Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2018 Photokina - DSLRs

Is this the first Photokina without any manufacturer announcing a new DSLR? I mean since DSLRs became mainstream of course. Did I miss an announcement? Did Canon or Nikon announce any new DSLRs this year?

How many companies announced or showed new mirrorless bodies?

09-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You didn't miss anything. There were no new DSLRs announced.

It's easy to see why... Nikon and Canon were obviously concentrating on getting their mirrorless models ready. Olympus, Fujifilm, Sony and Panasonic haven't made DSLRs for some time, so we wouldn't have expected new DSLRs from them. Ricoh Imaging released the Pentax K-1II DSLR just a few months ago, and has announced the forthcoming GRIII, so we can see where it has been focusing its resources. Whilst some of us would like to see a K-3II replacement, very few would have expected it to be announced at this Photokina.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of new DSLRs going forward, but Nikon and Canon are likely to spread their development and product releases between both DSLR and mirrorless from now on, I think...
09-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Panasonic where closest to release a SLR camera.
Attached Images

09-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it is the first of many Photokina shows with no new DSLRs!

09-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe it is the first of many Photokina shows with no new DSLRs!
I seriously doubt that. Nikon and Canon's expansion into mirrorless full frame means there'll almost certainly be fewer DSLR models from them, but I'd bet they've a bunch of pro users who don't want mirrorless, and certainly not with only one memory slot. So I think we'll see new DSLRs for that reason alone, just not as many...
09-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You didn't miss anything. There were no new DSLRs announced.

It's easy to see why... Nikon and Canon were obviously concentrating on getting their mirrorless models ready. Olympus, Fujifilm, Sony and Panasonic haven't made DSLRs for some time, so we wouldn't have expected new DSLRs from them. Ricoh Imaging released the Pentax K-1II DSLR just a few months ago, and has announced the forthcoming GRIII, so we can see where it has been focusing its resources. Whilst some of us would like to see a K-3II replacement, very few would have expected it to be announced at this Photokina.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of new DSLRs going forward, but Nikon and Canon are likely to spread their development and product releases between both DSLR and mirrorless from now on, I think...
It is still an industry first. The biggest news is coming from Leica/Panasonic/Sigma with the L-mount and Fuji with its medium format expansion. Sony was pretty quiet with only the vague announcement of 12 new E-mount lenses, but A-mount has one foot in the grave. Olympus celebrates its 100th anniversary next year, so they are holding some new products for launch early 2019.

Nikon and Canon entering the MILC with FF bodies alone represents a pretty big shift in the industry.
09-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It is still an industry first. The biggest news is coming from Leica/Panasonic/Sigma with the L-mount and Fuji with its medium format expansion. Sony was pretty quiet with only the vague announcement of 12 new E-mount lenses, but A-mount has one foot in the grave. Olympus celebrates its 100th anniversary next year, so they are holding some new products for launch early 2019.

Nikon and Canon entering the MILC with FF bodies alone represents a pretty big shift in the industry.
Sure, I agree... it's undoubtedly significant. These are pretty exciting times, all thing considered. The Leica/Panny/Sigma joint venture is the most interesting thing for me, watching from the sidelines. I think there's huge potential in that
09-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I seriously doubt that. Nikon and Canon's expansion into mirrorless full frame means there'll almost certainly be fewer DSLR models from them, but I'd bet they've a bunch of pro users who don't want mirrorless, and certainly not with only one memory slot. So I think we'll see new DSLRs for that reason alone, just not as many...
The next generation of mirrorless from Canon and Nikon will probably have 2 card slots and many new professional features. Sony didn't add the second card slot until the 3rd generation. Obviously we are going to continue to see 1D and D5 DSLRs for the next few years, but I think cameras like the 5DIV are going to take a big hit. The 5DIV is Canon's camera for hybrid shooters and mirrorless has some very clear advantages for hybrid shooters.

09-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The next generation of mirrorless from Canon and Nikon will probably have 2 card slots and many new professional features. Sony didn't add the second card slot until the 3rd generation. Obviously we are going to continue to see 1D and D5 DSLRs for the next few years, but I think cameras like the 5DIV are going to take a big hit. The 5DIV is Canon's camera for hybrid shooters and mirrorless has some very clear advantages for hybrid shooters.
You could be right... and yet, the 5DMkIV is also the top stills DSLR in Canon's range for those who consider the 1D series overkill. I'd hazard a guess that there are pro 5D-series shooters who simply don't like mirrorless. Of course, they might soften their stance in time
09-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You could be right... and yet, the 5DMkIV is also the top stills DSLR in Canon's range for those who consider the 1D series overkill. I'd hazard a guess that there are pro 5D-series shooters who simply don't like mirrorless. Of course, they might soften their stance in time
The 5D line is Canon's top stills camera in that range, but those shooters were also the ones most likely to add a Sony body to their bag. Sony's early success didn't come because people were abandoning Canon DSLRs for Sony A7 series. Sony's early success was due to Canon 5D shooters adding a Sony body to their bag. This is why Sony's ability to adapt to Canon glass with fast AF was so important. The A7III is the first camera to really surpass the 5DIV is just about every way. The new Canon mirrorless is just an effort by Canon to keep Sony out of the bag as a second body right now. Canon is a generation or two away from being able to replace its own 5DIV with a mirrorless camera. Sony, however, is to the point of exceeding cameras like the 5DIV.
09-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 5D line is Canon's top stills camera in that range, but those shooters were also the ones most likely to add a Sony body to their bag. Sony's early success didn't come because people were abandoning Canon DSLRs for Sony A7 series. Sony's early success was due to Canon 5D shooters adding a Sony body to their bag. This is why Sony's ability to adapt to Canon glass with fast AF was so important. The A7III is the first camera to really surpass the 5DIV is just about every way. The new Canon mirrorless is just an effort by Canon to keep Sony out of the bag as a second body right now. Canon is a generation or two away from being able to replace its own 5DIV with a mirrorless camera. Sony, however, is to the point of exceeding cameras like the 5DIV.
Except that Sony's cameras have EVFs, being mirrorless. That's fine for me, but some folks just don't like EVFs. For that reason, no matter how much Nikon and Canon develop their mirrorless lines, I believe there's going to be a market for their DSLRs. It'll shrink somewhat, but it'll still exist.
09-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Except that Sony's cameras have EVFs, being mirrorless. That's fine for me, but some folks just don't like EVFs. For that reason, no matter how much Nikon and Canon develop their mirrorless lines, I believe there's going to be a market for their DSLRs. It'll shrink somewhat, but it'll still exist.
I said up above that I was talking about hybrid shooters. People who shoot both stills and video. Nobody is shooting video with an OVF. The 5DIV is the top FF camera for hybrid shooters in the Canon line-up.
09-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think it's the end of DSLRs as the centerpiece for camera companies. DSLRs still have the edge for a few things like more very long native lenses and weather-sealing on pro bodies but that will change with the next couple iterations of mirrorless. That being said, I think the DSLR will be around for a long time, but on the sideline of the photographic world.

I don't think that's a bad thing. For one, we might see a lot of DSLRs drop in price because of the additional competition. Not only that, but DSLRs will be produced as long as people are willing to buy them. For example, a company like Pentax might choose to focus mostly on DSLRs because there is a market for that, while everyone else is moving to mirrorless.

There is also the fact Nikon just released the D850, the 5div is only a couple years old, and Pentax just released the K1. So the companies that ARE still focused on DSLRs are probably not ready to unveil the next model.
09-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It was actually one DSLR revealed at Photokina - Leica S3. It is kind of ironic that Leica where alone at it as they are best known for mirrorless cameras.