Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2019, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
Olympus has some work to do. Initial reviews of the AF-C are not as impressive as I would hope for a camera of this size and cost. If Olympus is going to charge $3,000 for a M4/3 sensor, then it had better have some top of class features to offset the smaller sensor. It's not on 1Dx, D5, or A9 level and it really needs to be to compete.

01-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #167
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America's First Wilderness
Posts: 529
Olympus, publicly, anyway, doesn't seem too worried about full frame competition. Apparently the size advantage of the M4/3 is grand enough vs 35mm to give them what they feel is a significant edge in the interchangeable lens market. This doesn't seem unreasonable when you consider the size difference between the Pentax APS-C and 35mm lineup is fairly significant.

43rumors.com: Olympus had considered developing a medium format camera but decided against it !!!.
https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-had-considered-developing-a-medium-format-c...ed-against-it/

01-29-2019, 01:25 AM   #168
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America's First Wilderness
Posts: 529
Olympus roadmap reveals 8 new Micro Four Thirds lenses



https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/t8AxJbikUKmQ74pfpYLmb3-650-80.jpg

02-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #169
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,795
Olympus exec declares that Olympus is not interested in larger sensors, will be sticking with m43:

'Sensor size isn?t the answer' - Olympus exec explains the thinking behind E-M1X: Digital Photography Review

I doubt that everyone in Olympus' camera division is thrilled with this; but it's not up to them. Olympus' camera division no longer runs the company.

02-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #170
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Olympus exec declares that Olympus is not interested in larger sensors, will be sticking with m43:

'Sensor size isn?t the answer' - Olympus exec explains the thinking behind E-M1X: Digital Photography Review

I doubt that everyone in Olympus' camera division is thrilled with this; but it's not up to them. Olympus' camera division no longer runs the company.
They have a strategy and we will see how this works out.
02-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #171
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,663
^ I think so too. They've definitely placed all their bets on the m43 format. They're going all in. This new Olympus camera is very impressive. I'm sure that they're going to keep adding more AI AF algorithms in firmware updates to start identifying other things like animals & stuff kind of like what Sony & upcoming Panasonic FF will do. Even though this camera is very large for the m43 standard, it's still a small camera compared to the Canon 1DX & Nikon D5. Try handholding one of those cameras with an 800mm lens & see how tired you get. Yeah. IQ is not at the same level of the FF, but it's pretty darn good as it is already. I'd have no problem shooting any recent m43 camera up to ISO 12800 & even 25600 in a real pinch.

These are really exciting times. Everyone if making a bigger effort than previously before. You really can't go wrong with any camera manufacturer at the moment. I can't wait to see what else Ricoh releases & does this year.
02-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #172
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You really can't go wrong with any camera manufacturer at the moment.
Unless you make a bet on the wrong horse that goes out of business.

02-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #173
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
These are really exciting times. Everyone if making a bigger effort than previously before. You really can't go wrong with any camera manufacturer at the moment. I can't wait to see what else Ricoh releases & does this year.
The gear that has been released over the last 18 months is exceptional,$$$ony has a couple of bodies to come that will take the standard to a new level.Fuji will bring their top end body soon as well.RI?...I hope they can keep up.

The price of this Oly has scared a few off but 400K shutter testing,best stabilisation,best WR plus true handheld Hi Res is impressive.Throw in the other excellent features and some will gladly pay the price.

Last edited by surfar; 02-01-2019 at 10:04 AM.
02-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #174
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 620
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The gear that has been released over the last 18 months is exceptional,$$$ony has a couple of bodies to come that will take the standard to a new level.Fuji will bring their top end body soon as well.RI?...I hope they can keep up.

The price of this Oly has scared a few off but 400K shutter testing,best stabilisation,best WR plus true handheld Hi Res is impressive.Throw in the other excellent features and some will gladly pay the price.
Yeah I'm curious on how the digital ND filter will be.

02-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #175
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,795
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Yeah I'm curious on how the digital ND filter will be.
I believe that's just a high number of multiple exposures, automated for convenience. You can do same thing on the KP and K-1 series of cameras, except it's not automated. Very dark ND filters, such nine or more stops, tend to produce better output. Here's an example from the KP, involving somewhere between 30 and 50 shots:

02-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #176
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
400K shutter testing
Impressive, but I guess they needed that as rival flagships like Nikon D5, Canon 1Dx II, Sony A9 were already claiming 400k or more shutter actuation life, and the new Panasonic S1's claim 400k too. (With these mirrorless I suspect a lot depends on whether the actuation count includes electronic shutter actuations, not the whole mechanical process).

