Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Fujifilm X-Pro 2- thoughts after a brief, first look

During the Christmas season I was in a camera store and checked out the Fujifilm X-Pro 2.

I like the looks...reminds me of a Leica rangefinder. I have a vintage Leica rangefinder that I've had for over 35 years now and it's a great little film camera so anything that reminds me a bit in styling cues of my old Leica is bound to have some appeal for me, but then my Canon G 12 also has a bit of the Leica look.

The X-Pro 2 is a compact body and that is a point...for me, being an older guy and thinking less to carry around, good for travel, etc.

The body feels well made...some kind of metal body I'm guessing.

It works quite nicely, fast AF, etc.

The lenses seem well made and I like the F stop/ focal length of some of them...particularly the 35mm F 1.4. Fast, moderate wide angle. It would seem to be a nice carry around, every day lens.

What I don't like:

Costly for a 24 something MP , ASP-C body. At the cost I would want to have a full frame sensor in the body. I have both ASP-C and Full frame sensor cameras, but I'm really getting quite used to (and liking it) the 35mm sized sensor. A full frame sensor in this Fuji body...or perhaps a bit bigger body to accommodate a FF sensor at this price would really appeal.

I'm sure there will be other things about this camera that I would both like and not like, but would require more use to determine the pluses and minuses.

But in general, not a bad little camera and I mean that in a positive way...it does remind me of a Leica Rangefinder at considerably less. BTW, I'm not saying that it is the equivalent of a Leica, but it does seem like a very nice camera at first look.

Anyway, there you go, one man's opinion, based on a very brief first look and handling of this, what appears to be an exceptionally nice camera.

12-28-2018, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Fujifilm X-Pro 2- thoughts after a brief, first look
I was also looking at a small size travel kit to have along with my Pentax K1 kit.

Fuji have a number of good points for them, but there are a few things that put me off.

Advantages:
- size
- vintage look
- selection of small primes

Disadvantages:
- price: the most expensive apsc of the market

- no sensor stabilization (except X-H1)
- lens stabilization only on some lenses, either big/expensive
- X-trans demosaicing can be an issue for landscapes (weird painterly trees and other things), some people have switched away from Fuji just because of that.

So, I'll wait for the Ricoh GRIII. And whenever I get a Fuji, it's going to be an older model, I've seen XT-1 and XT-2 together with X primes second hand at the price of Pentax new.
Other option would be to get a Pentax KP with a couple of limited primes and the 100 macro.
12-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I was also looking at a small size travel kit to have along with my Pentax K1 kit.

Fuji have a number of good points for them, but there are a few things that put me off.

Advantages:
- size
- vintage look
- selection of small primes

Disadvantages:
- price: the most expensive apsc of the market

- no sensor stabilization (except X-H1)
- lens stabilization only on some lenses, either big/expensive
- X-trans demosaicing can be an issue for landscapes (weird painterly trees and other things), some people have switched away from Fuji just because of that.

So, I'll wait for the Ricoh GRIII. And whenever I get a Fuji, it's going to be an older model, I've seen XT-1 and XT-2 together with X primes second hand at the price of Pentax new.
Other option would be to get a Pentax KP with a couple of limited primes and the 100 macro.
Yup, I find myself agreeing with you.

I've got a Pentax Km, think it was called the K2000 in the states. The size is quite compact and I also have the 21, 40 and 70 Limited(s), which are quite compact. My Km is an older camera, still works well, has the 10 something sensor , has limited ISO...but between 100-800 is really quite good.

I've thought about the Ricoh GR lll and before thought about the GR ll. The thing that holds me back about the ll was dust getting on the sensor, which others seemed to encounter with this camera. I'm hoping that Ricoh has solved this issue with the lll.

Other than that, I think the Ricoh GR series with the ultra compact body, ASP-C sensor and from the accounts I've read, quite a good wide angle lens is an exceptional carry around camera, more than capable of taking excellent photographs.

