Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Culture's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vaasa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 787
Sony A6400

Was this APS-C body anticipated? I thought it was going to be called A7000 with an A9 body?
He did say though that this was a mid-range camera.




01-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Gem of the Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,304
Just think how that would sell if it has the name "Pentax" on it
01-16-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,479
They say the A6400 has the same AF algorithm than the A9, the words are true, but customers will lie to themselves if they conclude that the A6400 will focus as fast as the A9.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-16-2019 at 04:44 AM.
01-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,477
I wonder if Sony did anything about the over-heating problems that have been commonly reported with the A6300, and to a lesser extent with the A6500.

01-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,241
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Was this APS-C body anticipated? I thought it was going to be called A7000 with an A9 body?
There is a higher APS-C body coming.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They say the A6400 has the same AF algorithm than the A9, the words are true, but customers will lie to themselves if they conclude that the A6400 will focus as fast as the A9.
It has all the same AF features as the A9. but its not as fast, doesn't have the build quality, WS, EVF, buffer nor the battery. It does have some better video features, but they are adding a lot of features to the A9 firmware 5.0. Impressive: The Sony A9 features upgrades in detail - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors
01-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,281
The lack of IBIS kills it for me. Same with the X-T3. They're still very capable cameras, though.

The supposed A7000 unicorn will more than likely include IBIS & probably "better" AF, although the AF in this camera seems like it would already be mindlowing enough as it is.
01-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,131
Animal-eye AF looks interesting (once the FW update implements it). Anyone know if these Sony bodies (a6000/a6300/a6500/a6400) have focus bracketing and/or in-camera focus stacking?
01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,545
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Animal-eye AF looks interesting (once the FW update implements it). Anyone know if these Sony bodies (a6000/a6300/a6500/a6400) have focus bracketing and/or in-camera focus stacking?
I have the Play Memories Bracket pro app on my A7 and a6000 bracket photos by shutter speed, aperture, focus or flash.

01-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,131
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I have the Play Memories Bracket pro app on my A7 and a6000 bracket photos by shutter speed, aperture, focus or flash.
I'm somewhat confused, because I'm reading that Sony put an intervalometer in the a6400 because it killed its app store...?


For example:
QuoteQuote:
Lastly, remember that sony killed its app store a while back. They are trying to amend by adding an internal intervalometer for shooting time lapses. I guess that was the most downloaded app anyways.
(source)
01-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,545
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I'm somewhat confused, because I'm reading that Sony put an intervalometer in the a6400 because it killed its app store...?


For example:
(source)
Store works fine just put Bracket Pro on my A7ii 5mins ago. I hope they have it on the a6400
01-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,477
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
just put Bracket Pro on my A7ii 5mins ago
Seems to only do 3 shots/bracket. They could have done much better.
01-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,640
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The lack of IBIS kills it for me. Same with the X-T3. They're still very capable cameras, though.

The supposed A7000 unicorn will more than likely include IBIS & probably "better" AF, although the AF in this camera seems like it would already be mindlowing enough as it is.
Yes this is a replacement for the A6300 not the A6500. No IBIS is the big differentiator between the 6300 and the 6500. oh and maybe the grip..

Sony doesn't seem to have a ton of newer E mount crop lenses too.. but I guess enough adapters...
01-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,281
^ Prior to getting my K-50, I almost bought the Sony a6000, but in the end, the lack of IBIS kind of put me off & the K-50 was very similar to my old Sony a200 DSLR that I was replacing. I never really looked at the A6--- series until the A6500 came out. The downside was the lack of APS-C lenses. It doesn't make sense to spend a buttload of money on a nice FF lens only to waste it on an APS-C sensor. Might as well plop the money down & go straight for the A7III & if one has enough money left over, buy some A6--- camera as a 2nd body for the reach.

They're supposedly going to release a bunch of APS-C E-mount lenses. I'm still keeping an eye on Sony to see what they do. That a7000 camera could be exactly what I'm looking for, but who knows. I'm still waiting for that K-3II replacement & don't plan on buying anything until then.
01-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,241
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Prior to getting my K-50, I almost bought the Sony a6000, but in the end, the lack of IBIS kind of put me off & the K-50 was very similar to my old Sony a200 DSLR that I was replacing. I never really looked at the A6--- series until the A6500 came out. The downside was the lack of APS-C lenses. It doesn't make sense to spend a buttload of money on a nice FF lens only to waste it on an APS-C sensor. Might as well plop the money down & go straight for the A7III & if one has enough money left over, buy some A6--- camera as a 2nd body for the reach.

They're supposedly going to release a bunch of APS-C E-mount lenses. I'm still keeping an eye on Sony to see what they do. That a7000 camera could be exactly what I'm looking for, but who knows. I'm still waiting for that K-3II replacement & don't plan on buying anything until then.
I'm told my one of the Sony Artisans that Sony is aware of the success that Fuji is having with the high-quality APS-C system and Sony is planning on getting a piece of that. Sony has announced plans for 12 new lenses in 2019 and most of those will be APS-C. An A7000 (may not be the name) with IBIS and the bigger battery (possibly the A7 or A9 body) is under development. Busy year for Sony. A9 replacement is at least a year if not 2 years away. The new firmware puts the A9 way ahead of any DSLR for AF tracking and until Canon and Nikon put something on the market that can rival the A9, there is no reason push out a replacement.
01-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,281
^ I would have probably left the Pentax fold if that Fujifilm X-T3 would have come with IBIS. It would have the perfect camera for me. Excellent tracking abilities to capture some action along with the ability to do hand-held low light shots without a tripod. Even though the X-H1 has IBIS, I'm not interested in that model.

Sony is making some ridiculous advancements in AF technology. I do like the fact that you can concentrate on framing the subject instead of trying to get focus while framing the subject. Kids & toddlers can be a bit difficult to capture at times, but that eye-AF seems to make it a bit easier. i've used my dad's A7III & the AF techology on that thing is impressive. I can only imagine what the A9 can do.

But yeah! The future looks interesting. I look forward to seeing what everyone one does this year.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony a6000 or Sony a6300 or Sony a6500? LeDave Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 09-27-2018 03:45 AM
SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm f/2 AL versus Sony Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM on Sony A7R II JaroslawBrzezinski Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 09-05-2017 03:32 PM
My interpretation of The Pringles Macro Flash on Sony A6000 Filmed with Sony QX-10 Sliver-Surfer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 06-06-2017 08:23 PM
Sony FE 50 1.8 vs Sony 55 Sonnar 1.8 reivax Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 11 04-01-2017 07:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top