Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2019, 11:50 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
OK, can we get the thread on subject?...directed at the MF commentators(ha ha)

OLY has stated this body is for the pro/high end enthusiast,a poll(that Ive seen)said 5% would buy it.I'm sure that Oly would be delighted to capture that amount of market(all m43 users) @ the margins this body probably has.

As far as expensive goes,its probably a fair price compared to the high end offerings from the competitors...In saying that,some will comment about the small sensor.I see the advantages in telephoto,not the disadvantages in light gathering.A motorhome serves a different purpose to a Ferrari.

Images of the new 150-400 f4.5 have just started to emerge,its WHITE!...Oly is making a fashion statement!...No,out in the sun white keeps the internals cooler than black.

Interesting is theres a 1.25 TC built in giving 500mm f5.6 so with the 2x crop...1000mm,it'll costalotta too.Not sure of the weight of the lens but that FOV with FF glass weighs a ton....the Oly can be handheld.
It is all in with Oly. I’m sure that for many this is amazing gear. Especially tele shooters. It will be interesting to see how it will pan out. Also 400-500 mm with m4/3 needs pro to be able to get most out of it.

02-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes,the 150-400 is designated PRO....so with the built in TC,its a 150 to 500mm f4.5-5.6.so 1000mm fog(ask Mack if that's equivalent?).
Also the weather sealed 2x TC will be compatible...f11ish at the long end.
Downside is that lens insnt coming till next year sometime.
02-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #198
Veteran Member

OK, can we get the thread on subject?...directed at the MF commentators(ha ha)

OLY has stated this body is for the pro/high end enthusiast,a poll(that Ive seen)said 5% would buy it.I'm sure that Oly would be delighted to capture that amount of market(all m43 users) @ the margins this body probably has.

As far as expensive goes,its probably a fair price compared to the high end offerings from the competitors...In saying that,some will comment about the small sensor.I see the advantages in telephoto,not the disadvantages in light gathering.A motorhome serves a different purpose to a Ferrari.

Images of the new 150-400 f4.5 have just started to emerge,its WHITE!...Oly is making a fashion statement!...No,out in the sun white keeps the internals cooler than black.

Interesting is theres a 1.25 TC built in giving 500mm f5.6 so with the 2x crop...1000mm,it'll costalotta too.Not sure of the weight of the lens but that FOV with FF glass weighs a ton....the Oly can be handheld.
I'm not one to want to see companies exit the market, so I hope you are right and Olympus is able to steal some professional market share. On the consumer/prosumer end, I still think the size of the M4/3 system is appealing to folks who aren't that interested in measuring noise and detail at the pixel level and probably aren't printing murals vs just having a compact ILC system that works for them. Seeing what the KP is capable of as a less than 35mm size sensor gives me some hope that Olympus can definitely carve a niche for itself without going to full frame or medium format... Worst case, should they want to, there is always the L alliance.

02-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #199
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have watched lots of reviews,one guy said he had printed 60inch wide with this 20mp sensor...I'll try and find it...he isn't one of the mainstream,but an Oly user,their assessment are better due to their familiarity.

02-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #200
Veteran Member

I have watched lots of reviews,one guy said he had printed 60inch wide with this 20mp sensor...I'll try and find it...he isn't one of the mainstream,but an Oly user,their assessment are better due to their familiarity.
Yeah, I don't buy for a moment that you can't possibly print large with Oly or a small sensor. just because you have a full frame high megapixel sensor or a medium format sensor every photograph that comes out of your camera isn't going to be a Peter Lik sized wall art. A lot of how big you can print has to do with the lens, the settings, and most importantly the technique you used in getting the shot. Shooting a K-1 from the hip or an Olympus carefully on a sturdy tripod with MLU, etc, the Oly photo has a better chance of being wall art. The idea that small sensors are automatically rubbish is foolish.

02-05-2019, 12:56 AM   #201
Banned

My max print is 59 inch coming from my 16mp K-01. I see no issue to do that. You need to clean up every speckl that is in your frame, because otherwise you will see every lensflaw in your print.
02-05-2019, 02:03 AM   #202
Pentaxian

150-400 f4.5
So it is a 300-800mm F9 lens equivalent.

This super slow lens is not far away from many bridge cameras costing only a fraction and being much more portable.

The sports and wildlife fraction wants 600mm F4 on forums, not even F5.6. Certainly not F8 or even worse like that discussed here.

This Oly lens which you can only use for static subjects in very bright light automatically makes any discussion about autofocus void. Once the subject moves, you'll be at ISO levels nobody wants to see.

