Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

yep. the IBIS is insane. on a DSLR you never get to see it in action, but on a mirrorless you can half press the shutter and boom, the image is dead still. it's really out of this world. same goes for the AF and burst speeds. very impressive.

11-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't think Ricoh has an answer.

It amazing to see how bad the AF was on the X-Pro 1 and then see the XT-3. Fuji has done an amazing job improving their products and listening to their customers. I understand why people love the company and products.
The really sad thing is how impressed I was with the X-Pro 1 autofocus after using Pentax. The AF in the Fuji was light years ahead.
11-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The really sad thing is how impressed I was with the X-Pro 1 autofocus after using Pentax. The AF in the Fuji was light years ahead.
Yeah. Its all relative to what you have been using. I went from the K-1 to the A9 and its night and day difference.
11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah. Its all relative to what you have been using. I went from the K-1 to the A9 and its night and day difference.
Shhhhhhhh. Don't say it loud.

I went from K3II to XT-2 and now XT-3 and K-1 to A7RIII and I feel like I speak two new languages.

11-20-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #20

Figured out how to configure X-T3 e-dials to behave almost like a Pentax in TAv mode

QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
I just got one. It’ll be my Birds In Flight camera. I’ll leave the macro and landscape stuff for my K-1. I wanted to use the X-T3’s front and rear dials to control the aperture and shutter respectively, à la K-1, but alas, that is simply not possible, so my muscle memory has to consider another workflow. BTW, I shot with Pentax SLRs back in the 80s, so using the aperture ring on my new Fujinon lens and the top-mounted shutter speed control on the X-T3 is not a big issue. But still.
Update.

If one sets the top-plate shutter dial to "T", then the shutter speed e-dial, which I believe is by default the rear e-dial, has access to the full range of speeds, not just the +/- 2/3 stop range centered around the top-plate shutter dial value.

I also put all my XF lenses in "A" mode, and through some other setting (I forget which), I am able to use the front e-dial to set the aperture.

In effect, you bypass the mechanical aperture ring and shutter dial.

Lastly, I set the ISO dial to "A", and configure my camera's AUTO ISO with a minimum shutter speed value. The camera will automatically adjust the ISO whenever that minimum shutter speed cannot be satisfied. This means T and Av will be honoured, and ISO is dependent on those two settings. Exposure compensation is at the expense of shutter speed whenever the minimum shutter speed can still be maintained; otherwise, it is at the expense of ISO.

The net is you are in manual mode with Auto ISO.
——-
Another Update.

Currently, I am experimenting (with above customized settings) with having the mechanical shutter dial, my lenses, and the ISO dial all set to “A”. You are in aperture priority mode with auto ISO, and using the front e-dial. No need to futz with the aperture ring or dedicated mechanical dials.

Last edited by gavinhw; 11-21-2018 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Another update, for Pentax-like Aperture priority.
11-21-2018, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
Update.

If one sets the top-plate shutter dial to "T", then the shutter speed e-dial, which I believe is by default the rear e-dial, has access to the full range of speeds, not just the +/- 2/3 stop range centered around the top-plate shutter dial value.

I also put all my XF lenses in "A" mode, and through some other setting (I forget which), I am able to use the front e-dial to set the aperture.

In effect, you bypass the mechanical aperture ring and shutter dial.

Lastly, I set the ISO dial to "A", and configure my camera's AUTO ISO with a minimum shutter speed value. The camera will automatically adjust the ISO whenever that minimum shutter speed cannot be satisfied. This means T and Av will be honoured, and ISO is dependent on those two settings.
Interesting. I just received my silver X-T3 today and have been briefly playing with it (only have the kit lens so far but planning on getting the 56mm 1.2 in the near future).
11-21-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Interesting. I just received my silver X-T3 today and have been briefly playing with it (only have the kit lens so far but planning on getting the 56mm 1.2 in the near future).
56mm and 90mm are some of the best Lenses I have ever used.

11-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't wait to see some of your portrait work with this Fuji system.
12-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Can't wait to see some of your portrait work with this Fuji system.
I think I'm finally getting the hang of the X-T3. So far I am quite happy with the 56mm which I mostly shoot wide open with quite good results.

Last edited by LeRolls; 12-15-2018 at 10:05 PM.
12-15-2018, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'm finally getting the hang of the X-T3. So far I am quite happy with the 56mm which I mostly shoot wide open with quite good results.

Best combo. I have been having the same since X-T1. 56mm is ONE OF THE BEST
12-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It looks like there is some pretty bad CA along the top of her right forearm? Was that not correctable in post processing?
12-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

It looks like there is some pretty bad CA along the top of her right forearm? Was that not correctable in post processing?
Did what I could in LR. Not sure if I would categorize it as "pretty bad" but it is definitely there.
12-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Did what I could in LR. Not sure if I would categorize it as "pretty bad" but it is definitely there.
I don't see it on my iPad, but on my desktop its pretty obvious. But I'm using a 38" ultra-wide so the image is 11X17 without zooming in. I don't think I've ever seen CA from the 56mm F/1.2 before.
04-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

The recent firmware update 3.0 fixed one of my main concern with the X-T3, the ability to choose between different faces with the joystick is finally here!

I've tried with 3 people in the frame and it's been a pleasure to switch face detection focus.

On top of that the sensitivity and tracking has been hugely improved, the algorithm was able to track 3 quickly moving faces about 6-7 meters away (in daylight) in af-c mode.
I haven't tested to the limit yet, but it's been a nice update so far...congrats to Fuji!
04-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New firmware 3.0 is amazing!