Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fuji 100mp medium and cheaper 50 mp model. Will Pentax follow?

It seems Fuji is now poised to release two new medium format cameras. A "budget friendly" 50mp camera and a 100mp monster. Fuji seems to be attacking the market the way many of wish Pentax would do. I guess the question is will Pentax try to keep pace or will they throw in the chips. I hope they keep the 645 series going, perhaps we will know soon or someone hear does. Will they release a new 645 soon?
What do you guys think?

09-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
It seems Fuji is now poised to release two new medium format cameras. A "budget friendly" 50mp camera and a 100mp monster. Fuji seems to be attacking the market the way many of wish Pentax would do. I guess the question is will Pentax try to keep pace or will they throw in the chips. I hope they keep the 645 series going, perhaps we will know soon or someone hear does. Will they release a new 645 soon?
What do you guys think?
I think they need to release some new ultra-wide primes to compete with Fuji and Hasselbald, after abandoning the 25mm without any replacement in sight...

No reason that Pentax shouldn't have access to the next MF Sony 100mp sensor, since they were the first or second to use the 50mp version, or maybe it was even made for them in the first place?

Last edited by mtgmansf; 09-13-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: addition
09-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess the question is will Pentax try to keep pace or will they throw in the chips
Pentax will continue to do what they do best, produce excellent products at a reasonable price. I hope they do bring out a new MF digital. I may even buy one.

The MF market is a very niche one. Not one that can be attacked.
09-13-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
(...)

No reason that Pentax shouldn't have access to the next MF Sony 100mp sensor, since they were the first or second to use the 50mp version, or maybe it was even made for them in the first place?
Three medium format cameras or backs using the Sony 50Mpix CMOS sensor were announced during a short period of time but the Pentax 645Z was actually the third: it was announced on 15 April 2014 whilst the PhaseOne IQ250 and the Hasselblad H5D-50c were announced in January and commercially available in March.

09-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
(...)

The MF market is a very niche one. Not one that can be attacked.
Isn't that just what Fujifilm are doing?
09-13-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Yes,
Increasingly this is a ruthlessly competitive business!
On a side note: Panasonic apparently is about to take on Sony, Nikon and Canon FF with a high end FF for stills as well as video at a 3000,- price tag....
Photokina is turning out to be quite the event.

Chris
09-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Depends whether they make any sales i suppose.

09-13-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you guys think?
Firstly, I'd say Fuji is attacking the market the way some people wish Pentax would. I don't perceive many to wish it; and - with respect - I certainly don't see any evidence of that.

Secondly, I think Pentax will continue to do what it's been doing for some considerable time - which is to walk its own path, not getting too caught up in competing at every level and in every section of the photographic marketplace.

Those who want fast and/or major change within Pentax are probably going to be disappointed, if they're not already. Conversely, those who might wish for some improvements here and there but are otherwise generally happy with the products will continue to be more-or-less satisfied with what's on offer... perhaps, occasionally, thrilled... yet, occasionally, disappointed if developments don't meet their very specific requirements - but still, more-or-less satisfied.

We'd all like to see things happening a little quicker, I think it's fair to say - but slow and steady is fine too if the products are good and it keeps Pentax viable as a brand

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.
09-13-2018, 01:38 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is making MF field cameras. Always have. The competition are studio tools.
09-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax is making MF field cameras. Always have. The competition are studio tools.
This is a great distinction.
09-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
This is a great distinction.
Maybe you 2 might go over to the Fuji forum and have a peek at the wildlife photos shot with the GFX in the Amazon jungle,some nice spotted pussy cats there.

---------- Post added 09-14-18 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Depends whether they make any sales i suppose.
They sold a few of the first model, a few more than they imagined.

Their statement was something like"we are surprised at HOW many GFX models have been sold".
09-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Their statement was something like"we are surprised at HOW many GFX models have been sold".
Pentax said something similar about the 645z, only in stronger terms. But it is most definitely time for an update!
09-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Pentax said something similar about the 645z, only in stronger terms.
Yes, they could,they were the only player in the game.

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
But it is most definitely time for an update!
Yes, but the ApscDslr /Q/K-01 series are in the same boat.
09-13-2018, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I agree 100% with 33% of that statement. Q I suspect is dead. K-01 was never a series, and is not likely to "replaced" anytime soon. K3x is overdue!

Last edited by rangercarp; 09-13-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
09-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Imagine if updates to all of those showed up at Photokina. That would make it quite a show!