Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I feel honored for starting a thread that has required two mods to intervene already...
All the systems are good, tailor the one that suits your needs.Be a fan of Quality not a brand!

Yes,definitely a badge of honour!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-19-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Moderation actions discussed.
09-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Thank you. I do have better images but I don't have time to edit wildlife images because I have a lot of portraits to edit. These are saved on my phone because my nephews like these birds (bee eaters) and because I'm crazy about kingfisher.

Get close to the subject to get sharp images with lots of details. Use a tripod and lower the shutter speed to maintain a low ISO. The kingfisher image (the one in the middle) was taken at 600mm and 1/320s.

The image from below was taken with Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary at 600mm, f8, ISO 640, 1/400s (from a tripod). This is a 100% crop of the image. For a lens that costs 500$ second hand or 17$ for rent, it does the job just fine for stationary subjects.

The one from below was taken a month ago in Monte Carlo, with a 35mm lens on a full frame camera. I know that it has blue sky in the background and Biz-engineer doesn't enjoy birds with sky in the background, but I like it. I have about 200 images with BIF taken with lenses with focal lenght under 200mm, but I'm not trying to convince anyone that wide lenses are better for BIF images than tele lenses. That's why I say over and over again that you can take great BIF images with K1, but that doesn't mean that the camera is a proper tool for action photography.
Thanks for the tips Dan, I will give it a shot.
09-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #183
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
All the systems are good, tailor the one that suits your needs.Be a fan of Quality not a brand!

Yes,definitely a badge of honour!

Absolutely. If I could warrant the financial implications of owning Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Fuji Panasonic and Olympus gear I'd own them all... Because I enjoy both photography and camera technology. And I find it beneficial to the photographic market as well as the photographer that so many companies are still in it, trying to develop their systems.. no one is the definitive champ objectively, so it can be interesting to discuss the merits and pitfalls of each system.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.
09-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
owning Canon Nikon Sony
Only own these in P/S or bridge cams.

Pentax Fuji Panasonic and Olympus
Own these ones in ILCs as well as Damsung(D for deserted)...i actually prefer the "niche" brands..

Because I enjoy both photography and camera technology.
How sweet it is, we only have to look at whats happening this year to see how all the brands have pushed forward with their developments.

And I find it beneficial to the photographic market as well as the photographer that so many companies are still in it, trying to develop their systems.. no one is the definitive champ objectively, so it can be interesting to discuss the merits and pitfalls of each system.
Competition breeds development,theres never a champ...just market share and camera features.(OH, and some years new lenses!)

Last edited by surfar; 09-19-2018 at 06:59 PM.
09-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Experience told you that you will get the images tomorow if you can't take it today. Experience taught me other things: try and get the shot today because tomorow you may have a bad weather or the bird will not be in the same spot where you put the hide.
You are not so serious if the ranger calls you and the birds wait for you within 4 to 8 meters from the hide (please don''t move, Dan is coming to take pictures of you... ). In my case, I take an appointment with the birds directly .

Joke aside. I also drive to your place, and since it is far away , I stay from 3 to 10 days, usually week end day are not good. In order to have hide not paid attention by the birds, it need to stay for long, not only setup during the night and two hours later the birds come. I know that the weather can be bad one day, or the other, if first days are not good, I figure why and if it's worth staying longer or not, I adapt depending on situation. For me, it is more important to have time than to have non-Pentax gear, across time, you will have absence of birds, some birds but too far, some bird but too late in the day (not enough light) and, eventually if you persist, the day will come that you will finally have the conditions united, and until this time when the conditions are there, the expensive non-Pentax gear will be in standby mode.

try and get the shot today because tomorow you may have a bad weather or the bird will not be in the same spot where you put the hide
and it may start a local rain today and weather be better tomorrow. How does camera equipment have any effect on this?

Pro wildlife photographers don't share much of their "secrets", beginners have to go through a long trial and error route in order to eventually get very good wildlife photographs worth paying attention to.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-20-2018 at 02:25 AM.
09-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #186
Pentaxian

K-3ii to D500... Is this the right move?
Its not the wrong move,however with the rumours the way they are!

I would wait till you know exactly what RI are going to come up with.It may be very very good,something unexpected.

The downside is the secretiveness that they have.There is a lens roadmap,I dont see why a loose body roadmap couldnt be available???

---------- Post added 09-20-18 at 05:18 PM ----------

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-20-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Removed response to deleted content
09-19-2018, 11:57 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
all the rest remains to be done.
Yes, definitely...Any Apsc Pentax shooter "thinking" of another system should just be patient(imo).

$$$ony have an announcement today, i dont know if its the successor to the A6500???(or just a piece of glass)Rumours have compared it to a mini A9,meaning a fast Apsc with a new stacked sensor.It may be better than the XT3??? price is rumoured to be less.All speculative of course.But so was M/L FF CaNik and thats history.

Personally,i'm being patient with Pentax on the back of the Samsung rumour.

