Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
iPhone bokeh slider

The bokeh slider in the announced XS and XS max is a pretty interesting feature, I would say, considering you can do it ex post.

Apple Unveils the iPhone XS and XS MAX: Smart HDR and Bokeh Slider

09-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own a Pentax Q, but thought it's possible with the Q system as well (I am not sure).

Some Panasonic cameras can do it, too.
My Lumix DMC-LX5 has this feature (since the last firmware update).

I guess others do provide it also.
09-13-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What I found really interesting was the claim that this feature is entirely software-based. If this is truly the case then camera makers may soon be competing against Apple even more than they are now...

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I don't own a Pentax Q, but thought it's possible with the Q system as well (I am not sure).
With the Q it was all about adding BG blur, not removing it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With the Q it was all about adding BG blur, not removing it.
OK, I now read the linked description carefully.
And indeed, also the Lumix can only add blur.

But with the iPhone, the description does only say you can modify bokeh after you shot the picture by opening the edit feature. It does not say, how long after the shooting. As I understand, the trick may only be possible as long as you have not taken another picture. In this case it may work the same way the Apple Smart HDR does, with the 4 photo buffer and combining (and probably partly mixing) the in focus and out of focus areas from these 4 pictures. It may interpolate areas if the 4 version are not enough, the processor seems to be fast enough.

09-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shallow depth of field in the iPhone isn't there in the first place, it's always added after. It's just that in the default portrait mode, it is automatically put there. By increasing the depth of field with the slider, the iPhone just decreases the strength of the blur mask, that's it.

The effect is pretty decent for what it is. It has more trouble where part of the scene gradually recedes into the background.

I think in a few more years this type of technology will look pretty good. Right now the results are a little off-putting, but good enough for many people already.
09-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes it was scary to see that. That is what "we" the photograhers use for as WOW factor.

Soon your f1.2 lens is useless. SCARY.