Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,673
Fuji mirrorless cameras...why change systems

For the past few years I've been surprised at how Fuji mirrorless cameras have established themselves in the market place. Back in the day of film, Fuji were known for producing good point and shooters mostly and lenses for view cameras...also very good film. They had 'credentials' as it were in photography. But they weren't at the same level in product, as Canikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc...long time stalwarts in the SLR field...and with the unfortunate exception of Minolta...the others are still going strong.

Fuji was one of the forerunners of the mirrorless technology and they had a 'good look'...ie; the Leica Rangefinder look. Fuji isn't alone in using Leica design cues, even my little Canon G 12 has some of that Leica look about it, IMHO.

Anyways...over the last while two buddies who are avid amateur photographers (like me) have ditched or plan to ditch their equipment to go Fuji mirrorless. One was a Nikon full frame guy with the 24-70,70-200, 14-24 Nikkors, etc...the other who hasn't done it just yet....has Canon ASP-C top of the line equipment (L Lenses, etc.).

I don't understand why they and others would change from these two fine systems and go Fuji mirrorless ASP-C ?

What are the advantages over top of the line Nikon, Pentax, Canon DSLR's that would sway those owners to go Fuji ?

BTW, I'm not being critical of Fuji, think they make very good photographic equipment...but so do Canon, Nikon, Pentax.

10-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,935
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
over the last while two buddies who are avid amateur photographers
What did they say? Seems their reasoning might be good information here.
10-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 36
I switched from Pentax to Fuji, mostly because of autofocus performance and I also like the manual controls.

Iím really impressed with X-T2. Extremely good camera (although I like Pentax menus better). Iíve also ordered a k mount to x convertor and Iím looking forward to try Fujiís manual focus assist as my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be.

I have only tried Fujiís kit lense 18-55 2.8 4 but itís really good in terms of rendering.

---------- Post added 10-05-18 at 09:38 PM ----------

Also very high quality metal body and lense in Fuji which is a differentiating factor. The only problem I have so far with Fuji is that it is not Pentax.

Honestly Pentax camera are very user friendly. Itís just a shame the brand is not managed by very smart people

Last edited by Samwise.Gamgee; 10-05-2018 at 11:09 AM.
10-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,722
I am looking to get a Fuji camera to use with lenses with extinct mounts. I have a lens in exakta mount that can be adapted to Pentax, and one in icarex mount that can't be adapted. I wish Pentax made a mirorrless camera so I could use one system, but it seems like if I want to use those lenses (and I do! Carl Zeiss Ultron has the most beautiful bokeh I've seen), Fuji is the way to go.

As to why Fuji and not Sony, for example, I can't really give an wise answer. I came across a cheap Fuji XA-1 and that's how it started. I would like to get an XT-1 or XT-2 now...

10-05-2018, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
PŚl Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,013
QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote

Honestly Pentax camera are very user friendly. Itís just a shame the brand is not managed by very smart people

But they are used by very smart people...
10-05-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
CarlJF's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,183
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't understand why they and others would change from these two fine systems and go Fuji mirrorless ASP-C ?
Marketing ?
10-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,384
don't know and don't care. Life is too short to ry and figure out other people. I didn't switch to Nikon when a couple Canon shooting buddies did, The only issue is am I getting what I want to get. If I'm doing that, what everyone else is doing is hardly of importance. Next time I'm looking for a camera body though, I'll probably give them a look, along with everyone else. But my qualification will continue to be, best IQ for my money. Bells and whistles, not so much.


Last edited by normhead; 10-05-2018 at 01:06 PM.
10-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,159
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
For the past few years I've been surprised at how Fuji mirrorless cameras have established themselves in the market place. Back in the day of film, Fuji were known for producing good point and shooters mostly and lenses for view cameras...

Anyways...over the last while two buddies who are avid amateur photographers (like me) have ditched or plan to ditch their equipment to go Fuji mirrorless. One was a Nikon full frame guy with the 24-70,70-200, 14-24 Nikkors, etc...the other who hasn't done it just yet....has Canon ASP-C top of the line equipment (L Lenses, etc.).

I don't understand why they and others would change from these two fine systems and go Fuji mirrorless ASP-C ?
My guess is that part of their decision was to go mirrorless. I don't really want to start another DSLR vs mirrorless debate... but, needless to say, both offer strengths and weaknesses. It sounds as if your buddies decided mirrorless was the right choice for them at this stage, or at least they wanted to spend some time with that kind of system to see if it worked better or worse for their use cases.

Nikon guy probably didn't want to drop from full-frame down to Micro 4/3, so at the time he switched, that would have left him with either Sony (for full-frame or APS-C) or Fujifilm (for APS-C). Seems like he'd made his choice that APS-C would be adequate, and that he'd save some size and weight as a result. From that point on, it's going to come down to lens choice, camera controls, battery life, how the camera and lenses feel in your hands... A whole bunch of very personal and subjective elements. Sometimes, people just want to switch and pick a brand for nothing other than curiosity, however crazy that seems.

