guessing 95mm.


What I'd like to see is a 3rd party release more novel lenses. Something like a 50-105 f/2 portrait lens and/or a 50-135 f/2.8 walkaround.


Something either with better performance than a 70-200 f/2.8 at the same size/weight OR similar performance at a reduced focal length range and size/weight.

I like having f/2.8 speed but don't need a lens as long as 200mm with it. On the other hand, a lens with faster aperture in a tighter focal range would be advantageous in some capacities too.

Eventually one of them is probably going to get around to making pancakes-like lenses now that the IS is in body (hoping the Canon body has IBIS too...). Drive motors can be made pretty small it seems as well.... for those of us not needing larger apertures for every day shooting and want to reduce weight.

Update: CR has specs on the lenses Canon RF lens specifications - Canon Rumors | Canon Rumors Forum

QuoteQuote:
Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM
  • Lens composition: 13 groups 19 sheets
  • Minimum focus distance: 39cm (15.35 inches)
  • Filter diameter: 95mm
  • Size: 103.8mm (4.08 inches) × 139.8mm (5.5 inches)
  • Weight: 1430g (3.15lbs)
That's a beefy lens.

Last edited by mee; 09-01-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, canon, canon ff milc, milc, milc 28-70 f2.0, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a Full-Frame System MILC to boost Pentax market share... geo444 Pentax Full Frame 85 05-23-2018 04:56 PM
rumored Pentax mirrorless camera - something between K1000 and K-01 grahame Pentax News and Rumors 480 01-26-2017 09:36 AM
Canon 5DmkIV @ $3,799 - rumored - early 2015 interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 33 01-10-2015 02:07 PM
Canon as the last MILC player? farhagh Photographic Industry and Professionals 2 05-08-2012 03:56 PM
Canon's Evil Specs are rumored Samsungian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 01-28-2010 06:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top