Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 03:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I welcome the XT-3, because the XT-2 is now cheaper and, from XT-2 to XT-3 it's going to be more of a marketing thing. I've checked the files from the XT-3 and honestly, I am not impressed, when zoomed at 100%, pixels look mushy mushy, that's most probably because for apsc, the lens must be really sharp and no shutter vibes and camera very steady in order to be able to record the extra bit of detail... which seldom happens, maybe in a studio, ok. Video is improved? Well, if I was recording a movie for Hollywood producer, I don't think they would have the budget for annnn Fuji XT-3 , they would have the budget for a professional cam. such as RED. Cat is cat, dog is dog, hammer is to nail nails and screw drive is to drive screw, why should I use a camera to record movies?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 03:49 AM.
09-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Cat is cat, dog is dog,
Nutter is Nuts.
09-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've checked the files from the XT-3 and honestly, I am not impressed, when zoomed at 100%, pixels look mushy mushy,
I must need my eyes checked then, the 100% view i saw was a long way from MUSHy, the 150% was still a long way...the 200% wasnt bad ...300% was getting MUSHY.
09-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I must need my eyes checked then, the 100% view i saw was a long way from MUSHy, the 150% was still a long way...the 200% wasnt bad ...300% was getting MUSHY.
Thank for sharing your own perception. I can look at photographs for myself, you know, side by side comparison, even if a mirrorless fan tells me otherwise. Bias is annoying. I downloaded full size images from XT2, did a side by side comparison between XT3 and Pentax K1, 100% zoom, the images from the K1 are clearly sharper/more detailed.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 11:03 PM.
09-08-2018, 12:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the images from the K1 are clearly sharper/more detailed.
Yes, they could be...which images?....show me!....And precisely point out the mushy ones please?
09-08-2018, 02:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Yes, they could be...which images?....show me!....And precisely point out the mushy ones please?
Fujifilm X-T3 sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

It's easy to take too photographs, from Pentax K-1 and from X-T3 and see that X-T3 is not as pixel sharp as the Pentax.
I don't have space for photos here, but , lets wait for imaging-resource to post images in the image comparison tool.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-08-2018 at 02:56 AM.
09-08-2018, 02:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji do strange sensors,Adobe products dont gel with them.
One thing I love and hate about Fuji is how casually they toss conventionality out the window.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
It is a bit dissapointing that Fuji cameras become heavier. X-T1 was 440g, X-T2 507g, X-T3 is 539g
oh no! not another 100g.

09-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fujifilm X-T3 sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

It's easy to take too photographs, from Pentax K-1 and from X-T3 and see that X-T3 is not as pixel sharp as the Pentax.
I don't have space for photos here, but , lets wait for imaging-resource to post images in the image comparison tool.
Wow, you're right. They do look really soft. The higher iso images have the look of overly aggressive noise reduction algorithms. The skin textures just don't look right and the lady playing the violin looks plenty soft. Maybe a missed focus? Although of course that can't happen with a mirrorless camera.

The girl sitting on the steps looks better to me. But even the iso 500 images have a bit of smoothing that you can see. Of course these are out of camera jpegs, so it could do better with RAW editing, but that is also Fuji's claim to fame -- you don't need to shoot RAW because their jpegs are just that good.

Their landscape images don't look good at all, but I don't suppose many people would buy this camera to shoot landscapes anyway.
09-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One thing I love and hate about Fuji is how casually they toss conventionality out the window.
The fact they do things a bit differently is appealing to some but seem silly to others.

I like being out and about with my Takumars on the early Fujis, regularly i get remarks like"thats an OLD camera" and i say Yes,about 6 years.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Wow, you're right. They do look really soft.
Well,THEY might as they are not the "official release" images...just some rubbish that somehow the ever reliable DiPstik Review has put online to grab cliks.

There are 5 official release images,ive viewed them at 100/150...very good....200 still good but detiorating...even 300,not very good.

They are Jpegs for illustration with the "empasised" by Fuji, Pre Release firmware.