As for Canon guy, he might have gone through the same thought process... But since his Nikon friend has committed to Fujifilm already, maybe he feels more comfortable buying the same brand so he can benefit from his friend's advice and support, or maybe even share lenses...
10-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,286
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
don't know and don't care. Life is too short to try and figure out other people. I didn't switch to Nikon when a couple Canon shooting buddies did, The only issue is am I getting what I want to get. If I'm doing that, what everyone else is doing is hardly of importance. Next time I'm looking for a camera body though, I'll probably give them a look, along with everyone else. But my qualification will continue to be, best IQ for my money. Bells and whistles, not so much.
Tend to agree. Can't help wondering why so much time is wasted looking over the fence at other manufacturer's equipment and thinking 'what if ...' There is something alternative about Fuji's range, maybe it's because of this that *if* (and I will not be) I decided to look elsewhere, they would likely be where I'd first look. Maybe it's their alternative/niche that has slightly registered with me, a bit like choosing Pentax is being a little odd. But as I said, changing systems from Pentax is not really likely to be on the cards for me - too much invested & perfectly happy with what I have.

Typically, it's me or the conditions that prevent me from adding a decent shot to my 'portfolio' rather my Pentax gear. Ref Norm's bells and whistles, I'd guess I use perhaps 5-10% of my K1s function - albeit those few percentages get used extensively. So my Pentaxes already have 90% bells and whistles I never use, I can't imagine what else I'd ever need - maybe quality tethering would be my number one.

I've paid little attention to what the likes of Canon and Nikon have done over the recent years, so much so that when I occasionally run a workshop, I am surprised how very similar the functionality of client's cameras actually are. Mostly all gear, of comparable cost, is likely to perform much the same for *stills* as technology in this area has mostly maxed out - it's the fleshy bits holding onto it that ruins most potential masterpieces.
10-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,673
Original Poster
I think the reason the 'Nikon owner I mentioned made the shift to Fuji because the Nikon FF body and lenses are heavy and large...albeit real good. I think lugging around big, heavy camera equipment was the decision maker for him. He wants lighter weight, less bulk to carry around. He's my age, which means an older fellow and when you get to be a senior...lighter and less bulk...when it comes to carrying something..is generally better.

I'm still ok with my K1, plus extra battery and extra grip. but I can see the day coming when I will want something smaller and less weight. My first step will be to take off my grip/ extra battery which will subtract some significant weight/bulk from the K1...but I'm not there yet.

As another poster said maybe Fuji marketing. I think Fuji marketing although nowhere near as extensive as Canon...has been good...promoting the camera as a smaller, lighter, high quality bit of kit. I know a guy who has FF Canon (5D..) and he bought a Fuji X something back earlier. Some feel that Fuji looks a bit like a Leica..I'm one and that appeals to them...and to boot...the Fuji has auto focus and with the Leica rangefinder...you manually focus, the same way I do with my 1951 Leica RF. I think 'looks' and AF are important factors.


Why do I care about Fuji/ mirrorless inroads into the market ? I don't really care, as long as this flow of mirrorless doesn't affect Pentax DSLR/ equipment sales too much. I'm happy with my DSLR K series digitals and have no plans to dump it for anything 'new and improved'...as the laundry soap adverts used to say back in the '60's.

I wonder if many Fuji mirrorless have come back to the Pentax fold after buying, trying and maybe not liking their new camera equipment as much as they thought they would ?

---------- Post added 10-05-18 at 04:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Tend to agree. Can't help wondering why so much time is wasted looking over the fence at other manufacturer's equipment and thinking 'what if ...' There is something alternative about Fuji's range, maybe it's because of this that *if* (and I will not be) I decided to look elsewhere, they would likely be where I'd first look. Maybe it's their alternative/niche that has slightly registered with me, a bit like choosing Pentax is being a little odd. But as I said, changing systems from Pentax is not really likely to be on the cards for me - too much invested & perfectly happy with what I have.

Typically, it's me or the conditions that prevent me from adding a decent shot to my 'portfolio' rather my Pentax gear. Ref Norm's bells and whistles, I'd guess I use perhaps 5-10% of my K1s function - albeit those few percentages get used extensively. So my Pentaxes already have 90% bells and whistles I never use, I can't imagine what else I'd ever need - maybe quality tethering would be my number one.