I've been thinking more about what the appeal of the Fuji X-Pro 2 camera is to me and I do believe it focuses, in my case, about it's Leica rangefinder
' look ' more than anything else.

But it is not a Leica ...ersatz...or otherwise...

I have a K1, K5 and K10D and the aforementioned Km and for a compact camera, my Canon G 12. So I really don't need any more cameras. I'm covered. I'm covered with cameras that are excellent quality and when I look at things objectively...the Fuji system really doesn't offer me anything that I don't already have in the end product, photo quality ability and I would say the Fuji X as an ASP-C sensor, doesn't compete with the K1, when it comes to the type of pix that I generally take...landscapes, vintage iron, family pix .

It is like the vintage car TV show of a number of years ago where the co-host would test a desirable car, extol it's virtues and conclude...do I need this car, no...do I want this car...yes. When I'm honest with myself, I would say the Fuji X Pro 2 is a neat little camera, that I don't need, given what I have and if Ricoh have cured the dust on sensor issue with the new GR lll...that maybe a better choice for someone like me...or maybe I should just start using my small Km more.
03-04-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
During the Christmas season I was in a camera store and checked out the Fujifilm X-Pro 2.

I like the looks...reminds me of a Leica rangefinder. I have a vintage Leica rangefinder that I've had for over 35 years now and it's a great little film camera so anything that reminds me a bit in styling cues of my old Leica is bound to have some appeal for me, but then my Canon G 12 also has a bit of the Leica look.

The X-Pro 2 is a compact body and that is a point...for me, being an older guy and thinking less to carry around, good for travel, etc.

The body feels well made...some kind of metal body I'm guessing.

It works quite nicely, fast AF, etc.

The lenses seem well made and I like the F stop/ focal length of some of them...particularly the 35mm F 1.4. Fast, moderate wide angle. It would seem to be a nice carry around, every day lens.

What I don't like:

Costly for a 24 something MP , ASP-C body. At the cost I would want to have a full frame sensor in the body. I have both ASP-C and Full frame sensor cameras, but I'm really getting quite used to (and liking it) the 35mm sized sensor. A full frame sensor in this Fuji body...or perhaps a bit bigger body to accommodate a FF sensor at this price would really appeal.

I'm sure there will be other things about this camera that I would both like and not like, but would require more use to determine the pluses and minuses.

But in general, not a bad little camera and I mean that in a positive way...it does remind me of a Leica Rangefinder at considerably less. BTW, I'm not saying that it is the equivalent of a Leica, but it does seem like a very nice camera at first look.

Anyway, there you go, one man's opinion, based on a very brief first look and handling of this, what appears to be an exceptionally nice camera.
you should be able to find a used Xpro2 for a pretty reasonable price (mine with a half case and wrist strap, 3 batteries, the original grip all like new with all boxes etc cost me 1200 Canadian. I rarely miss IBIS because all my lenses are f2 or faster and you can comfortably shoot up to 6400 IMO. it's built like a tank too all metal and WR, there just aren't many APSC bodies on the market to compare with it (the X-T2 of course and now the X-H1 and X-T3) ... even better value for a second small camera would be the X-E3 with say the 23/35/50 f2 lenses (I don't have that 35 but I have the rest) XE3 with the metal grip and 3 batteries and thumb grip set me back 800 Canadian. the lenses I have to say are among the best I have ever used across any brand. the 23 1.4, 35 1.4 , 56 1.2 and 90 2.0 are all right there with any best in class ....all pricey but i got a deal on an open box still warrantied 90 the other day for 800 canadian ... that said I agree it is an expensive ecosystem, I haven't really had the watercolour issue crop up on me tbh like some have. there are some who say Capture 1 helps.

