Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leica Sigma Panasonic working together.

Announced Sept 25th

Looks like CaNik have a major challenger!

These 3 will move heavily on FF market.Using the SL mount.

Last edited by surfar; 09-20-2018 at 02:02 PM.
09-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting combination. I can’t imagine why Sigma would have been included in this group, unless Panasonic is looking for a lower-cost line of lenses to go with their new bodies.

PS - what’s your source? I can only find a scheduled media conference for Leica on 25 September.
09-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes

Pano/Leica have the association for a long while with M43 mount.

Its unclear at this stage exactly whats happening but "they" will concentrate on the glass.Its been suggested the existing Sigma mount will be abandoned.

The Panasonic FF will be released with at least 6 lenses,A prototype unveiled at PhotoKina.

Say Hello to RobB!
09-20-2018, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting combination. I can’t imagine why Sigma would have been included in this group, unless Panasonic is looking for a lower-cost line of lenses to go with their new bodies.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Pano/Leica have the association for a long while with M43 mount.

Its unclear at this stage exactly whats happening but "they" will concentrate on the glass.Its been suggested the existing Sigma mount will be abandoned.

The Panasonic FF will be released with at least 6 lenses,A prototype unveiled at PhotoKina.
Just over a year ago now, Sigma was rumoured to have designed the Panasonic Leica 12mm f/1.4 for MFT; that rumour arising due to the design patent filed by Sigma:

The Panasonic-Leica 12mm f/1.4 has been actually designed by Sigma - 43 Rumors

I don't know if it has been verified, but if it has, clearly the group association has been in place for a while...

09-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't know if it has been verified, but if it has, clearly the group association has been in place for a while...
Sigma has M43 mounts too,so Yes probably been brewing up behind the scenes for a while.

What a month IF all the speculation comes to fruition.

Your and Marks FAV Youtuber has revealed Info that its highly likely the Samsung sensor is in the XT3, Ricoh are supposed to have it and a new processor to partner it.I HOPE this is correct!

---------- Post added 09-21-18 at 09:24 AM ----------

I can only find a scheduled media conference for Leica on 25 September.
The Panasonic announcement scheduled the same day.
09-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can understand the MFT lens connection, but the SL mount is another prospect entirely. I shouldn’t have thought that the existing market for SL lenses was all that large, so on that basis the expectations for sales of the new Panasonic FF body must be very high.

I guess that, by association with Leica, Sigma will gain greater credibility as a high-price lens maker.
09-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
so on that basis the expectations for sales of the new Panasonic FF body must be very high.
I suppose CaNik will be taking that view too.They will definitely sell lots of their new systems.

In Panasonics case,well this is an adventure for sure.I think its better to go to war with some Allies than singularly.

6-8 weeks ago,there was No News...now its everyday(on the big island),i hope Ricoh can get in the "picture"!

09-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

6-8 weeks ago,there was No News...now its everyday(on the big island),i hope Ricoh can get in the "picture"!
Ricoh will do what it feels is right, whether or not that means joining everyone else in big announcements, or continuing to walk it's own path (I suspect the latter, with a few muted surprises along the way, perhaps). Either way, what Ricoh does next won't be to everyone's liking, and as both Nikon and Canon have already experienced this early on in their product releases, the wolves will be out in force
09-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the wolves will be out in force
The uninformed Wolves!...All the experts that think they can handle a camera and know its intricasies in a matter of hours.

Sony Southbound has 139000 views of his wrong carded rant(that was yesterday).I'm wondering if Canon will give him an invitation again?

---------- Post added 09-21-18 at 10:36 AM ----------

Ricoh will do what it feels is right,
Ricoh has to make a move or risk getting left further behind.

The people asking for Apsc wont hang around forever!Espescially with what the other companies have unveiled or are about to unveil.

All roads lead to Korea!
09-20-2018, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh has to make a move or risk getting left further behind.