The choice may be difficult, but not having to sell glass makes it easy IF RI bring a body that does the job.

Last edited by surfar; 09-20-2018 at 12:08 AM.
09-20-2018, 01:25 AM - 2 Likes   #188
Veteran Member

Joke aside. I also drive to your place, and since it is far away , I stay from 3 to 10 days, usually week end day are not good. In order to have hide not paid attention by the birds, it need to stay for long, not only setup during the night and two hours later the birds come. I know that the weather can be bad one day, or the other, if first days are not good, I figure why and if it's worth staying longer or not, I adapt depending on situation. For me, it is more important to have time than to have non-Pentax gear, across time, you will have absence of birds, some birds but too far, some bird but too late in the day (not enough light) and, eventually if you persist, the day will come that you will finally have the conditions united, and until this time when the conditions are there, the expensive non-Pentax gear will be in standby mode.
I usually go photograph in places that are not for tourists. Because wild birds are not friends with tourists.

You tell me that the bird doesn't come and pose for me from a short distance with the setup that I told you, yet I learned from pro photographers which I go out with to be in the tent before sunrise and leave after sunset in order to avoid stressing the birds. I don't need to install the tent a month before the shooting day.

Taken from that tent installed later in the evening and I came back to the tent at 4am in the morning. The hide was near the nest and I took this images with a long prime at around 10:00 am. I have images with this birds taken from far away, but I got the chance to have also some tight portraits. And I took quite a few portraits that day from my tent installed a day before. It works quite well this setup for a lot of wildlife photographers (beginners or Pros). I'm at work and these images were downloaded from my Facebook page so the quality is not the best.

and it may start a local rain today and weather be better tomorrow. How does camera equipment have any effect on this? please tell me.
You can't have a solution based on suppositions. "What if the weather...?", "what if the bird...?", what if the gear...?". I deal with these suppositions when they arise. I'd rather be ready today than waiting for a better day tomorow. If tomorow will be a better day (much more activity from birds, better wheater conditions, etc.) then I will have the today images and also the tomorow images.

Pro wildlife photographers don't share much of their "secrets", beginners have to go through a long trial and error route in order to eventually get very good wildlife photographs worth paying attention to.
People who read what I wrote maybe noted a few things that work in practice, things that I learned from Pros.

1. I explained a way to practice (a tip from Pros) by using a plastic pipe and try to follow birds from your balcony. You can do this regardless of the weather and it's very important to keep the bird in the frame as long as you can.
2. I explained earlier and also now how you can get results when you use a hide (a tent, a camouflage net, etc.). You install the tent a day before, you go to the tent before sunrise and leave after sunset. Complete silence, no smoking, no phone, no sudden moves, no food that have a strong smell and a large bottle if you want to take a leak
3. Use a tripod with gimbal head even when you have a light lens. After 2-3 hours it will start to become heavy even the light gear if you don't have a tripod with you.
4. Learn about bird behavior so that you know a few things about the bird and adjust your af system properly.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-20-2018 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Removed argumentative responses
09-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #189

Just to chime in with my story. Not trying to persuade anyone into anything, just sharing my thoughts and hoping to help the OP.

I started my DSLR journey with a great little Pentax K-r. It offered a lot for its' price, more than the equivalent Canikon models. I quickly realized I loved photography and started buying all sorts of lenses...old manual focus Takumars and later on modern DA* lenses as well. In the meantime I also bought a K-30 when it was released.

I also started to do more and more wildlife since it was an area I liked the most. I bought a 70-200/2.8 Tamron which I liked a lot, but it was short as well. I then came to a chance of buying a Sigma 150-500, which I did. I loved the reach, but the IQ was poor on the long end. So I ended up with a DA*300 and a TC I loved it. Even with its' sluggish AF. When it hit it was gorgeous, but I couldn't really rely on it. So it was either a K-3 or a jump to another brand.
I chose the latter. Ended up selling my quite large collection of Pentax lenses and making the switch to a Nikon D7100.

It was quite a step up in regards to AF-C. True, I'm comparing to a K-30 here whereas the K-3 would probably have been a step up as well, but still...I went at first with the same setup of lenses as on the Pentax. An AF-S 80-200/2.8 Nikon and the AF-S 300/4 Nikon with a TC. When Tamron announced its' first 150-600mm I sold the 300mm and bought the Tamron immediately. I also added a D600 to my setup as well in the mean time. The FX look was in my eyes a lot better than the APS-C when I could fill the frame. But I really hated the small aperture of f6.3. I also needed to stop the Tamron to f8 to get maximum sharpness. Since I was shooting with the D600 most of the time (even though the D7100 offered more reach and better AF), I sold both bodies and bought the D750, which I still own (4 years now).