03-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you should be able to find a used Xpro2 for a pretty reasonable price (mine with a half case and wrist strap, 3 batteries, the original grip all like new with all boxes etc cost me 1200 Canadian. I rarely miss IBIS because all my lenses are f2 or faster and you can comfortably shoot up to 6400 IMO. it's built like a tank too all metal and WR, there just aren't many APSC bodies on the market to compare with it (the X-T2 of course and now the X-H1 and X-T3) ... even better value for a second small camera would be the X-E3 with say the 23/35/50 f2 lenses (I don't have that 35 but I have the rest) XE3 with the metal grip and 3 batteries and thumb grip set me back 800 Canadian. the lenses I have to say are among the best I have ever used across any brand. the 23 1.4, 35 1.4 , 56 1.2 and 90 2.0 are all right there with any best in class ....all pricey but i got a deal on an open box still warrantied 90 the other day for 800 canadian ... that said I agree it is an expensive ecosystem, I haven't really had the watercolour issue crop up on me tbh like some have. there are some who say Capture 1 helps.
Thanks Eddie, for the actual owner's anecdotal report. I've always felt ask the guy who owns a product is the best way to get accurate info on how a product performs.

I'd say where I am now on the Fuji is that it's in the back of my mind...as a potential future consideration. I really like my Pentax gear and have had/ used the make since 1968.

But I've also had other makes of camera equipment . Kind of like my hand tools...I've got everything from old Craftsman, Stanley, Gray, Canadian Tire Professional and Mastercraft, even some old Eaton's Teco brand tools, Princess Auto Powerfist and Estwing.

As mentioned before, I like the small size, the sort of Leica look of the Fuji.
03-04-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks Eddie, for the actual owner's anecdotal report. I've always felt ask the guy who owns a product is the best way to get accurate info on how a product performs.

I'd say where I am now on the Fuji is that it's in the back of my mind...as a potential future consideration. I really like my Pentax gear and have had/ used the make since 1968.

But I've also had other makes of camera equipment . Kind of like my hand tools...I've got everything from old Craftsman, Stanley, Gray, Canadian Tire Professional and Mastercraft, even some old Eaton's Teco brand tools, Princess Auto Powerfist and Estwing.

As mentioned before, I like the small size, the sort of Leica look of the Fuji.
Like you I had used Pentax for a long time, my switch was facilitated by a break in, I considered staying with Pentax and if the K1 had been released odds are pretty good I would have gone there, My first Pentax was my Second SLR (I had a Zenit previously and moved up to a spotmatix and later an LX , tried Nikon for a while (F bodies) and Canon FD system, returned to Pentax with the MZ series and stayed there until I made this switch. before switching I tried out the Olympus system (Sony at the time i hated the ergonomics) and even considered Nikon, but after trying out the XT1 I was hooked on the old school ergonomics and once i got all the toys the original loss funded was sold. I still get tempted by FF but think I will save for the GFX series Fuji instead and go to medium format for a larger camera (in part because the functional layout is near identical ... one of the things I disliked on My old Nikon is it focussed in the opposite direction to my Pentax lol ...little things
If I had another breaking I would probably go through the same process but I have added to this system a lot and now have 13 lenses and 6 bodies and an X100T (and other accessories like flashed triggers etc) once you build an ecosystem it takes a lot to even consider a change)
Eaton TECO huh, I worked for Eatons for about 16 years, I was the last guy to walk out of the yorkdale store 2 weeks after we shut the doors completely . I have yet to work in a better place than Eatons despite having gone through CCAA and a bankruptcy there
03-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Like you I had used Pentax for a long time, my switch was facilitated by a break in, I considered staying with Pentax and if the K1 had been released odds are pretty good I would have gone there, My first Pentax was my Second SLR (I had a Zenit previously and moved up to a spotmatix and later an LX , tried Nikon for a while (F bodies) and Canon FD system, returned to Pentax with the MZ series and stayed there until I made this switch. before switching I tried out the Olympus system (Sony at the time i hated the ergonomics) and even considered Nikon, but after trying out the XT1 I was hooked on the old school ergonomics and once i got all the toys the original loss funded was sold. I still get tempted by FF but think I will save for the GFX series Fuji instead and go to medium format for a larger camera (in part because the functional layout is near identical ... one of the things I disliked on My old Nikon is it focussed in the opposite direction to my Pentax lol ...little things
If I had another breaking I would probably go through the same process but I have added to this system a lot and now have 13 lenses and 6 bodies and an X100T (and other accessories like flashed triggers etc) once you build an ecosystem it takes a lot to even consider a change)
Eaton TECO huh, I worked for Eatons for about 16 years, I was the last guy to walk out of the yorkdale store 2 weeks after we shut the doors completely . I have yet to work in a better place than Eatons despite having gone through CCAA and a bankruptcy there
Similar history for me. My first good camera was a Pentax S1a (still have, it still works) and in '74-75 I considered switching from Pentax to Nikon. I still remember looking and handling a NOS Nikon F Photomic, with 50mm Nikkor F 1.4 at a store in Edmonton. I came real close, but in the end decided to buy a new black bodied ES ll at the main downtown Eaton's store in Winnipeg, which I did. I thought the viewfinder of the ES ll was brighter, clearer than the Photomic F, also liked the Pentax automatic shutter, which was fairly new technology back then. Still have the ES ll, still works. BTW, my mom worked at Eaton's and I got the 10 % employees discount through her, remember that ?

