Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fujifilm GFX RRR model, an affordable Medium Format

GFX 50R a stripped down 50S

The FF M/L popping up everywhere are faster but the condensed GFX provides another view.

An enlarged X Pro body shape with an EVF only.

Internals from its big bro the 50S.

A crop FF mode of around 30 mp.

No pricing but 4K U$ has been suggested?

09-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Crop medium format sensor for ever
Not interested.
09-02-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Something like that would be a big step forward.
09-09-2018, 02:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sept 25th announcement

So the low price on one rumour site was way off.

Price will be U$ 4500

A big XE-3 but with a normal Fuji screen.

A 40mm pancake will be announced and will make 7th lens + TC in the system.

09-09-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

GFX 50R a stripped down 50S

The FF M/L popping up everywhere are faster but the condensed GFX provides another view.

An enlarged X Pro body shape with an EVF only.

Internals from its big bro the 50S.

A crop FF mode of around 30 mp.

No pricing but 4K U$ has been suggested?
Until they upgrade the sensor to a BSI with PDAF on sensor it will be too slow. Once they bring the speed to the GFX line it will become a wedding photographers dream camera.
09-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

So the low price on one rumour site was way off.

Price will be U$ 4500

A big XE-3 but with a normal Fuji screen.

A 40mm pancake will be announced and will make 7th lens + TC in the system.
PR is stating the price around $3,600 USD. If accurate, that's an interesting swipe at FF.
09-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
PR is stating the price around $3,600 USD. If accurate, that's an interesting swipe at FF.
I saw that price and posted it yesterday(from newcamera.com) but Fuji Rumours stated 4500 from a number of reliable sources.I was disappointed and will have to wait till it depreciates till i get it.

09-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fujifilm GFX 50R, or Medium Format Temptation, or fighting GAS | Sebastian Boatca

Just a blog pondering the GAS temptation.
09-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster

heres a look.

09-26-2018, 02:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if the body is cheap, the lenses are still quite expensive. This body plus the 32-64 would run you 7000 dollars. When I think about how much full frame gear that would buy you (K-1 II plus all of the FA limiteds, DFA 24-70, DFA 70-200 and still have 400 dollars to play with).

I do a lot of landscape photography and would enjoy digital medium format, but it is just too expensive for me, even if the bodies have come down in price.
09-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Even if the body is cheap, the lenses are still quite expensive.
Yes but its relative,the system costs more to get into than all those with smaller sensors.

The images surpass the smaller sensors.

The 50R, undercuts the price of what was the cheapest MF.

Manual glass is CHEAP with an adapter...is AF essential for landscape?

$$$ony A9 was released at the same price with half the MP.

Top end Dslrs cost more.

Its a BARGAIN for what it is and in 12 months,slightly used its a STEAL!
09-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I kinda am with what Rondec is thinking...

I can appreciate it that there is now a "cheaper" Medium format camera for those who want one.
On the other hand, I just don't see that clear an advantage of such a camera vs the FF cameras in the market now in most uses.
The K1 has loads of megapixels for the needs of an enthusiast be it 4K TV or printing large and the key to all that is the ability to execute the level of work to get presentable photos for those mediums.
More so than just tech specs, which are already good enough.
Add on pixel shift on the K1 and it goes a bit higher in the IQ.
Its also the same if one was using an A7RII, Nikon 850D give and take some......

The FF cameras also cost lower, have a larger range of lenses, accessories (base plate, filter sizes, etc), support.

I can see that for those aspiring to get that little bit more than a FF or some specific commercial work/edge may want one, but at this point, I don't see it being too mainstream (imo)
09-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The images surpass the smaller sensors.
Yes, but for 99% of the market. FF is more than they need.

The 50R, undercuts the price of what was the cheapest MF.
Until it is in the $3,000 range, it won't matter much.

$$$ony A9 was released at the same price with half the MP.
But with AF tracking that rivals $5,000 DSLRs. People who buy speed don't need or want resolution.

Top end Dslrs cost more.
Top end DSLRs are more capable and can be used for many more types of Photography. Paying photography. Top end DSLRs have Pro-Support. 10-20fps.

Its a BARGAIN for what it is and in 12 months,slightly used its a STEAL!
Bargain? Will you be buying one?