After having the Tamron for about a year and a half, I sold it and went on to buy a Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport with both matching TCs. It's a big and heavy lens, but the IQ is phenomenal. With the 1.4x TC attached the IQ barely takes a hit. The 2x TC shows image degradation but is still usable, especially for short distances of up to 20m or so. The AF with the 2x TC takes a hit, but with a D750 it's still good enough to track birds (larger birds) flying head on. What I like about the 120-300 is its' versatility. I can choose to have a somewhat shorter tele but with a large f2.8 aperture or I can add a TC and make it a 240-600/5.6 zoom.

After 4 years of owning a D750 I'm now pondering whether to add a D500 to my setup strictly for long reach situations or saving my money and eventually getting the D850. What I would really like though is a proper D750 replacement...

Again, these are my own thoughts and I completely understand not everyone would feel the same way, but this worked for ME.
09-20-2018, 02:47 AM - 3 Likes   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to reiterate what I said earlier, it is fine for the OP to move on if he thinks that his gear is holding him back. This is a Pentax Forum and of course we are biased towards Pentax. We have seen plenty of wildlife and bird shots with Pentax gear that are great and we know that they are possible. That said, maybe they are a lot easier with a different brand. I wouldn't have said that Pentax's focus was on sport or wildlife and while you can shoot those things with Pentax cameras, maybe if that is a primary focus, others brands are better.

I do think I would try the DFA 150-450 before moving on. It seems like a relatively simple thing to do and maybe it bumps up the number of keepers to a tolerable amount. I do think that this type of photography can get pretty expensive -- mainly because of the top end glass's cost. It's probably why I stuck with landscapes and photos of my kids...
09-20-2018, 03:30 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Honestly, I do not think Pentax will catch-up to the auto focus the OP requires for his wildlife shooting, at least not by the release of their new flagship K3ii replacement. The D500 auto focus seems to be leaps ahead of what Pentax has in the works. I'm just being brutally honest. I hate pushing another brand here, but I think the Nikon is the right move. It was designed with wildlife photography in mind. If the OP wants to plop down the 1800 for the body, that's his call.

The OP could be patient and wait, but I truly feel it will be for naught. Pentax really has to step up to the plate with their auto-focus system. This is just my opinion of course, obviously, opinions will vary and opinions are not facts. So, who knows?

Last edited by kevinWE; 09-20-2018 at 03:36 AM.
09-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks again for everyone chiming in here... Much more activity than I had initially expected from this thread.

Just want to add a note.
Seems a common theme here is commenting on, "if OP wants to drop money on Nikon body". But in reality I (the OP) will likely be dropping the same amount on a new K-3ii successor, right?

Don't we expect the K-3ii successor to be in the $1600-$1800 range?
I mean it's all in theory anyways since nothing has been announced yet, but there WILL be a cost associated with it. So regardless there's money to be dropped somewhere.

Also, the D500 can be found around $1200-$1300 used right now.
That's a pretty good deal in my opinion.

I'm trying to find a DFA 150-450 in that same price range and it's difficult to say the least.
09-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Honestly, I do not think Pentax will catch-up to the auto focus the OP requires for his wildlife shooting,
I'm wondering why you think that?

The D500 auto focus seems to be leaps ahead of what Pentax has in the works.
Only people with inside info know whats in the works Kev,What i think they have in the works might leave the D500 in the dust.

. So, who knows?

Yes, only the engineer knows...i hope he tells the marketing guy,who doubles as the YouTube producer,who also is the cleaner!

Theres also the new $$$ony thats been pimped as a Mini A9,stacked sensor and all.Rumoured to be U$1300 but that could be way off?

Patience is the key word here,this year has seen plenty of new stuff,all of which is outstanding.The D500 is very capable but its OLD,new will come along.
09-20-2018, 04:31 AM   #194
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks again for everyone chiming in here... Much more activity than I had initially expected from this thread.

Just want to add a note.
Seems a common theme here is commenting on, "if OP wants to drop money on Nikon body". But in reality I (the OP) will likely be dropping the same amount on a new K-3ii successor, right?

I mean it's all in theory anyways since nothing has been announced yet, but there WILL be a cost associated with it. So regardless there's money to be dropped somewhere.

Also, the D500 can be found around $1200-$1300 used right now.
That's a pretty good deal in my opinion.

I'm trying to find a DFA 150-450 in that same price range and it's difficult to say the least.
With the K-1ii at $1,896.95, and the KP at $869.94, I think a new K-3iii (or whatever it's going to be called) would struggle to sell for $1,800. Maybe a $1,200 to $1,300? Certainly $1,400 max.

But, to me, it sounds like you've made your decision.
09-20-2018, 04:37 AM   #195
Pentaxian

I'm not sure it can be that much.Reason being the A7iii sets the benchmark at 2K. Importantly $$$ony have remained silent with the CaNikUji releases of late.I know their Apsc top end is ready, as is the A7Siii,also a loose rumour is they have a barebones A5 line coming(now that could be complete Fake News too).This A5 will undercut in price every FF.So RI cant stray their prices too close to the A7iii territory.$$$ony could also cut its price???

Lets hope RI issue a development update on the next Apsc?