I came real close to buying a Pentax LX in the mid '80's, but in the end, bought a Mamiya 220 Pro F, with the 80 normal and 65 wide angle lens. I wanted to go into medium format. Got that Mamiya TLR from Don's Photo in Winnipeg.

You're right about systems consideration when it comes to change. I have a fair amount of Pentax digital stuff, am happy with it...it would be a big change and quite a few bucks to change, which would be a lot to think about.

Must of been tough for you to be the last guy walking out of the Toronto Eaton's. Although I never worked at Eaton's, my mom did and so did other members of the family. When that grand old company closed it was a blow, more so than other companies. We used to buy everything from Eaton's...because they had quality and the best product guarantee in Canada, I felt. My first three vehicles were bought from Eaton's..a Jawa and two CZ motorcycles...sold under the name of Eaton's Road King. Don't know if you recall that line. Our house air conditioner, an Eaton's Viking (Keep rite) bought in 1988...still (touch wood) runs and keeps us cool during our hot prairie summers.

03-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

at one point or another you cpild buy everything there even diy house kits
good to hear rhe ac stood up i remember them sold a few myself when i was in the smaller store by 88 i was at the flagship and only selling audio and shoetly after went into management

03-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
at one point or another you cpild buy everything there even diy house kits
good to hear rhe ac stood up i remember them sold a few myself when i was in the smaller store by 88 i was at the flagship and only selling audio and shoetly after went into management
Before we bought our air conditioning unit, I talked to a buddy who had connections to the A/C industry. He talked to a a/c repair tech for recommendations, who advised we get a Keep Rite and said get the Eaton's Viking version as Eaton's has good sales. We took his advice and after over three decades of use, are happy we did.
03-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Before we bought our air conditioning unit, I talked to a buddy who had connections to the A/C industry. He talked to a a/c repair tech for recommendations, who advised we get a Keep Rite and said get the Eaton's Viking version as Eaton's has good sales. We took his advice and after over three decades of use, are happy we did.
sadly your next one will not last that long. all the changes made to improve energy efficiency has shortened life spans. a fridge now has a 10 year expected life for example

03-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
sadly your next one will not last that long. all the changes made to improve energy efficiency has shortened life spans. a fridge now has a 10 year expected life for example
Quite right. Our stove made in the early '70's...lasted till (and was still working) in 2011. It's replacement @ 8 year, has broken down 2-3 times, my wife says the next time, it's gonzo. Our Maytag washer lasted about 31 years, our new washer (a Sears ) is still working...but who knows, our Maytag washer still going , close too 36 years.
03-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

my Maytag washer I bought in 96 my GE gas dryer about the same time. my garland range will outlive me. my whirlpool gold fridge has already been acting up at 4 years old

Last edited by eddie1960; 03-05-2019 at 07:19 AM.