Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregL65 Quote
The lens was never produced. I don't think it ever had any more description than what I posted. It was on the lens roadmap for a while, and there was that one picture. Then it dropped off of the roadmap. As far as I know, that's all. I don't think even a prototype was ever shown publicly.
So, there isn't any evidence that it was ever even developed - so it may not move them any closer to another MILC {basically the point I was trying to make}.

My belief is that if Pentax were to enter the MILC, they should plan to use standard K-mount lenses. A camera like the K-01 isn't essentially any larger than a Z-mount or EOS-R camera in use. The real advantage of those cameras over a DSLR would be in EVF, videography, and fps.

03-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A 10-30mm APS-C zoom would probably be huge even with a max aperture around f4. A lens noticeably larger than the 12-24, on the K-01, sounds fairly awful from an ergonomics standpoint.
03-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregL65 Quote
The 2012 roadmap included a K-mount lens that could not be used with a mirror, because part of the lens went deep into the mirrorbox. See the top lens shown in this article, labeled "Pentax K-01 lens":

Pentax lens roadmap for 2012 - Photo Rumors

On the roadmap images, it was listed as "DA Wide Zoom". In this article, PentaxForums staff indicated that they believed it would be approximately 10-30mm:

Pentax Publishes Updated Lens Roadmap - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

But I don't think the lens looks like a zoom, so there could be a disconnect somewhere. I see one knurled ring next the mount that appears to be for grasping the lens when mounting and dismounting it, and another one that appears to be for focusing. But it could be that the mockup was incomplete. It's certainly much smaller than Sigma's 10-20/4.5-5.6.

The lens was obviously meant for the K-01 along with any future mirrorless K-mount bodies. But with the addition of mechanical mirror lockup, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a standard K-mount DSLR, in Live View mode. I think it would require mechanical mirror lockup because otherwise I think the mirror flaps back down if you turn the camera off (or just take it out of Live View mode).

Back in the film SLR days, I believe Nikon had a 220-degree fisheye that went too deep into the mirrorbox to allow the mirror to flap. You had to mount the lens, compose on a tripod, then dismount the lens, lock up the mirror, remount the lens, and finally take your shot.
This was that what I ment.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, there isn't any evidence that it was ever even developed - so it may not move them any closer to another MILC {basically the point I was trying to make}.

My belief is that if Pentax were to enter the MILC, they should plan to use standard K-mount lenses. A camera like the K-01 isn't essentially any larger than a Z-mount or EOS-R camera in use. The real advantage of those cameras over a DSLR would be in EVF, videography, and fps.
There need not to be much more evidence. It has been dropped. But wether you like it or not, Pentax has been thinking of possibility of what getting rear element closer to sensor. And advantage of that. I suppose that they dropped it just because of probem of if it was K-mount. I also think that they will not drop K-mount. I think that advantage of mirrorless in video is not actually so. Maybe little a bit, but problem of overheating sensor -> loosing image quality, will be there. FPS for sure. But for example Canon new RF zoom series show that size can be redused. We will see if optically it still is at same quality, or even better or worse.

But that can't be said that pentax has not been thinking of possibility. K-01 was ahead of it's time.
02-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
See number seven

Recap of the Dpreview's interview with Panasonic:

With the full-frame Panasonic L-mount mirrorless cameras, the company claims to have achieved 10% market share
Panasonic S1 outsells the Panasonic S1R
Mainly videographers and cinematographers are buying the Panasonic S1H
"Our video features are one or two steps ahead of our competitors"
"We will keep developing cameras for both categories - full-frame and Micro Four Thirds"
"We have no plans to enter the APS-C market"
"The number of members of the L-mount alliance may increase in the future"
"We believe that our video features are one or two steps ahead of our competitors"
"To prove the quality of our cameras. In the future, we’re going to introduce mid-class, and different ranges of cameras"
The previously reported Panasonic 8K camera is delayed not coming any time soon

05-28-2020, 05:19 AM   #50

Maybe Pentax can join L mount by making nicely built, reasonably priced APSC mirrorless cameras and make a good K mount adaptor to allow the AF usage of using K mount lenses on it. As far as I know, there is no "new" L mount APSC camera, Panasonic isn't interested in this, Leica doesn't seem to make any new L mount APSC camera, and Sigma just made an FP and are concentrating on lenses and trying to get the R&D right for their full-frame Foveon camera....

And there are lots of people wanting Panasonic to make a smaller cheaper version of the S1/S1R, I think Pentax can also make smaller, cheaper full-frame mirrorless too if they join L mount. However, if Pentax joins L mount, I do think to make an APSC mirrorless L mount camera first makes more sense.