All academic, I suspect. K-1 has a 300k shutter, and that actuation count is probably far more than most users will ever see, even factoring in regular use of time lapse, multiple exposures, bracketing, pixel shift, electronic first curtain etc etc.
02-02-2019, 03:51 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,674
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I believe that's just a high number of multiple exposures, automated for convenience. You can do same thing on the KP and K-1 series of cameras, except it's not automated. Very dark ND filters, such nine or more stops, tend to produce better output. Here's an example from the KP, involving somewhere between 30 and 50 shots:
It is automated on the K-1 at least? I just choose interval composite mode and pick number of shots, triggering event and frequency of shots and then hit my remote button and it will take and average 40 or 50 shots. I typically use it with my DFA 15-30 which doesn't take screw in filters easily, but have used it other times when I just didn't have an ND filter along.
02-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #178
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,795
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is automated on the K-1 at least? I just choose interval composite mode and pick number of shots, triggering event and frequency of shots and then hit my remote button
Does it work without the remote? I've only tried this on the KP, which doesn't work with a remote. I could be mistaken, but I believe with the Olympus you can set it up fairly easliy so that all you have to do is press the shutter button once and it will rattle off a bunch of shots and make the multiple exposure. With the KP, I basically had to put it in continuous shooting mode and hold down the shutter button until it ran through the requisite number of shots. Of course, if I had remembered to bring my cable release, I could have locked the shutter button down on the cable release and it would've done its thing.

One advantage of the K-1 and KP is that you can combine as many as 2,000 shots in your multiple exposure. I'm not sure how many the E-M1X does, but the E-M5ii only does two, and many Canon and Nikon cameras only do about ten.
02-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,674
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Does it work without the remote? I've only tried this on the KP, which doesn't work with a remote. I could be mistaken, but I believe with the Olympus you can set it up fairly easliy so that all you have to do is press the shutter button once and it will rattle off a bunch of shots and make the multiple exposure. With the KP, I basically had to put it in continuous shooting mode and hold down the shutter button until it ran through the requisite number of shots. Of course, if I had remembered to bring my cable release, I could have locked the shutter button down on the cable release and it would've done its thing.

One advantage of the K-1 and KP is that you can combine as many as 2,000 shots in your multiple exposure. I'm not sure how many the E-M1X does, but the E-M5ii only does two, and many Canon and Nikon cameras only do about ten.
On the K-1 you can choose the shutter button, 2 second timer, normal timer, 3 second remote, normal remote as your trigger. Not sure about the KP.
02-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #180
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,303
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I think so too. They've definitely placed all their bets on the m43 format. They're going all in. This new Olympus camera is very impressive. I'm sure that they're going to keep adding more AI AF algorithms in firmware updates to start identifying other things like animals & stuff kind of like what Sony & upcoming Panasonic FF will do. Even though this camera is very large for the m43 standard, it's still a small camera compared to the Canon 1DX & Nikon D5. Try handholding one of those cameras with an 800mm lens & see how tired you get. Yeah. IQ is not at the same level of the FF, but it's pretty darn good as it is already. I'd have no problem shooting any recent m43 camera up to ISO 12800 & even 25600 in a real pinch.

These are really exciting times. Everyone if making a bigger effort than previously before. You really can't go wrong with any camera manufacturer at the moment. I can't wait to see what else Ricoh releases & does this year.
Exciting times or risky times for business?

Olympus is essentially hedging their bets on making m43 appealing enough to sell in the market long term.


Panasonic doing the m43 thing too but nice that they didn't lump all their eggs in the m43 basket and have introduced a FF system too just in case....


Nikon and Canon are onboard FF mirrorless with new product lines while keeping DSLR crop and FF systems in the near term..


Fuji is committed to APS-C and starting on mirrorless MF

What is Ricoh doing with Pentax? For the past 5 years it seems they haven't a clue what they want to do as they've been all over the map trying out stuff... They've tried Q, APS-C, FF, MF and different avenues or flavors of crop between the blinky lights K-S1 and retro KP oh and the stripped down K-500 (which I'm not even sure officially made it to North America).


I really like that they are trying to innovate. But it seems they haven't a clue where they want to place their bet. And they don't have enough time, money, and people to dedicate to Q, Crop, FF, and MF all together.

Someone in the company needs to put their foot down and say this/these is/are the system(s) we are supporting. Because wavering isn't really favorable for business. Do they still support Q? What happened to MF? Crop got a new lens, but where is the top tier K-7/5/3 -like body? K-1 is serious but are they serious about launching a full lineup of D-FAs for it?

It is like the company is in Analysis Paralysis of the market and isn't sure which way to go.. so they trickle out a product here and there while they wait to see what the market does next, but never committing.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, buyers, camera, color, dont, e5, ff, files, fuji, iso, k-1, k-5, kp, m4/3, m43, nr, olympus omd em1x, omd, opinion, people, performance, plenty, release, rival, sensor, stop, style, upgrade, video, war
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Olympus OMD EM1 mk 1 shutter sticking bessa-66 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 09-19-2017 04:24 PM
Olympus OMD EM1 weather sealing bessa-66 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 06-09-2017 08:22 AM
KP size compared to Olympus OMD EM5 II jgmankos Pentax KP 3 03-06-2017 06:29 PM
Olympus omd em ii, anybody have it? Thoughts amp Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 33 02-28-2017 03:24 PM
Comparative Pentax K1-Nikon D810-D750-D7200-Canon 5DmarkIV-Olympus OMD E-M1Mark II colodion Pentax Full Frame 31 02-21-2017 11:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top