The new Fuji is an extremely limited camera that is still too slow. Just like the GFX-50s, the R is going to be too slow for most professionals to justify the cost. There will be some Fuji sponsored photographers who will undertake some nice project with it and they will blog and make videos about it, but this will be a niche product. A Fuji X-Photographer will probably be able to pick one up for $3,000 and use it as a second body for his GFX.

09-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes, but for 99% of the market. FF is more than they need.
Yes, considering Fujis 2/3/4% of the market they are on a winner.If they take the 1% of the market with their 3 models(by May next yr)then I's say they will be pretty happy.

99%, maybe...but what about the people who pay the BIG $$$ ...once they see the images,99 becomes 98.5/98 maybe?

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:08 PM ----------

Bargain? Will you be buying one?
Until it is in the $3,000 range, it won't matter much.
After a while Fuji discounts, mid 2019 its 4K(just a guess) so used price is 3.5....2020 its 3K used...YES, i'm buying at that price(although i can buy now i have other stuff that i rate higher).

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:13 PM ----------

Top end DSLRs are more capable and can be used for many more types of Photography. Paying photography. Top end DSLRs have Pro-Support. 10-20fps.
Fuji have Pro support,its new.
MF isnt fast, never has been but landscape/product/architecture and with 50R and the new pancake its a top end street shooter.

Crop mode is a bit quicker than 3fps and a bit over 30mp,putting it in K-1 territory.(correct me if i'm wrong,its a while since i read about that)

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:18 PM ----------

But with AF tracking that rivals $5,000 DSLRs. People who buy speed don't need or want resolution.
Of course, it wasnt the speed but the price that i was comparing.Lenses cost more if you want AF,if you dont theres CHEEEEP lenses available.

One 50S tog took his to the Amazon and used the Pentax 645 A600 * f5.6 piece of glass,the frame rate worked OK for him.Nice detailed big cat shots.

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I don't see it being too mainstream (imo)
Yes,of course...but it opens up a price bracket that will attract buyers.

FF M/L is just emerging, ...MF will be next,Fuji are in the market early like $$$ony were with the A7 series.
09-27-2018, 03:13 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, considering Fujis 2/3/4% of the market they are on a winner.If they take the 1% of the market with their 3 models(by May next yr)then I's say they will be pretty happy.

99%, maybe...but what about the people who pay the BIG $$$ ...once they see the images,99 becomes 98.5/98 maybe?

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:08 PM ----------

After a while Fuji discounts, mid 2019 its 4K(just a guess) so used price is 3.5....2020 its 3K used...YES, i'm buying at that price(although i can buy now i have other stuff that i rate higher).

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:13 PM ----------

Fuji have Pro support,its new.
MF isnt fast, never has been but landscape/product/architecture and with 50R and the new pancake its a top end street shooter.

Crop mode is a bit quicker than 3fps and a bit over 30mp,putting it in K-1 territory.(correct me if i'm wrong,its a while since i read about that)

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:18 PM ----------

Of course, it wasnt the speed but the price that i was comparing.Lenses cost more if you want AF,if you dont theres CHEEEEP lenses available.

One 50S tog took his to the Amazon and used the Pentax 645 A600 * f5.6 piece of glass,the frame rate worked OK for him.Nice detailed big cat shots.

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:21 PM ----------

Yes,of course...but it opens up a price bracket that will attract buyers.

FF M/L is just emerging, ...MF will be next,Fuji are in the market early like $$$ony were with the A7 series.
You can mount all kinds of cheap lenses on your Pentax K-1 II too. They also won't have auto focus, but they are cheap and of varying quality.

Medium Format is and will be for some time to come a niche area of photography due to cost. The same is true for very high end full frame cameras. I'm sure that Sony sells a lot more A7 IIIs than they do A9s. And no, most reviews I have read of the Fuji Medium Format cameras do not indicate like any kind of functionality with auto focus that significantly cheaper APS-C and full frame cameras offer. I'm sure higher end medium format cameras will start to get PDAF points on the sensor, but for the present, you have to deal with slow auto focus that doesn't work well in low light or low contrast situations.

If you want medium format with auto focus, at this point you are better getting a 645z. (and yes, many medium format photographers do use auto focus).