Last edited by ColiNiloK; 05-28-2020 at 05:24 AM.
06-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Maybe Pentax can join L mount by making nicely built, reasonably priced APSC mirrorless cameras and make a good K mount adaptor to allow the AF usage of using K mount lenses on it. As far as I know, there is no "new" L mount APSC camera, Panasonic isn't interested in this, Leica doesn't seem to make any new L mount APSC camera, and Sigma just made an FP and are concentrating on lenses and trying to get the R&D right for their full-frame Foveon camera.... .
I don't think that's going to be feasible, given that a lot of K-mount lenses are actually screwdrive. Also, Pentax seems committed to differentiating itself with the DSLR for stills. I think they might actually survive, albeit with some shrinking.
06-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I don't think that's going to be feasible, given that a lot of K-mount lenses are actually screwdrive. Also, Pentax seems committed to differentiating itself with the DSLR for stills. I think they might actually survive, albeit with some shrinking.
L mount looks to be a debacle. Best to steer clear of it.

06-05-2020, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I agree with you there. Well, at least I'd bet on it if I were a betting man (I'm not though). Maybe there's some hidden appeal of the L-mount but I think at the very most it will remain one of those fringe things like Leica itself!
06-06-2020, 03:43 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pentax will be fine. Ricoh seem to have a pretty good idea of the niche they want Pentax to occupy.
06-06-2020, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think any company that launched a new mount in the last year or so is going to be fighting a tough battle to make it profitable for a little while. Canon is probably fine because they are so big and Leica has enough super wealthy clients that they are fine too.

But companies like Sigma have to be sweating to figure out if they are going to get back their investment in new camera bodies and lenses for the new mount. Nikon is in dire straits too. Even if Ricoh decided they wanted to launch a new mirrorless mount or joint the L mount, now is certainly not the time to do it.
06-06-2020, 04:25 AM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I agree with you there. Well, at least I'd bet on it if I were a betting man (I'm not though). Maybe there's some hidden appeal of the L-mount but I think at the very most it will remain one of those fringe things like Leica itself!
I think you're right. Pentax K is already a full frame mount, that's what Panasonic and Sigma were lacking.

The Sigma body has failed to appear as promised (edit: no, there is the FP!) . And I don't think Panasonic will get their money back on their releases.

Last edited by clackers; 06-06-2020 at 06:20 AM.
06-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #57
Pentaxian

My friend who is in media(video) business(commercial for 17 yrs or so) just bought Sigma FP. He says it was a really good purchase. Ofcourse Panasonic has also big background in video. This is what these cameras are aimed to. More and more so. Don’t really see what pure photography brand like Pentax would do at there. Or add.
06-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
My friend who is in media(video) business(commercial for 17 yrs or so) just bought Sigma FP. He says it was a really good purchase. Ofcourse Panasonic has also big background in video. This is what these cameras are aimed to. More and more so. Don’t really see what pure photography brand like Pentax would do at there. Or add.
I just think with the way the economy is likely to be down for the rest of the year that many will cut back on extra expenses -- like new cameras. Of course there will still be sales, they just may be down quite a bit for the rest of the year.
06-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you're right. Pentax K is already a full frame mount, that's what Panasonic and Sigma were lacking.

The Sigma body has failed to appear as promised (edit: no, there is the FP!) . And I don't think Panasonic will get their money back on their releases.
How was Sigma lacking a full frame mount before joining L-mount?

The fp seems like a dream for some people (not including myself in that group as I don't care much about video) and definitely proves that full frame cameras can be made quite small if certain things are removed from the body. A version that's stills focused instead of video, with some kind of viewfinder... hot stuff.
06-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just think with the way the economy is likely to be down for the rest of the year that many will cut back on extra expenses -- like new cameras. Of course there will still be sales, they just may be down quite a bit for the rest of the year.
Main point for my friend was the price compared to others. Ofcourse this was before what is going on now. I bought blackmagic pocket 4K x2 to get camera which will is going to be in studio most of the time, and has wide Dof. This is why we took it as a subject. He thought that instead of second BMPCC perhaps I should get Sigma FP instead. And I bought them to actually do live stream and stream of my performances and workshops. What I can’t do now as I’v done in past. This kind a sales has happened actually a lot due this covid...I’m still waiting for my camera nro.2 due out of stock.

Regardless, things will slow down now. Due the fact that even if now we(Finland) have got it stranded, no one does know if this is just the first wave, or will there be the next one.

Still coming to this L-mount thing and even when we come down to 3.rd party (actually in this case Sigma is no longer third, it is in same table, it is the cheapest which will eventually pull the longest straw. People will do the math. Not so many need 6K or 8K and Professionals want best for their needs with less of the expence. To be able to bring their quality up there and still be profitable. Many small enterprises/artists have to take a good look at figures.

We will see where’s lot of things will land. Many will still want to go back where we left. But let us see what it will be.