Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Using high resolution on my em1 it produces a very very clean 80mpx raw file. It's pretty astonishing. It also doesn't take overly long to produce. I could time it I guess.

I'm not sure how well handheld would work. I'd assume it would only work on shorter focal length. I believe it can get all 8 shots off in 1/60th

12-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess. Pentax's handheld pixel shift isn't anything to write home about. In my experience it slows the camera down a bunch to use it (takes about a minute to process) and in the end doesn't really improve the image that much. Maybe Olympus's version will be better. My understanding from what Bruce Banner has done with experimenting with multiple images post processed in this fashion is that more than four images seldom adds much to the image quality.
I thought pixel shift and hires modes were different, where ps stacks all pixels to improve color and detail, and hi-res stacking them to increase resolution? I don't think I've read that hires mode improves dynamic range or noise, but might be mistaken. My EM1 didn't have that mode, so I didn't have an opportunity to play with it.

Ps is quite cumbersome to use, I just realized Capture one doesn't support it, so proper support comes only from raw therapee and silkypix..
12-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I thought pixel shift and hires modes were different, where ps stacks all pixels to improve color and detail, and hi-res stacking them to increase resolution? I don't think I've read that hires mode improves dynamic range or noise, but might be mistaken. My EM1 didn't have that mode, so I didn't have an opportunity to play with it.

Ps is quite cumbersome to use, I just realized Capture one doesn't support it, so proper support comes only from raw therapee and silkypix..
I think Olympus's version is designed to improve resolution, although clearly it should also improve dynamic range somewhat and decrease noise as well. Pentax's focus was more on improving color depth, although honestly, using tripod based "traditional" pixel shift, it does improve detail quite a bit as well. I have read several reviews of the Olympus high res that indicate that it is a bit clunky. I love Pentax's tripod based pixel shift, but I have found the handheld mode on the K-1 II to be a waste of time. I'm sure that tempers my estimation of the usefulness of Olympus's hand held high res mode.
12-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I think Olympus's version is designed to improve resolution, although clearly it should also improve dynamic range somewhat and decrease noise as well. Pentax's focus was more on improving color depth, although honestly, using tripod based "traditional" pixel shift, it does improve detail quite a bit as well. I have read several reviews of the Olympus high res that indicate that it is a bit clunky. I love Pentax's tripod based pixel shift, but I have found the handheld mode on the K-1 II to be a waste of time. I'm sure that tempers my estimation of the usefulness of Olympus's hand held high res mode.
well, it's a nice addition if you're using a lower res sensors (like the ones in mft systems). I do wish PS was a bit faster in K-1, it takes quite some time to stitch pics, especially if you're writing to both cards. But results are amazing. Although only accessible in few apps

12-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Reminds me of the Samsung WB2200F

12-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Olympus already have a great performing sensor in their 20 MP flagship - works just as good as the APS-C 20 MP D500 and K-3, even at low-light.

I wonder if they will introduce a new sensor - or just concentrate on video and introducing 'pro' enhancements to the body.
12-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Olympus already have a great performing sensor in their 20 MP flagship - works just as good as the APS-C 20 MP D500 and K-3, even at low-light.

I wonder if they will introduce a new sensor - or just concentrate on video and introducing 'pro' enhancements to the body.
The K3 is an older sensor and the D500 is optimized for speed. The D7500 or D7100 both still have an EV more dynamic range, although SNR seems to be about the same. It would be interesting to look at the KP there as it seems to do really well. Unfortunately DXO Mark hasn't reviewed the KP or K70 yet.

