Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #1

Canon EOS-R Hands-On First Look by Kai Wong

09-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lenses are massive. I don't see anything small here.
09-11-2018, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
+1 suspicion confirmed that canon photographers feel the need to over compensate.
09-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the relevance of 'small'.
The DFA* 50 f/1.4 is massive also.

09-11-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The lenses do look BIG. But that 50mm f/1.2 is collecting an awful lot of light. And a 28-70 f/2? That's impressive. Big, for sure... but potentially very useful...

It's a shame Canon decided to stick with in-lens image stabilisation and leave it out of the body. Still, overall it looks like an impressive entry into the MILC market.
09-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mirrorless? New shorter lens mount?
09-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Some posters say mirrorless is smaller than DSLR, and better because of it.

The trend in FF lenses is on optical perfection, hence larger lenses, from all manufacturers. That equalizes the size differences between DSLR and mirrorless bodies.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 09-11-2018 at 06:40 AM.
09-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’ll never please everybody. Back in the 70s when the M series was introduced, they were often criticised for being too small!
09-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The DA40 XS is tiny.
09-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Mirrorless? New shorter lens mount?
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
But I think this is the dilemma any camera manufacturer releasing a new body and mount will face. If it offers smaller, simpler, slower lenses, people will say "Where's the fast highly-corrected glass?". If it offers fast, highly-corrected glass, people will say "Why such big glass?". Of course, the manufacturer could wait until it has developed both before releasing the body, but by then it would need a refresh in design or technology to remain current. And the amount of investment at risk to develop and release a body and full range of both large / fast and small / slower glass at various focal lengths simultaneously would be huge...
09-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

The trend in FF lenses is on optical perfection, hence larger lenses, from all manufacturers. That equalizes the size differences between DSLR and mirrorless bodies.
The people who equate "small" and "mirrorless" are typically not MILC advocates, who have a whole list of advantages, with size almost an afterthought, if on the list at all. Basic lenses can be small, but beyond some point, physics takes over.

As you commented perfection seems to have taken over. Just compare the DFA* 50mm f/1.4 to the Takumar 50mm f/1.4.
09-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The DA40 XS is tiny.
Not intended to be as "perfect".
09-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But I think this is the dilemma any camera manufacturer releasing a new body and mount will face. If it offers smaller, simpler, slower lenses, people will say "Where's the fast highly-corrected glass?". If it offers fast, highly-corrected glass, people will say "Why such big glass?". Of course, the manufacturer could wait until it has developed both before releasing the body, but by then it would need a refresh in design or technology to remain current. And the amount of investment at risk to develop and release a body and full range of both large / fast and small / slower glass at various focal lengths simultaneously would be huge...
You can use one of the various adapters on your old EF glass.
09-11-2018, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new 24-70 f/2 is not even stabilized. It is so big as to be comical.

Frankly I think the extra 1 stop is not worth it over a 24-70 f/2.8. This trend towards bigger more corrected lenses is not very well thought out. The interview I posted earlier this week with Zeiss says it all. You can make the lenses bigger even than the Otus or any other large highly corrected lens, but at some point practical is impeded by this. He makes the point that heavily corrected zooms can outperform primes particularly in the middle of the range because it is easier to justify the extra complexity and cost in a zoom, but that today's super primes are pushing that boundary.

I wonder how popular the adapters will be. They have quite a few of them, I'm not sure how wise it was to not settle on a single feature set.

30MP is an odd place to put a 24-70 f/2 and a 50 1.2 statement lens. There must be a plan to bring higher resolution sensors to this platform.
09-11-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Yea, well I don’t really get the idea of mirrorless when it goes much more bigger. Huge expensive lenses. Huge choise of gear for gearheads. Huge prize tag! Huge camerabag and granted spot in center of attention. But I suppose it makes a huge difference in video guys too? And you need external things to make full advantage of video. So better have some rigging system available.