Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well you are not alone in this. The K-1ii got selected to be the 2nd worst camera of the year in dpreview. Only the Yasica won at being worse.......Well they collecte a cool million at kickstarter so I don't see them crying.

DPReview TV: Best and Worst of 2018 - YouTube
Yeah. Ricoh missed the mark with the K-1.2. I don't consider it an upgrade over the K-1, but I'm sure some people are quite happy with it.

12-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't like the smoothing and noise reduction that I see in the K-1.2 or the KP.
I've heard people complain about that, but I'm just not seeing it:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight...00896593400092
12-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well you are not alone in this. The K-1ii got selected to be the 2nd worst camera of the year in dpreview.
But what about this?

Imaging Resource Camera of the Year 2018: Best Overall & Professional Cameras

Shows DPR to be - again - hopelessly anti-Pentax.
12-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But what about this?

Imaging Resource Camera of the Year 2018: Best Overall & Professional Cameras

I like IR. They write some excellent reviews. Often better than DPR, but IR also has cameras on this list that aren't even shipping yet. The Fuji GFX-50R is still on Pre-Order and it made the list. The Nikon FF mirrorless units made the list, and they are way too new to be getting awards like this. I think the problem is that there weren't every many cameras to pick from. The Canon EOS-R is obviously a pretty poor attempt by Canon. The Nikon Z6/Z7 AF is 2 generations behind Sony or even the Nikon DSLRs. I agree with the DPR review on most points. The Canon 50mm F/1.2 is a stellar piece of glass, but the EOS-R is pretty weak. The Pentax K-1.2 isn't an upgrade over the K-1. I would not send my K-1 to Ricoh to have it upgraded even if it was a free service. Ricoh needs to take a big step forward in AF speed/tracking and they have to improve the buffer/write speeds. I'm fine with 5fps, but at 5fps the camera had better never fill the buffer, and focus accuracy needs to much, much better. I don't agree with IRs ranking of the Fuji GFX-50R either. I think this is still a slow camera with bad autofocus. IR should have had two camera's on this years list. The Fuji XT-3 and the Sony A7III.

12-23-2018, 02:54 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Fuji GFX-50R is still on Pre-Order and it made the list.
Its been in the hands of buyers since end of last month....but some places are sold out due to demand.

I don't agree with IRs ranking of the Fuji GFX-50R either. I think this is still a slow camera with bad autofocus.
Yes, thats the way its designed...ultimate image quality that is affordable for high end camera buyers.These buyers will have other cameras to shooot fast stuff.

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 08:57 PM ----------

Thats not what they said in the video,they were pro pentax but disappointed that the 2nd version wasnt a significant upgrade over the k-1.
12-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax K-1.2 isn't an upgrade over the K-1.
But it can't be on both a Best list and a Worst list, Winder.

It's a camera where its DxOMark will only be better than the Mark I, which was already the eighth highest score ever recorded by DxOMark, which includes two medium format cameras (one the 645Z).

It shows how superficial these guys are … they seem to have lost brain cells with their new employer.

One guy in the room says the Canon mirrorless 50mm f1.2 is the best lens of 2018, another walks by saying he would have called it the worst.
12-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Thats not what they said in the video,they were pro pentax but disappointed that the 2nd version wasnt a significant upgrade over the k-1.
Nuh, he said the Mark I was a brilliant camera, so the Mk II can't be the worst camera of the year. You get that Mk I plus a noise reduction processor and handheld pixel shift.

What else has got to be wrong with the Canon FF mirrorless for it to win that? It should be a shoe-in for all that money!

There's already a Thomas Heaton video I saw titled something like why he's now getting rid of his EOS R already … honestly, all those video bloggers are brain dead!

I saw your mate Ken Wheeler blubbing in one clip by the way. Have you seen it, I can find it for you. He'd had a miserable holiday weekend because his accommodation wasn't what he'd thought it would be, and he was suddenly semi-suicidal and telling all and sundry about it. I felt like passing a tissue to him through my monitor so he could blow his nose, poor lad!

12-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #68
Banned

Nuh, he said the Mark I was a brilliant camera, so the Mk II can't be the worst camera of the year. You get that Mk I plus a noise reduction processor and handheld pixel shift.
We are about to enter 2019 and K-1ii brings everything that Pentax had developed in 2016. So Ricoh-Imaging should bring something new next year.
12-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #69
Veteran Member

But it can't be on both a Best list and a Worst list, Winder.

It's a camera where its DxOMark will only be better than the Mark I, which was already the eighth highest score ever recorded by DxOMark, which includes two medium format cameras (one the 645Z).

It shows how superficial these guys are … they seem to have lost brain cells with their new employer.

