Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photographylife just listed the K-70 as second best entry level camera

PhotographyLife just published a nice and sensible list of entry level DSLRs, and the KP and K-70 are both mentioned. Basically, the KP got a low rating for its price, but the K-70 came in second place. One of the downsides noted for the latter was the fact that you'd be buying into a smaller company with a more limited native lens line up. I'm tempted to leave a message that all K-mount lenses could be used succesfully on that camera, but I guess that'll qualify me as a fanboy. Anyway, for your enjoyment.

11-14-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
One of the downsides noted for the latter was the fact that you'd be buying into a smaller company with a more limited native lens line up. I'm tempted to leave a message that all K-mount lenses could be used succesfully on that camera, but I guess that'll qualify me as a fanboy. Anyway, for your enjoyment.
Yep, way more native lenses than any brand other than Canon or Nikon!
11-14-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to mention, one of the most complete line-ups of aps-c lenses, and the unique Limiteds.

Although you can’t really argue 39 focus points compared to 11.

Last edited by twilhelm; 11-14-2018 at 06:11 PM.
11-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure about this survey. The models listed seem to be quite upmarket, hardly entry level.

That said, I wish that local Pentax retailers get the message that the K70 is an entry level camera. Here in Africa it is priced just a fraction below the KP. It is almost like they don't really want to sell you one. It is about 50% more than the Nikon D5600 that came out on top. And nearly double the price of the Canon Rebel T6i (aka EOS 750D) that came in third. I suppose it is all down to demand, which seems to be extremely low. Stocking Pentax looks like a bit of a gamble here.

Last edited by Wasp; 11-15-2018 at 07:00 AM.
11-15-2018, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No mention of in Camera Shake Reduction, and Pixel Shift. or the fact that there are more APS-c only lenses , where the lenses are lighter and smaller taking advantage of the smaller sensor.

The survey is weighted in favour of Canon and Nikon, because the authors aren't familiar enough with the Pentax eco-system to include some great features.

To finish in second with that kind of lack of appreciation is actually pretty good.
11-17-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It was nice to see Pentax take the number 2 spot on this list but it was also the smallest part of the review. Makes me think as usual Pentax does not get the kudos they deserve.

Link to original Photography Life article mentioning Pentax is below.
Best Entry-Level DSLRs of 2018, Ranked - Photography Life