Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tower Reflex Twin Lens Reflex - Model 65?

Hello All,

I'm looking to identify this Tower Reflex TLR I acquired yesterday. Odd story - I'm selling a few spares from my collection on a local classifieds site; yesterday I get a text from a guy who had seen my ads and wanted to know if I'd be interested in this Tower TLR. It piqued my interest as I have the some of the Asahiflex Tower re-brands (Tower 22,23 & 24) in my collection.

Turns out he has had it for around 30 years - it was given to to him in lieu of owed rent by someone who lodged with him for a short while and was just put away in a drawer.

Condition for a nearly 60 year old camera looks pretty good. It appears to fire through the full range of shutter speeds and aperture and focus are smooth. Some small damage to the front leatherette near the shutter button and what looks like a missing piece under the main lens? Other than that it looks to be in great shape. Pretty low serial number as well.

From some basic research I'm thinking it might be a Tower 65, but I'd be happy to hear from those with more knowledge of such things. Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 10-11-2018 at 09:30 AM.
10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Hello All,

I'm looking to identify this Tower Reflex TLR I acquired yesterday. Odd story - I'm selling a few spares from my collection on a local classifieds site; yesterday I get a text from a guy who had seen my ads and wanted to know if I'd be interested in this Tower TLR. It piqued my interest as I have the some of the Asahiflex Tower re-brands (Tower 22,23 & 24) in my collection.

Turns out he has had it for around 30 years - it was given to to him in lieu of owed rent by someone who lodged with him for a short while and was just put away in a drawer.

Condition for a nearly 60 year old camera looks pretty good. It appears to fire through the full range of shutter speeds and aperture and focus are smooth. Some small damage to the front leatherette near the shutter button and what looks like a missing piece under the main lens? Other than that it looks to be in great shape. Pretty low serial number as well.

From some basic research I'm thinking it might be a Tower 65, but I'd be happy to hear from those with more knowledge of such things. Thanks!
You might find this site interesting

collectiblend.com/Cameras/Sears-Roebuck/Tower-Reflex-(Model-65).html
10-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
You might find this site interesting

collectiblend.com/Cameras/Sears-Roebuck/Tower-Reflex-(Model-65).html
Thanks!

I'd seen that one, mine looks broadly similar but there are a few differences. I still think it looks more like a 65 than a 64, but its certainly not my area of expertise.
10-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should try to contact this guy.
WWW.TLR-CAMERAS.COM

He lists the Tower Reflex 65 and shows it as being made by Walz. He also shows an old ad that he states as being the Tower Reflex 64 and 65, but the camera in the ad is the same as your camera but doesn't match his image and description of the Tower Reflex 65.
Interestingly, he lists the Tower Reflex 65 as being incorrectly attributed to Fuji, but the Fujitar lenses on your camera would point towards the camera being made by Fuji or Fujita.

The strap lugs on your camera don't match the Walz made cameras, or any of the more common Japanese made TLRs
The wind and focus knobs look like the ones from my Toyocaflex that was made by Tougodo. They also look very similar to the Fujita made cameras.
The shutter release on your camera is unlike nearly every Japanese made TLR, except the Tower Reflex 44 which was also made by Tougodo.

10-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Swift1

I saw that site and spotted the one in the ad appears to be the same as mine - but as you rightly say the shutter arrangement differs from any other Tower 64 / 65 examples I've seen - apart from the one in the link below, which leads me to think it is a rather rare item

TOWER REFLEX?FUJITA?OEM????
10-19-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Thanks Swift1

I saw that site and spotted the one in the ad appears to be the same as mine - but as you rightly say the shutter arrangement differs from any other Tower 64 / 65 examples I've seen - apart from the one in the link below, which leads me to think it is a rather rare item

TOWER REFLEX?FUJITA?OEM????
It is probably fairly rare, but not that valuable. There are so many of these off brand Japanese TLRs, and even the rare ones don't seem to hold much value.
My Toyocaflex is a late Ib model and is fairly uncommon, but I doubt I could sell it for more than $100.

They are usually good image makers though. The Fujitar lens is likely a 3 element triplet, quite possibly made by Tomioka, which would make it the same basic lens as what is on my Toyocaflex.

I made one of my favorite photos with it,

10-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great image - thanks for sharing.