Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Yashica Revival" - complete and utter fail.

So this was what was inside the cute little Yashica kickstarter with the various "film cartridges" for all the various looks:

(Warning for extensive but entirely justified IMO use of the F word.)

And this is the Angry Photographer's take on where the guts of it came from:

Epic, epic fail. Even if someone with more money than God actually got behind Yashica and tried to resurrect it... who would trust the name after this?

What a sad post-script to a glorious brand history.

10-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
They scooped a lot of money in for this toy.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 10-24-2018 at 10:01 AM.
10-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I really liked the idea of this camera. And so did many others obviously. But I would not call this a scam like the angry photographer. You don't get quality for free. This thing cost around 140 bucks on kickstarter. You can't develop and build a camera with a cartridge/film system with quality materials, good optics and electronics and sell it for 140$. But that is probably what most backers were expecting. To meet the expectations of most people this thing would have to cost at least 500$. Yes it's a sad story but you get what you pay for.
10-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I would call it a scam - since the backers weren't told to pay for this.

10-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yashica kickstarter
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Epic, epic fail.
The Yashica Y35 is a Fisher Price toy for adults. Anyone who expects anything other than that should be ashamed of themselves. I'm ashamed of myself for wasting 25 minutes of my life watching the first video. I went to the Kickstarter website for this project, if anyone actually reads the promotional material for this camera and still expects something other than a Fisher Price toy for adults, they should be doubly ashamed of themselves. P. T. Barnum probably never actually said "there's a sucker born every minute," but if he had, the two clowns in the video are living proof that he was right.
10-24-2018, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel sorry for anyone who bought one but seriously, this thing was obviously junk based on a silly concept from the start.
Although the level of junkiness is actually higher than even this skeptic anticipated, which is impressive.
10-24-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The reason I put it up was because it amazed me as they tore it down just how garbagey the thing was. I had expected cheap rubbish, but just how rubbishy amazed me.

10-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a crowdfunded project, they're lucky to get anything - you're not buying a product, you're betting on an idea and hoping the organisers can achieve what they claim. My fist Kickstarter was the Intrepid 4x5" camera - a definite success, but it took much longer for them to start production than they expected. My second (which I've written off) is very very late, I'm still getting up-beat emails but not much seems to be happening.

A digital recreation of a classic rangefinder from a major manufacturer for $140...

Last edited by johnha; 10-26-2018 at 07:31 AM.
10-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think I'll stick with my electro 35 which is NOT a piece of junk
10-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The full price was $385 on indiegogo. Expect the Unexpected. digiFilm Camera by YASHICA | Indiegogo

I would be surprised if any brand new company delivered a real camera for even double or triple this price, if it's about the same price as from a big manufacturer with mature production lines.