The people asking for Apsc wont hang around forever!Espescially with what the other companies have unveiled or are about to unveil.
Honestly, I think you underestimate the amount of loyalty towards the brand, and general satisfaction with the products.

Are a few people frustrated by the lack of a K-3II replacement? Yes, undoubtedly. In fact, we'd all like to see some progress in that area. But those who are ready to jump ship over the wait probably weren't all that likely to stay with Pentax in the long term anyway, IMHO. A good portion of those that move to another brand will flit to yet another a few months or years down the road, and another after that. We see those folks here quite often, and you find them in other forums too. It's a little more obvious in a brand-specific environment, though.

Most people with a decent investment in good K-mount AF glass, and who basically like the cameras they have (or had) but want the new model, aren't going anywhere soon. There'll be a few jumpers, but that's OK. I don't think they will be significant in the scheme of things

As for being "left further behind", I'll say what I've said many times already, and will keep on saying... In my opinion, Ricoh Imaging / Pentax is walking its own path. There's no sense comparing to Nikon, Canon etc. No-one compares Leica to those brands. I'm not saying Pentax is the same as Leica, but nor is it comparable to Nikon or Canon. But for those who are more concerned about whether their cameras and lenses are leading edge and market leaders, they're going to be disappointed with Pentax. If they should move on, so be it. Like I said, those folks may well switch between several brands in the coming months and years
09-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think you underestimate the amount of loyalty towards the brand,
OK, back 50ish years ago when i first picked up a Pentax...it was THE brand! I wonder where all that loyalty went?

Did all those users die(we know some have).

Pentax is yesterdays hero,the fallen idol....It will still retain the diehards and they will die being a Pentax user.

Its a brand that can disappear with a Ricoh board room decision at anytime. I dont think that will happen but to survive it has to not continually shrink.

I'm optimistic that the Samsung connection will happen,then its a lottery win atmosphere...ha ha
09-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps a full-frame Sigma camera with the Foveon sensor and the Leica SL mount??
09-20-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, back 50ish years ago when i first picked up a Pentax...it was THE brand! I wonder where all that loyalty went?
That's your mistake, with respect. Much of that loyalty didn't go anywhere. However, the company went through huge changes, the market went through huge changes, the company changed hands (more than once). Pentax simply isn't the same Pentax from way back when. The K-mount remains, the brand remains, but Pentax is just a small part of the Ricoh Imaging division. It bears no resemblance to the brand and company from the 1950s that you started out with, and we have no reason to believe Ricoh wants to get it back to that size or market dominance. We have to look at its capabilities based on its current size, market and remaining user base. It's nothing like the size of Nikon, Canon, Sony - so there's no sense comparing them and expecting Pentax to keep up in every (or even any) area.

Pentax is yesterdays hero,the fallen idol....
With respect (again), that's a somewhat negative outlook. Comments like these don't help much if at all. Let's try to remain positive in our outlook for Pentax whatever Ricoh is planning, and not look to the past all dewy-eyed, however sentimental we might be... for our own sakes, and readers of these PentaxForums
09-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
With respect (again), that's a somewhat negative outlook.
Not at all,its realistic.

Pentax dominated the display windows of camera stores.

Times change of course, market dominance(whatever that can be defined as?) is temporary.Canon is riding out the front of the wave...RI/Pentax is deep in the tube wanting to get out!
09-20-2018, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Not at all,its realistic.
It's negative, IMHO. It's one thing to say the brand of these forums isn't as dominant as it used to be. To call it a fallen idol is bordering on inflammatory, though.

I guess I see limited value - within these forums, specifically - in being so enthusiastic about every new development from other brands, then comparing Pentax to them with a hope that it will somehow save itself by following suit or jumping ahead, when it clearly isn't positioned to do so in terms of investment and resources. I don't see that as a positive thing for those outside our forums to read, nor the many loyal Pentax shooters here. But I think you know I respect your views (even if I disagree), and there will be a few here that might agree with you