12-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Oh wow! That's pretty good for a smaller m43 sensor! Olympus is really pushing the limits of that 20MP sensor.
12-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Olympus and Panasonic are both doing an awesome job with 4/3 sensors. I'm guessing the OMD-EM1X (or whatever they call it) will have a stacked BSI sensor like the Sony A9. It looks like Sony has the next generation A9 sensor ready and we might see one announced in 2019. Sony and Olympus have a better than average relationship.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-are-these-the-first-leaked-image-of-the-new-e-m1x/
12-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #55
Pentaxian

The K3 is an older sensor and the D500 is optimized for speed. The D7500 or D7100 both still have an EV more dynamic range, although SNR seems to be about the same. It would be interesting to look at the KP there as it seems to do really well. Unfortunately DXO Mark hasn't reviewed the KP or K70 yet.
This is what photons tho photo's says:
12-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
This is what photons tho photo's says:
Yes, but as the graph indicates Ricoh is applying NR and processing to the RAW files at ISOs over 400, so we are not see actual sensor performance. Sony and Fuji are the only companies that are producing ASP-C cameras that exceed the current generation of M4/3 bodies like the G-9 and the OMD-EM1 MKII. M4/3 is more than capable of professional results with good glass.
12-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes, but as the graph indicates Ricoh is applying NR and processing to the RAW files at ISOs over 400, so we are not see actual sensor performance. Sony and Fuji are the only companies that are producing ASP-C cameras that exceed the current generation of M4/3 bodies like the G-9 and the OMD-EM1 MKII. M4/3 is more than capable of professional results with good glass.
The Nikon D7500 seems to be a stop better with regard to dynamic range.

My guess is that the KP is an older sensor with the acclerator added on. If you use the same tech that is in the OMD EMI MK II in an APS-C sensor you should get similar improvements as you scale up the size of the sensor.

But as you say, it is good enough for most folks at this point.
12-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Some of us don't really care about so-called "actual" sensor performance or measurements of "sensor" performance (what the heck are they measuring?), but are more interested in what we see with our own eyes; and when I compare (via visual perception) raw files of the E-M1ii with the KP over at dpreview.com, what I'm seeing is that KP has about a two stop advantage in dynamic range and about a stop and a half advantage in ISO over the E-M1ii. I've shot with both versions of the E-M5, and that's consistent with my experience with those cameras as well. I'm not denying that m43 is capable of professional results; but I do suspect measurements of 4/3rd sensor performance tend to over-rate the performance, in terms of actual output, of Olympus cameras.
12-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The Nikon D7500 seems to be a stop better with regard to dynamic range.

My guess is that the KP is an older sensor with the acclerator added on. If you use the same tech that is in the OMD EMI MK II in an APS-C sensor you should get similar improvements as you scale up the size of the sensor.

But as you say, it is good enough for most folks at this point.
The OMD sensor is probably 2 generations ahead of the KP sensor. Its a sensor designed specifically for mirrorless. I'm guessing the new OMD EM1X will have a stacked BSI sensor like the A9 since sports seems to be the market Olympus is shooting for.

---------- Post added 12-22-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Some of us don't really care about so-called "actual" sensor performance or measurements of "sensor" performance (what the heck are they measuring?), but are more interested in what we see with our own eyes; and when I compare (via visual perception) raw files of the E-M1ii with the KP over at dpreview.com, what I'm seeing is that KP has about a two stop advantage in dynamic range and about a stop and a half advantage in ISO over the E-M1ii. I've shot with both versions of the E-M5, and that's consistent with my experience with those cameras as well. I'm not denying that m43 is capable of professional results; but I do suspect measurements of 4/3rd sensor performance tend to over-rate the performance, in terms of actual output, of Olympus cameras.
I don't like the smoothing and noise reduction that I see in the K-1.2 or the KP. The NR that Pentax used in the K-5 RAW files was fine. NR in the K-5 RAW files was not applied until 1600 ISO I believe. The KP is getting low noise at the expense of detail and color accuracy. The OMD-EM1II also has issues with color breaking down over 800 ISO. At base ISO they are both more than capable of producing professional quality images.
12-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #60
Banned

I don't like the smoothing and noise reduction that I see in the K-1.2 or the KP. The NR that Pentax used in the K-5 RAW files was fine. NR in the K-5 RAW files was not applied until 1600 ISO I believe. The KP is getting low noise at the expense of detail and color accuracy. The OMD-EM1II also has issues with color breaking down over 800 ISO. At base ISO they are both more than capable of producing professional quality images.
Well you are not alone in this. The K-1ii got selected to be the 2nd worst camera of the year in dpreview. Only the Yasica won at being worse.......Well they collecte a cool million at kickstarter so I don't see them crying.