Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very deep detail review posted today in shuttberbug web by David Havlik
Very interesting

01-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Some of this new af tech should have been given to their current APS-C flagship the A6500. like they are doing for the A7III.
01-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
So what if it doesn't have Ibis? Almost all Sony E mount lenses have Optical Steady Shot.
All the cheap Sigma DC DN's (16/30/56mm) with fast aperture (f1.4's) does not have OSS. These lenses are making big waves for every Sony aps-c owners.
01-23-2019, 03:54 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So what if it doesn't have Ibis? Almost all Sony E mount lenses have Optical Steady Shot.
I'm not that familiar with Sony lenses, but checking on Amazon this doesn't seem to be true and most primes actually do not have stabilization. But as I say, I'm not that familiar with the lens catalog, I just went based on if OSS is listed as a lens feature.

01-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not that familiar with Sony lenses, but checking on Amazon this doesn't seem to be true and most primes actually do not have stabilization. But as I say, I'm not that familiar with the lens catalog, I just went based on if OSS is listed as a lens feature.
Four of the native aps-c lenses don't have OSS 16mm,19mm,35mm macro and zeiss 24mm 1.4. Like I said not enough of those lenses to justify raising the cost of this camera. It is meant as a middle/high end mirrorless aps-c .Sony likely has a camera about ready for those people soon. If this were named the A6600+ I would understand why the lack of ibis would be an issue but it is not.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 01-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.
01-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
All the cheap Sigma DC DN's (16/30/56mm) with fast aperture (f1.4's) does not have OSS. These lenses are making big waves for every Sony aps-c owners.
Yes the Sigma lenses are cheap and light and dont have Steady shot and the a6400 is cheap and light and doesn't have steady shot. If you throw steady shot in either of those you lose the cheap(25%more$ in the camera) and light(12%more weightin the camera) side of the equation. I personally don't have those Sigms lenses and have not seen many sony aps-c owners with them so they can't be making waves with every aps-c owner .

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 01-23-2019 at 07:21 AM.
01-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes the Sigma lenses are cheap and light and dont have Steady shot and the a6400 is cheap and light and doesn't have steady shot.
I recently took my K1000 out for a spin.

Made me think how we did it in those days, and think whether the few extra stops IBIS gives in shutter speed, is really necessary for still images. I can see it might help for video and such, but I'm not into that....

01-23-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I recently took my K1000 out for a spin.

Made me think how we did it in those days, and think whether the few extra stops IBIS gives in shutter speed, is really necessary for still images. I can see it might help for video and such, but I'm not into that....
To me, IBIS is primarily a tool designed to let you hand hold longer exposures than you could easily without it. There are a number of situations, where that could be the case. Shooting with really long lenses, shooting waterfalls where you want to blur the water, or even generally shooting landscapes hand held where you want to use lower iso and just can't hand hold it without some help.

Obviously it isn't necessary for many photos, but I still like being able to drop my camera into Tv mode and set the shutter to 1/8 second exposure and get a hand held waterfall photo. Without SR, you end up needing to use a tripod for most of those shots.

Last edited by Rondec; 01-23-2019 at 08:21 AM.