One guy in the room says the Canon mirrorless 50mm f1.2 is the best lens of 2018, another walks by saying he would have called it the worst.
Of course it can. We are talking about subjective opinions. Its no different than if you say red is your favorite color and Surfar says that red is his least favorite color. Two different people making ordinal lists will have items in a different order or even completely different items. Both DPR and IR are being superficial. You just happen to agree with one more than the other.
12-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #70
Pentaxian

just to remind people, as said before at here by winder, those are opinions. and have you wondered how vloggers get their money. if there are people watching them. so get attitude, clear rounded opinion, which is not opinion and even be wrong. take your side.who are your customers(people who agrees your saying, also those who don’t will take a look because you say ...)

every one should know that K-1 mk2 is upgrade. there is big boost in ISO, AF algorytm has been changed, made it little less fast fps, but focus more precise. This is bigger thing that one might think, but it will most likely be better in next model. as they said them self(ricoh), they were surprised of how many did get their camera upgraded.

oh and wired, you still have your K-1? why? your A9 is so much better, isn’t it.

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 20:54 ----------

just why I also stepped in at here was that I’m little a bit interested of possible Oly E5 M2 upgrade. that is if I don’t get Blackmagick PCC4K instead. I did get Oly E5 for compact thing that can also shoot quite good video. now using it mainly as video cam.
12-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
oh and wired, you still have your K-1? why? your A9 is so much better, isn’t it.
Because I still have some architectural work and for that the K-1 is just about perfect. If the K-1 had the A9 AF and buffer, there would be no reason to own the A9. Well, once Ricoh finishes updating the lens line up and add a 35mm F/1.4, 85mm F/1.4, & 135mm F/1.8.... Ricoh still has some work to do with glass as well as AF. When the K-1 nails focus, the K-1 RAW files are phenomenal to work with, but for people moving around and shooting wide open with fast glass, the A9 is just about impossible to beat. The K-1 is also an excellent studio camera. I can work slow and I am usually stopped down to F/5.6 so AF can be a little off and the DoF is wide enough that it doesn't matter. For people like Chris Knight Dramatic Portraiture - RGG EDU who works with the 645z & K-1 you can create stunning art, but Knight spends more time setting up his lighting and post processing than actually shooting. He has a pretty slow process. For shooting events though, its just not practical.

I had an Olympus E-3 for several years and loved the glass and camera. I keep hoping Olympus will go full frame, but it doesn't appear to be happening. I might have to give the new Panasonic FF bodies a try. The G9 is an excellent camera.
12-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
just why I also stepped in at here was that I’m little a bit interested of possible Oly E5 M2 upgrade. that is if I don’t get Blackmagick PCC4K instead. I did get Oly E5 for compact thing that can also shoot quite good video. now using it mainly as video cam.
The EM5 is a major step up,mine has arrived last week.Blackmagic is excellent and great value but from what my research shows,a fair amount of work in post.Amazing results though.
12-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #73
Veteran Member

For the record, I don't think the K-1.2 should be on either list.
12-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Because I still have some architectural work and for that the K-1 is just about perfect. If the K-1 had the A9 AF and buffer, there would be no reason to own the A9. Well, once Ricoh finishes updating the lens line up and add a 35mm F/1.4, 85mm F/1.4, & 135mm F/1.8.... Ricoh still has some work to do with glass as well as AF. When the K-1 nails focus, the K-1 RAW files are phenomenal to work with, but for people moving around and shooting wide open with fast glass, the A9 is just about impossible to beat. The K-1 is also an excellent studio camera. I can work slow and I am usually stopped down to F/5.6 so AF can be a little off and the DoF is wide enough that it doesn't matter. For people like Chris Knight Dramatic Portraiture - RGG EDU who works with the 645z & K-1 you can create stunning art, but Knight spends more time setting up his lighting and post processing than actually shooting. He has a pretty slow process. For shooting events though, its just not practical.

I had an Olympus E-3 for several years and loved the glass and camera. I keep hoping Olympus will go full frame, but it doesn't appear to be happening. I might have to give the new Panasonic FF bodies a try. The G9 is an excellent camera.
My primary wirking with K-1 is controlled light/landscape/not so moving people. And I agree with you completelly. Shooting event with K-1 needs good nerves, and remembering to check often. Especially if one shoots between f 1,4-2,8. Other than that it is pretty darn good. But if I’d be shooting events for living, it would not be pentax. To be honest. Also Oly E5M2 is fast focusing, but it is not that consistent. EM1 m2 would be better.

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 22:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The EM5 is a major step up,mine has arrived last week.Blackmagic is excellent and great value but from what my research shows,a fair amount of work in post.Amazing results though.
I like oly EM5 mII video. Not that much better than K-1, is you shoot MF. Actually. And that is the main reason for me to look for update with great DR and better bitrate than either of these. And more. Sounds like good deal too. I have adapter for my pentax glass which makes DA lenses and DFA ’declicked’. Full manual lenses. Haven’t completelly made up my mind yet.
12-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #75
Veteran Member

There’ll be a storm when/if the E-M1X is released because its fancy price and features will so obviously ignore the broad middle of Oly customers who buy most of the products. In the same way, Pentax has courted unpopularity by overlooking its APS-C users for so long (no K3 replacement). Same difference. Whatever emerges from either brand will likely be technically excellent but at the end of the chain there are those fickle, infuriating, ungrateful XYZs called customers. Best to keep them happy, however you do.