Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$48K and it is used for

Adorama for some reason posted an ad for the Hasselblad H6D-400c Multi-Shot 100MP Ultra HD 4K Medium Format DSLR Camera. $48K, lens not included. My wife asked a question I could not answer. "And this camera is used for what?" My response of "taking snapshots" was not acknowledged. Anyone have a better idea?

10-23-2018, 10:48 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photographing art and other things for precise digital reproduction and archiving. And cat pictures.
10-23-2018, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Banned

Nudes and cat pictures. ...
10-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose one use case is massive prints. However, in this day and age there are still lower-cost options to do that. The upcoming Fuji 100mp MF camera will probably not be 48K.

10-23-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

It's for selfies for the most selfie-absorbed!

Last edited by photoptimist; 10-23-2018 at 12:14 PM.
10-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It is an investment for making money with.
10-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Honestly, it's one of those things where you buy a Hasselblad because clients expect you to have one. Not that it isn't an extremely powerful tool, of course.

10-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Anyone have a better idea?
I've have the same question about the HP Latex 3000 printer series:
Every year, the US alone spend $200 billion in advertising, this is enough money that even a very small part of that budget can go to purchasing and using medium format cameras to produce files to print 6 feet large and larger prints.
I'm afraid producing many thousands of large prints is rarely a concern of consumer camera users.
10-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's used for.....ah..., so you have the bragging right of owning the most expensive camera, and you can produce the most fantastic pictures that no one in your circle of friends can do.
10-23-2018, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meet the Godfather of Cat Photography | WIRED

QuoteQuote:
Working from home made the job a family affair, with his late wife Maria and his six kids helping out. “Without [Maria] I could not have made the vast majority of my pictures,” he says. She handled all of the administrative work, typing contracts, getting film developed, and generally keeping things running smoothly. She also proved to have quite a knack for keeping the cats calm while Chandoha snapped away on his Hasselblad.
10-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It has wifi. So you can immediately post those 100MP photos to Instagram. 'Nuff said....

Seriously, though... For all the poking fun (and I can't help stifle a grin myself), there will be a few professionals who can justify the need for 100Mp medium format images. Not many, I think, but there'll be some. And even if they don't actually need that resolution, the bragging rights and (perhaps misplaced) respect for that specification might be useful to some professionals.

Looking at it another way... Assuming we had the computing power and storage to deal with the files, I don't think any of us would turn down a free H6D-400c, and I trust we'd all be blown away by the image quality - especially when pixel-peeping
10-23-2018, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It has wifi. So you can immediately post those 100MP photos to Instagram. 'Nuff said....

Seriously, though... For all the poking fun (and I can't help stifle a grin myself), there will be a few professionals who can justify the need for 100Mp medium format images. Not many, I think, but there'll be some. And even if they don't actually need that resolution, the bragging rights and (perhaps misplaced) respect for that specification might be useful to some professionals.

Looking at it another way... Assuming we had the computing power and storage to deal with the files, I don't think any of us would turn down a free H6D-400c, and I trust we'd all be blown away by the image quality - especially when pixel-peeping
Actually, wouldn't one need to be given two free H6D-400c cameras? The first is for taking pictures and the second is for selling so one can afford the lenses and high-end workstation required to crunch the files.
10-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Actually, wouldn't one need to be given two free H6D-400c cameras? The first is for taking pictures and the second is for selling so one can afford the lenses and high-end workstation required to crunch the files.
Good point. I eagerly await my 2 x H6D-400c cameras in the post. Hasselblad (DJI), over to you...
10-23-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Bah! Does it have 4K?
10-23-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Bah! Does it have 4K?
Yes. It does For $48k, I think you get a strap too...