Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony's New Real Time AF Tracking

Sony's 'Real-time tracking' is a big leap forward for autofocus: Digital Photography Review

4 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cunning. Here's the video that explains it rather nicely:

4 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The initial reviews seem positive and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it lives up to the hype. The A9 is already pretty amazing in terms of auto-focus.
4 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The initial reviews seem positive and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it lives up to the hype. The A9 is already pretty amazing in terms of auto-focus.
US$4,000 / NZ$6,000. Rather you than me.

4 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
US$4,000 / NZ$6,000. Rather you than me.
I bought both of mine for $3,400. Still pretty pricey but a lot less than $4,000 each. Being able to shoot silent shutter with a blackout free EVF is awesome for wedding and certain events. The AF is amazing. The Nikon D5 seems to be a fraction of second faster, but the A9 is more accurate.
4 Days Ago   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just *has* to be better than the videos I watched of their previous attempts, jumping from the subject to another with the same clothing (eg sport) or pointing into the grass when the subject slowed or changed direction - situations where you were much better off tracking yourself with panning, the traditional sports photographer's technique.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I bought both of mine for $3,400. Still pretty pricey but a lot less than $4,000 each.
Still two times the price of the Pentax K-1 mk II. Although AF seems to be the thing for Sony, I don't find it relevant for landscapes and people. For landscape, 10 seconds exposure, I don't see how faster AF or eye tracking would be any useful. For people photography, I've found that the best photographs are taken when prepared, fast AF isn't needed, neither eye tracking. I've found the Pentax K1 mk II does a good job of focusing on the eyes when using face detection AF. The best and professional model shots are done with strobes on models with make up, it's a rather slow process. Sony demos are impressive but are the photos that come out of it also impressive? To my taste, not so much. While I recognize the performance of the technology, I don't see it translating technology into beauty photographs, the photographer is still the key factor. I see a lot of absolutely amazing photographs taken with slow AF medium format cameras, and I don't see it more happening with the Sony cameras thanks to AF technology.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 4 Days Ago at 12:37 AM.
3 Days Ago   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must say, it looks impressive for people, sports, BIF etc. - assuming, of course, that the lens motors can keep up, especially where fast adjustments in focus distance are required. In this video, there's not a great deal of distance change, and none of it fast. I wonder how well it works with, say, a rugby player running towards the photographer? Regardless, for hard-core Sony users with deep pockets and the right use cases, I've no doubt these real-time AF tracking improvements can be put to good use.

More interesting to me is the further lead this gives Sony when compared to the big MILC newcomers - Nikon, Canon and Panasonic...

3 Days Ago   #9
Forum Member

a6400 doesn't need deep pockets though :P

It's interesting. Sony still has the A7000 & A7SIII incoming. And probably development on A7IV is underway.
3 Days Ago   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
a6400 doesn't need deep pockets though :P
Indeed... though, at GBP 949, it's not cheap for an APS-C camera with no in-body image stabilisation and one memory card slot. I guess it's down to the individual preferences and priorities of the photographer as to what matters more. It's no doubt an excellent camera...
3 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

That AF performance is quite impressive. I'm keeping an eye out for their upcoming APS-C flagship camera.
3 Days Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
That AF performance is quite impressive. I'm keeping an eye out for their upcoming APS-C flagship camera.
Sony has definitely noticed the success that Fuji has had in the pro-sumer APS-C market and they want a part of it. The Sony APS-C lens line-up is pretty pathetic though and they have a lot of work to do.
3 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

^ I'm also waiting to see what APS-C lenses they're supposedly releasing.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyway, unless Sony would change their approach for camera, I will never buy a camera from Sony. Even for mirrorless, Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Panasonic have better concepts than Sony.
Autofocus isn't everything in a camera.I wouldn't sacrifice everything for autofocus. Eye AF tracking is a feature what people did not have in the past and manage to take photograph in good focus anyway.
Unfortunately, camera models have more and more gadget features with the essentials being sometimes not even as good as on old cameras. I look forward to a no frills camera with a large sensor, simple controls and good glass, all the bunch of gadgets hide the fact that cameras essentials aren't as good as they could for the same price.
3 Days Ago   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I'm also waiting to see what APS-C lenses they're supposedly releasing.
12 lenses expected this year with only 4 of those being FF. The 55mm Sony/Zeiss F/1.8 is an excellent lens on an APS-C body, and they have a couple other already, but they really need to take it up a notch with APS-C. Sony needs to improve ergonomics and build quality. The technology they implement is impressive and the results are equally impressive.