Camera is on sale at end of month,i will be testing it personally and if its OK...i'll buy it.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:32 PM ----------

The biggest negative with Fuji is the lack of upgrade path and no, having medium format isn't an upgrade path,
Yes it is,its got a FF crop mode....plenty of AF adapters for Nikon/Canon glass.The third parties who support CaNik indirectly support Fuji.

Last edited by surfar; 09-08-2018 at 03:43 AM.
09-08-2018, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like being out and about with my Takumars on the early Fujis, regularly i get remarks like"thats an OLD camera" and i say Yes,about 6 years.
I like to poke my head out from under the dark cloth on my 8X10 when people least expect it. I always get a kick out of seeing peoples faces who are unfamiliar with large format when they see the ground glass on a view camera - with the image upside down and laterally inverted.
09-08-2018, 04:44 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I like to poke my head out from under the dark cloth on my 8X10 when people least expect it.
Most unusual!...ha ha....The great thing is theres no set rules,whatever way a person goes about creating what they like is good.
09-08-2018, 04:49 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fact they do things a bit differently is appealing to some but seem silly to others.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:16 PM ----------

Well,THEY might as they are not the "official release" images...just some rubbish that somehow the ever reliable DiPstik Review has put online to grab cliks.

There are 5 official release images,ive viewed them at 100/150...very good....200 still good but detiorating...even 300,not very good.

They are Jpegs for illustration with the "empasised" by Fuji, Pre Release firmware.

Camera is on sale at end of month,i will be testing it personally and if its OK...i'll buy it.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:32 PM ----------

Yes it is,its got a FF crop mode....plenty of AF adapters for Nikon/Canon glass.The third parties who support CaNik indirectly support Fuji.
It is as much an upgrade path as the Pentax 645Z is. So you are telling me that you are a Fuji photographer who has bought into the idea that X trans is better and then you look at Fuji full frame and you find that you can't mount any of your lenses on it, it is extremely slow to auto focus, has a laggy EVF and no X Trans and this is an upgrade?

I know we are arguing about terms, but to me an upgrade at the least needs the same mount and the same brand with better specs, otherwise it isn't really an upgrade. Moving from a KS-1 to a K3 or a K3 to a K-1 is an upgrade path. The 645z is a completely different road that happens to be made by the same maker.
09-08-2018, 05:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
it is extremely slow to auto focus, has a laggy EVF and no X Trans and this is an upgrade?
The new model is about to surface,knowing Fuji they will have addressed many of the first generation issues.Its the same Bayer sensor.

Funny thing is that Fuji said they were SHOCKED with the amount of GFXs they've sold.I suppose they will be even more shocked with the new model that is MF natively with 6 current modern designed for digital lenses plus a TC.As well as a FF in crop mode that with the aid of an adapter can use many Canon mount or Nikon mount lenses.Another SHOCK will be the price they can market it for,it will bring MF into the mid Dslr/Ml price range.
09-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new model is about to surface,knowing Fuji they will have addressed many of the first generation issues.Its the same Bayer sensor.

Funny thing is that Fuji said they were SHOCKED with the amount of GFXs they've sold.I suppose they will be even more shocked with the new model that is MF natively with 6 current modern designed for digital lenses plus a TC.As well as a FF in crop mode that with the aid of an adapter can use many Canon mount or Nikon mount lenses.Another SHOCK will be the price they can market it for,it will bring MF into the mid Dslr/Ml price range.
I am SHOCKED by how you buy into certain companies hype.
09-08-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest negative with Fuji is the lack of upgrade path and no, having medium format isn't an upgrade path, since it take completely different lenses and you can't mount lenses from an XT series camera on the GFX cameras.

If you decide that you want full frame, you have to go with a different brand. Otherwise, their lens selection is good (if expensive -- I wonder how much that 200mmf2 will be?), their cameras are full featured and seem to be reasonably priced. The whole X Trans thing is a bit silly. It turns out it doesn't do much except make it harder for third party companies to post process Fuji images -- interesting that they didn't go with it on their medium format cameras, if it really is so great.
I see "sold my ff gear, bought a crop camera" all the time on YouTube and interwebs. Maybe ff isn't a massive upgrade it once was especially for video stuff. Image quality from these modern crop cameras is very competitive, and size advantage is substantial