02-05-2019, 02:05 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Original Poster

At the 4.30 mark,his remark is made.

12 minutes is full duration, plenty of good info.

---------- Post added 02-05-19 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
equivalent.
If you think so.
02-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #204
Pentaxian

At the 4.30 mark,his remark is made.12 minutes is full duration, plenty of good info.
I've realized everything online is mostly indirectly aimed at creating demand for products (" content marketing") and most of it aimed at consumers. There's also a lot of lies about cameras. So, I'll gradually pull out of all of this and keep using what I already own or sell it and buy something else that makes sense to me (without buying into all the marketing lies that we see online). 9 camera models out of 10 out there are designed with the goal to sell stuff to customers instead of being designed for photography. And even with the best camera out there the reviewers completely miss to present the most important capabilities of the model because these guys doing camera reviews are not even educated photographers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-05-2019 at 02:48 AM.
02-05-2019, 02:47 AM   #205
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'll gradually pull out of all of this and keep using
Whatever turns you on.
02-05-2019, 03:53 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

E M1x User Experinace - YouTube

At the 4.30 mark,his remark is made.

12 minutes is full duration, plenty of good info.

---------- Post added 02-05-19 at 08:08 PM ----------

If you think so.
You asked about equivalent lenses and beholder is correct that you need to convert both the focal length and the aperture if you want to do that. For certain it isn't a very fast lens, particularly when you factor in the teleconverter, but I'm sure it will work for some folks, depending on the cost.
02-05-2019, 04:15 AM   #207
Veteran Member

This super slow lens is not far away from many bridge cameras costing only a fraction and being much more portable.

The sports and wildlife fraction wants 600mm F4 on forums, not even F5.6. Certainly not F8 or even worse like that discussed here.

This Oly lens which you can only use for static subjects in very bright light automatically makes any discussion about autofocus void. Once the subject moves, you'll be at ISO levels nobody wants to see.
Very interesting points. The main one for me is that very good 1" sensors are small enough to allow bridge cameras with huge reach on their fixed lenses - and still deliver good enough quality for a lot of folks. After that, the quality jump although there doesn't become all that distinct till one moves to much larger formats.

However, I'd guess that lens from Oly will still sell quite well. Quite a lot of long-term Oly fans would buy it just as they bought all the uber-expensive 43 items originally, and quite a few folks would also buy it while trading down from the big formats because age or infirmity have made the big stuff too much to handle. That's not uncommon so far as I can see. Sales and IQ don't always align. Provided they can keep things at ISO 1600 or below (3200 in extremis) most m43 owners of a lens like that would probably be OK with it. Of course that's limiting but I'd guess it is simply part of the trade-off.
02-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Umm, f 4,5 is still as fast as f 4,5 on any other format. What is effective is dof of: f 9, instead of f 4,5. On FF. It is pretty narrow still with effective 300-900 mm. Advantage is that you won’t have to stop it much down to get more Dof.
02-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Umm, f 4,5 is still as fast as f 4,5 on any other format. What is effective is dof of: f 9, instead of f 4,5. On FF. It is pretty narrow still with effective 300-900 mm. Advantage is that you won’t have to stop it much down to get more Dof.
I wouldnt call a F1.8 phone lens a "fast lens" when compared to FF lenses. And we compare things here.

The equivalent very slow F9 of the Oly lens expresses both the effects on background sepation and the effect on noise and dynamic range due to the limited light gathering capabilities (4 times less).

If you can live with the noise generated on FF by a wildlife subject or sports action at F9 then the lens is acceptable to you. If the ISO ranges forced by F9 on FF are not what you can accept then the lens is bad for you.

So for a light vacation lens/camera combo for static subjects good. Sports/wildlife: bad.

It is that simple.
02-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #210
Veteran Member

I wouldnt call a F1.8 phone lens a "fast lens" when compared to FF lenses. And we compare things here.

The equivalent very slow F9 of the Oly lens expresses both the effects on background sepation and the effect on noise and dynamic range due to the limited light gathering capabilities (4 times less).

If you can live with the noise generated on FF by a wildlife subject or sports action at F9 then the lens is acceptable to you. If the ISO ranges forced by F9 on FF are not what you can accept then the lens is bad for you.

So for a light vacation lens/camera combo for static subjects good. Sports/wildlife: bad.

It is that simple.
I think it depends on how you argue it. If looking at it as though everything is full frame, then ok it is slow. If we keep it the format that it is, well that changes it.