I've paid little attention to what the likes of Canon and Nikon have done over the recent years, so much so that when I occasionally run a workshop, I am surprised how very similar the functionality of client's cameras actually are. Mostly all gear, of comparable cost, is likely to perform much the same for *stills* as technology in this area has mostly maxed out - it's the fleshy bits holding onto it that ruins most potential masterpieces.
I think there is the grass is always greener factor in play, with some enthusiasts. At a local camera club I used to go to there were some who would switch gear on a regular basis. They would have Canon equipment one year, then Nikon would come out with similar level new camera but with some improvements...than for them it would be trade in time, for the new Nikon...and of course vice versa. Those who would do this were in a different cash flow than I was. Although even if money was no issue, I doubt if I would join them in their yearly switcheroo. I like to thoroughly learn, take time, experiment with whatever photo equipment I have and that is not a fast process....for me anyways.

BTW, I stopped attending the camera club, too much meeting, not enough photography and also I got tired of explaining why I have Pentax cameras. Apparently... 'Because'.... wasn't enough of an answer for them, after awhile.

Last edited by lesmore49; 10-05-2018 at 02:31 PM.
10-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
the other who hasn't done it just yet....has Canon ASP-C top of the line equipment (L Lenses, etc.).
Fringer smart adapters for Contax, Sony and Fujifilm

Tell your friend to research this adapter before he sells any of his good glass.

---------- Post added 10-06-18 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't understand why they and others would change from these two fine systems and go Fuji mirrorless ASP-C ?
A change is as good as a holiday,do both if you can!

The X system has plenty to offer.

A range of bodies(7) of varying capabilities, with reasonably modern lenses that cater for all but super telephoto.

Excellent IQ,fast AF,high end video.

Most importantly Fuji relates to their consumers,they keep updating as development happens and lets the user know whats happening and when.

---------- Post added 10-06-18 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
I have only tried Fujiís kit lense 18-55 2.8 4 but itís really good in terms of rendering.
Its sold as a kit lens in the top end bodies,Its been referred to as the "best kit lens" but its more than a kit lens.

There are 2 bottom end kit lenses,a retractable 15/45 and normal 16/50 both with plasic mounts.These are very good but not rated as high as the 18/55.
10-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,286
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

BTW, I stopped attending the camera club, too much meeting, not enough photography and also I got tired of explaining why I have Pentax cameras. Apparently... 'Because'.... wasn't enough of an answer for them, after awhile.
I left my local club because there was too much competition. Competition in everything. Gear. Critiques (ha! ever heard of the rule-of-thirds ;-) ? ). Even competition to get to the biscuits at break time...
10-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,683
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think the reason the 'Nikon owner I mentioned made the shift to Fuji because the Nikon FF body and lenses are heavy and large...albeit real good. I think lugging around big, heavy camera equipment was the decision maker for him. He wants lighter weight, less bulk to carry around. He's my age, which means an older fellow and when you get to be a senior...lighter and less bulk...when it comes to carrying something..is generally better.
If he had waited a little longer, he could have switched to a "Z", Nikon's attempt to be lighter and smaller,
10-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,673
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If he had waited a little longer, he could have switched to a "Z", Nikon's attempt to be lighter and smaller,
Quite right and he would of been able to keep and use his Nikon lenses...with a Nikon converter.

He's in the know about new camera equipment that's coming down the pike and I think the intro of both Nikon and Canon mirrorless full framers took him by surprise. I was quite surprised, particularly the rapid release of both new systems from Canon and Nikon..within days of each other...although I really don't have any clue about what new is coming out, except through my channels of website forums.

He has had his Fuji mirrorless stuff for about the past 10-12 months and I'm not sure if the typical camera enthusiast knew that Canikon was going to introduce these new systems 10-12 months ago. But if I was him I would be...maybe a bit disappointed ...to have got rid of my Nikkor 14-24, 70-200, etc. lenses...I've never used them, but I know they are very well regarded, albeit I believe heavy.
10-06-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,159
In a way, I have some respect for your ex-Nikon friend. He wasn't happy with his gear, so he switched to something that he felt would be better suited to his needs. So long as he left Nikon with some dignity, and consideration for others - i.e. not trying to besmirch the brand and spoil it for those who are still happy with Nikon - then it's all good.

I'm sure he'll be (or can be) happy with his Fujifilm choice. He certainly should be... When all's said and done, all of the equipment from any of the brands is - at this stage of the game - outstanding, and Fujifilm's gear is as good as any of the others. Better at some things, worse at others - but, in any use case, capable of great photography in the right hands. Having made the switch and committed, he can put that aspect aside and enjoy his hobby again
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, asp-c, bit, camera, canon, change, club, equipment, fuji, gear, kit, leica, lens, lense, lenses, line, mirrorless, nikon, pentax, post, review, surf, video, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small, fast, or cheap lenses: How do Pentax and Fuji Systems Compare? braver Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 105 01-27-2016 01:44 PM
K-3 or switching systems (sony, fuji)? kever Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 01-23-2014 07:58 AM
Cameras cameras cameras Lurch Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 04-14-2013 02:54 AM
Two mirrorless systems from Pentax this year ogl Pentax News and Rumors 80 05-10-2011 02:08 AM
I may change systems Kevin B. Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 09-20-2010 04:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top