Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is the likely source of this light leak?

Greetings.

I hope the community does not mind about posting about a Yashica FR II...

I did my test roll (I love the Yashica Lens ML 50/2 btw), and about half of the frames have a very similarly placed light leak - sometimes more pronounced than other times; only once from both top and bottom.

I wonder whether it is a light seal issue (I did not CLA'd it thoroughly), or whether it is something in the processing...

I shot Kodak ColorPlus 200 fresh. I do not have the negatives yet, but I can leave you with a few scan examples (first two with the pronounced leak / other two without - both shots under similar conditions):

Last edited by edom31; 08-20-2019 at 10:02 AM.
12-12-2018, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I hope the community does not mind about posting about a Yashica FR II...
No worries at all, but I will move it to a forum with a better fit.
12-13-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most likely cause is the felt light seal on the film canister. The next most likely is the felt light trap at the film door hinge.

Steve
12-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I will move it to a forum with a better fit.
Thanks for assisting lazy me!

---------- Post added 12-13-18 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The most likely cause is the felt light seal on the film canister. The next most likely is the felt light trap at the film door hinge.

Steve
Hmm... I did have issues loading that film (more of the camera due to the batteries I was using)...

Well, likely I will have to do new light seals on the trap doors and re-test... Nice little camera, and the ML 50/2 is surprisingly crisp.

12-13-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Hmm... I did have issues loading that film (more of the camera due to the batteries I was using)...

Well, likely I will have to do new light seals on the trap doors and re-test... Nice little camera, and the ML 50/2 is surprisingly crisp.
The only time I saw this sort of thing on my own film cameras I knew in advance that the film canister had been compromised. If this were my camera, the first thing I would do is to shoot another {short} roll of film. If the same thing happens again, I would plot which photos are affected. If a pattern emerges {for example photos 1, 4, 7, or something like that} then most likely it is the film cartridge or your handling of it.
12-25-2018, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Whenever you can, save and use black film canisters for your cartridges. And small thick black plastic bags once they're taken until you send them in for processing.