Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Unusual cameras I've come across.

I've been an avid photographer for just over 50 years, the great majority of those years as an amateur. In my time I've occasionally come across other photographers using rare, well... relatively rare cameras. Cameras you don't hear too much about or see. Some are old, some are newer, some are expensive, etc.

I've seen two people use Rollieflex TLR's. One a pro newspaper photographer back in 1969 and another, an older lady about 5 years ago, taking pics of flowers in a public garden.

I've seen one guy with a Mamiya Press 23 camera, one with a Linhof, one with a Miranda SLR, one with a Bronica...all co-workers back in the late '60's, 1970 or so.

Aside from me (I have and use an early fifties Leica 11F), I've only come across two people carrying and using a Leica Rangefinder. One was a guy around 1971, with an M3, the other another fellow using an M8 around 2009 or so.

I've seen one Leica film SLR. I've only seen one Pentax ES ll and one Canon F-1 out and about being used and those , happen to be mine.

What about you...what unusual cameras have you seen, being used to take pictures ?

02-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I once found a Wild APK 1, 4x5 inch artillery camera. 12 were made for Swiss Army.
I own a Wild P32 for photogrammetric surveying - works with 120 film in 6x8 cm format Even today; was designed for glass plates.
02-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've seen two people use Rollieflex TLR's. One a pro newspaper photographer back in 1969 and another, an older lady about 5 years ago, taking pics of flowers in a public garden.
Rolleiflex TLRs were once relatively common (1950's?). My father had one, was really proud of it, although my mother, after his death, sold it for practically nothing to a door-to-door antiques buying shark I still have a couple of his books about it, one of them the classic "The Rollei Manual" by Alex Pearlman.
02-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My photo interest goes back more than 60 years, so I’ve seen quite a variety, including Exakta, Stereo Realist, several TLRs including Yashica, Mamiya Sekor, Rollei, and Tower (Sears house brand). Even Graflex 4x5 press cameras, and a number of Leica copies no one has heard of. And of course roll-film box cameras, and even Kodak folding 120 from the 1920s, still in use in the 1950s. Oh, can’t forget Hasselblad - or the elderly lady that came into our small-town camera shop in the 1960s asking for help loading film into hers!

In recent years I’ve reached back and collected most of them, and still shoot them myself.