Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Underwater cameras?

Hi all,
Please, share you underwater camera experiences with me. I am planning on getting a new one and I am a bit lost. I think I will be spoiled coming from a dslr but any suggestions are appreciated.

01-26-2019, 04:55 AM   #2

I bought a WG-M2 in 2017.
This camera is not excellent regarding still images (e.g there is no RAW mode, noise is visible even at low ISO, there are very few parameters which can be modified), for HD video it is acceptable.
By the way, my camera died (due to sea water leak) after 1 year and 2 months, albeit I used it between 0m and -10m in the sea.

So I do not recommend this camera, neither for photo nor video.
01-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use a Sony RX100 in a cheap housing.Underwater photography is a pretty hit and miss affair unless you can afford a proper housing for an SLR.Here’s a link to my latest efforts

Indonesia Underwater 2018 | Flickr
01-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the early 1960s I built an underwater housing for a box camera out of 1/4 Plexiglas sheet, cut and glued into a form-fitting box, with o-ring glands sealing stainless rods to activate the shutter and wind film. Used it for a couple of years diving in lakes in Michigan, until I forgot I had it on a deep dive following a drop off in Torch lake, and it imploded at about 100 ft. I ran across some prints from it a year ago.
My diving buddy had a Calypso 35mm underwater camera, which was later taken over by Nikon and became the Nikonos.
Digital is much more practical - no need to seal the back for film changing, no winding film, etc.

01-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your messages guys
01-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I had the Olympus tg-5 and loved it for underwater. It’s not dslr quality but is a fun camera. The menus take a little getting used to.
I broke mine from user error, I forgot to check all the doors and got water in it, but I plan on buying another one before summer.

I have the wg-m2 but I don’t really like the fisheye. My daughter loves the action videos from it. The controls take a little getting used to also, but that’s because I don’t read the manuals before playing with the cameras.
01-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikonos cameras are great. I have owned both III and V models.
I don't dive but use one as my all-weather (bad weather) camera.
The 35/2.5 Nikonos lens is excellent both above and below water.

Chris

01-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I had the Olympus tg-5
I have the TG-4, and I think it does well up close and with macros but it wouldn't be my choice for landscapes. I haven't had a chance to use it under water yet. The previous (older model) Olympus Tough I had died after getting sand into the lens cover mechanism, but there's no such weakness with the newer models.

Oh, one great improvement with the TG-5 is that they use a standard micro USB rather than the stupid non-standard needed for the TG-4. These cameras support raw, but I think it's only 10 bit. It might still give some more leeway in post. And it (the TG-5) actually supports 4kp30 video if that is of interest.
01-27-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
TG-5 was one of my first choices. A bit expensive compared to others but seems to be a good option.
01-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

PanasonicTS-7/FT-7 has a viewfinder,28-128mm fov and plenty of other features.

Last edited by surfar; 01-28-2019 at 08:55 PM.
02-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Hi all,
Please, share you underwater camera experiences with me. I am planning on getting a new one and I am a bit lost. I think I will be spoiled coming from a dslr but any suggestions are appreciated.
Olympus Tough, TG-5 looks really good IQ wise for a small 12mp sensor.
I haven't tried it in the water yet though...
02-01-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you again!
03-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey,

I use a Olympus TG-870 ($150)... It is small and compact, 16MP, HD1080 video (if there's one place it struggles, its with noise, but its great up to 3200). The thing that differentiates it from everything is that it is the only underwater camera that has a flippy-selfie-vlogging screen. They stopped making them, and replaced/cannibalized it with the TG-5. The TG-5 seems like your best bet, and probably what I would go with today, as the quality in IQ and video seems substancial (especially when you don't use the flip-screen as much as you would think, which negates the positive). I'm not so sure that it is 3x as good however. It does everything I would ask of it! Never used the Pentax WG series cameras. Each time I see them, they just look like the same camera (for the past 5+ years), with a slight change in appearance every so often.
03-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Optio 90W, was dropped an submerged for a couple months on an ATV trail. It works fine accept it doesn't remember the date. I bought a Nikon AW130 to replace it. After a year, it also doesn't remember the date. I take the Optio 90W which I prefer in almost every way.

The biggest reason for a camera failing at a beach? A grain of sand broke the water seal. I've lost cameras like that before. It has nothing to do with the camera's manufacture and everything to do with sloppy maintenance by the user. You have to wipe down those seals before sealing any opening.

I'm seriously thinking of going with a WG, whatever is current, again. The camera reviews which didn't even rate Pentax said the Nikon was either first or second. I much prefer my Optio for IQ, handling, ergonomics and easy of transport. That Nikon is a throwaway. I keep it as aback up, just in case the 10 year old Optio stops working before I buy a new WG.

And based on my own experience, I don't give a lot of weight to the reviews or people who have only used one system.
03-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a Nikonos V and a TG-5. Here are some photos from TG-5

Pelican
by John Rudolph, on Flickr

by John Rudolph, on Flickr