Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 02:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

ADAPTERS Antique manual Pentax objectives to Sony E-mount

Hello, like ... SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm to SONY A7III ... given that I get this SONY and I have several PENTAX lenses because I would like to mount them on the SONY WITH AN ADAPTER .... but which: hmm ??? thanks and salu2 from Felipe

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-01-2018 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Edited title and moved thread to non-Pentax forum
11-01-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax K2 Quote
Hello, like ... SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm to SONY A7III ... given that I get this SONY and I have several PENTAX lenses because I would like to mount them on the SONY WITH AN ADAPTER .... but which: hmm ??? thanks and salu2 from Felipe
The best quality adapter is by Novoflex (it's not cheap, though!):

Adapterfinder Products - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Fotodiox makes a significantly cheaper version that is quite similar, but undoubtedly not of the same quality. That said, this is the one I use on my A7 MkII and it's perfectly decent:

Fotodiox PKAF-SnyE Lens Mount Adapter - Pentax K AF: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Whichever adapter you choose, make sure it has a ring for opening and closing the lens diaphragm
11-01-2018, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whichever adapter you choose, make sure it has a ring for opening and closing the lens diaphragm
With the M series lens that's just a nice to have feature right? Like Ann A/M switch on m42, not required, but helpful. It is however required with any lens without an aperture ring.

I use Fotasy's DA/PK adapter for m43 use of lenses with and without aperture rings on my m43 gear. The adapter is solidly built and so far reliable. I suspect their Sony e mount version would work equally well.

Here's a link to the Amazon page for that adapter:

Fotasy Pro Pentax DA K Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Adapter (with Aperture Control) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAAGG4O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9VU2BbT2GHTCP?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any experience with the ones that convert to autofocus? I remember a posting about that but can remember the adapter. they were quite expensive.

11-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This plus the techart autofocus adapter is another option: FOTOMIX PK-L/M Mount Adapter for Pentax PK K Mount Lens to Leica M L/M M9 M8 M7 M6 M5 Camera Works with TECHART Auto Focus LM-EA 7 amazon.com : FOTOMIX PK-L/M Mount Adapter for Pentax PK K Mount Lens to Leica M L/M M9 M8 M7 M6 M5 Camera Works with TECHART Auto Focus LM-EA 7 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-01-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This plus the techart autofocus adapter is another option: FOTOMIX PK-L/M Mount Adapter for Pentax PK K Mount Lens to Leica M L/M M9 M8 M7 M6 M5 Camera Works with TECHART Auto Focus LM-EA 7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTMVOGP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_c4U2BbGG4TC3S?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 11-01-18 at 08:36 AM ----------

This plus the techart autofocus adapter is another option: FOTOMIX PK-L/M Mount Adapter for Pentax PK K Mount Lens to Leica M L/M M9 M8 M7 M6 M5 Camera Works with TECHART Auto Focus LM-EA 7 amazon.com : FOTOMIX PK-L/M Mount Adapter for Pentax PK K Mount Lens to Leica M L/M M9 M8 M7 M6 M5 Camera Works with TECHART Auto Focus LM-EA 7 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
With the M series lens that's just a nice to have feature right? Like Ann A/M switch on m42, not required, but helpful. It is however required with any lens without an aperture ring.
Kind of, though I find the diaphragm open/close ring to be a little more beneficial than simply nice to have. It allows you to quickly open the diaphragm for accurate focusing, then close down to the selected aperture by just rotating that ring. It's just like using a preset manual lens, actually

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Any experience with the ones that convert to autofocus? I remember a posting about that but can remember the adapter. they were quite expensive.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have the Techart LM-EA7 adapter. It's nicely made, but known to develop some play (or "wobble") in the lens mount over time, as it's only attached to the AF mechanism at its base. If you use it regularly, and with heavier lenses, it's (apparently) likely that the wobble will appear eventually. Also, if you're using longer focal length lenses - anything considerably longer than 50mm (e.g. 85mm, 135mm etc.), the LM-EA7 doesn't have enough back and forth movement in its mechanism to allow focusing from minimimum focus distance to infinity. Instead, you'd have to preset an approximate focus distance on the lens first. Lastly, it's fussy about which adapters will lock into place, because of the latch design. Anything other than Techart's own adapters can be a crap-shoot, unless you're happy to modify the adapter locking notch (I haven't tried the Fotomix adapter, so can't comment on that).

Although I was looking forward to owning the LM-EA7, and I'm not unhappy with it, I find I'm just not using it. Manual focusing is so quick, easy and accurate with the A7-series EVF anyway...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-01-2018 at 04:10 PM.
11-01-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike - thanks that's very useful info you don't always get from the reviewers.

11-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
The best quality adapter is by Novoflex (it's not cheap, though!):

Adapterfinder Products - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Fotodiox makes a significantly cheaper version that is quite similar, but undoubtedly not of the same quality. That said, this is the one I use on my A7 MkII and it's perfectly decent:

Fotodiox PKAF-SnyE Lens Mount Adapter - Pentax K AF: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Hola,es este verdad.... Adapter Pentax K-Objektive an Sony E-Mount - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Translation (added by moderator):

Hello, it is this truth.... Adapter Pentax K-Objektive an Sony E-Mount - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-01-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Translation added - please always post in English (thank you!)
11-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax K2 Quote
Yes, that's it!
11-01-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, that's it!
+1 on the Novoflex. The build quality is substantial. I love mine. Several of my lens that couldn't be focused
to infinity, with cheap adapters, do so with the Novoflex. For me, the extra cost is worth it.
11-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #12

I’ve just started adapting older lenses to my A7iii. Starting with the smc-m 50/1.4 and super tak 50/1.4, and now taking on some legacy Zeiss glass too. I’ve not played with any AF adapted lenses, but even the Fotasy and Fotodiox branded adapters work fine for MF glass.
11-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kind of, though I find the diaphragm open/close ring to be a little more beneficial than simply nice to have. It allows you to quickly open the diaphragm for accurate focusing, then close down to the selected aperture by just rotating that ring. It's just like using a preset manual lens, actually

I have the Techart LM-EA7 adapter. It's nicely made, but known to develop some play (or "wobble") in the lens mount over time, as it's only attached to the AF mechanism at its base. If you use it regularly, and with heavier lenses, it's (apparently) likely that the wobble will appear eventually. Also, if you're using longer focal length lenses - anything considerably longer than 50mm (e.g. 85mm, 135mm etc.), the LM-EA7 doesn't have enough back and forth movement in its mechanism to allow focusing from minimimum focus distance to infinity. Instead, you'd have to preset an approximate focus distance on the lens first. Lastly, it's fussy about which adapters will lock into place, because of the latch design. Anything other than Techart's own adapters can be a crap-shoot, unless you're happy to modify the adapter locking notch (I haven't tried the Fotomix adapter, so can't comment on that).

Although I was looking forward to owning the LM-EA7, and I'm not unhappy with it, I find I'm just not using it. Manual focusing is so quick, easy and accurate with the A7-series EVF anyway...

Thanks Mike!!!