Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Rangefinder, design, theory...

interesting to see what camera designers think that users will/will not want:

Pixii is a Digital Rangefinder with an M Mount, Global Shutter, and Phone Link

PIXII

10-21-2018, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, it's definitely in the "simple camera" category but I would not call it a “radical take on what a modern camera should be.”

In fact, the entire concept of "should be" does not apply to "modern camera" because the essence of modern consumer electronics is the existence of choice and variety. That is, "modern cameras" are defined not by adherence to a single set of features but by an ever greater range of shapes, sizes, and functionalities that are made possible by modern manufacturing techniques, ultra-compact electronics, and software.

The Pixii takes design choice into the range-finder body, non-AF, non-EVF/LCD direction. And it does have a "modern" dependence on smartphones, but only takes that design element part way. A truly "radical take" smartphone-dependent camera would be useless without a smartphone (see the Sony DSC-QX100 for an example of that).

The Pixii is not everyone, but it is for someone. And that simple fact is true for all cameras, especially the modern ones.

Last edited by photoptimist; 10-21-2018 at 07:26 AM.
10-21-2018, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I really like it as a concept. For the right price, this camera would be a great opportunity to use M and LTM lenses on a genuine rangefinder without forking out for a Leica body. Sort of like a digital Minolta CL. It would have to be significantly cheaper than a used M9 though, and if it has a cropped sensor then it will also have to be cheaper than a used M8. Otherwise I suspect people will want that red dot instead.

I wouldn't consider no rear LCD to be a problem, but the lack of interchangeable memory cards worries me. Sooner or later the memory will fail, and plugging in a new SD card is a much cheaper fix than getting an internal chip replaced. And I hope there's some way to transfer the raw files to a computer without using a phone, since I don't personally own a smartphone (why on earth would I want anyone to be able to contact me at any time, wherever I am?).

Great to see a camera maker thinking so differently though.
10-21-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone will buy it. But I find some of the argument puzzling: “But now the new generation is learning photography with a smartphone: who understands why a camera still needs to bother with a screen or an SD card?”

I thought a smartphone had a screen? At least, I can't imagine a smartphone being much use without one. The screen is probably the most used feature of a smartphone after the phone function (and the most used feature on a digital camera after the image recording function). The SD card is a no-brainer for the reasons outlined in @Dartmoor Dave.

Why not dispense with everything and just develop a flat-pack cardboard pinhole kit that takes sheet film?

10-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Someone will buy it. But I find some of the argument puzzling: “But now the new generation is learning photography with a smartphone: who understands why a camera still needs to bother with a screen or an SD card?”
It's worded awkwardly, but I think they mean the screen on the back of a digital camera and the SD storage are redundant when you can simplify the camera and just magically beam the photos to your phone for review and subsequently to the 'cloud' for essentially infinite storage.

Their main target audience is a subset of the smartphone crowd with good data plans, though I'd expect it still works without a phone (it does have a USB charger, I'd expect it can connect to a computer through it or via wifi).
10-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard smartphones are going away...

Chris
10-23-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I heard smartphones are going away...

Chris
The major problem with smartphones is that it is difficult to build a decent optical zoom that fits into the few mm depth of the form factor. The current trend of multiple cameras, each with a different focal length, is a wonderful kludge but a bit of an evolutionary dead end ...