Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Adapters - Pentax to Sony

I have Pentax cameras and lenses going back to the Spotmatic that I bought in the 1960's and share my equipment with my daughter - between us we have a fair amount of Pentax gear, both film and digital. I have not used my Pentax gear much over the last couple of years but have been using a Fuji X100T and really like, among other things, the compact aspects of a mirrorless camera. That said, I am somewhat concerned about Pentax surviving as a viable business and when a good deal popped up I got a Sony mirrorless FF camera to try out.

As far as I can tell, the Sony bodies are the most "adaptable" relative to the universe of lenses out there. My question is, what are the best brands - functionality and construction - of adapters that are available? Years back I had quality issues with non Pentax adapters and am not looking for the cheapest solution. Given that we have a fairly large collection of lenses - from screwmount to digital - I'd like to be able to at least try them out on the Sony.

02-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Novoflex makes some of the best-built adapters, but they are a bit overpriced:
Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT

After all, it's just a tube with an aperture ring I've used the adapter above and had no issues with it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Novoflex makes some of the best-built adapters, but they are a bit overpriced:
Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT

After all, it's just a tube with an aperture ring I've used the adapter above and had no issues with it.
I've got one too.

Roger Cicala showed one time that you need to buy an adapter that has excellent manufacturing tolerances, or effectively what you're doing is slightly decentreing your lens.

A cheap lens? Fine, I guess ....

02-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Sony A7 with my old Pentax K and M42 lenses, and it works very well. Indeed Novoflex is excellent, but there are many that are cheaper. Fotodiox has both K to NEX and M42 to NEX for under $20 ea. (Amazon). I've tried a number of cheap adapters for various lens types, and you can get good results with the cheap ones. I did notice that on a cheap K adapter the springs which hold the bayonet tight to the flange loosened with time, allowing the lens to tilt in the mount with little force. I have a Voigtlander K to NEX that is very well made, but obsolete and hard to find. Rayqual adapters are also better than many of the cheapest.
Some of the M42 adapters have an internal ledge that presses in the diaphragm actuator pin as the lens is screwed in, if you have any M42 that don't have the A/M switch like Takumars have. Some K adapters also have a mechanism to operate the diaphragm, but form many lenses these are not needed.

02-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I got a Sony mirrorless FF camera to try out.
If your camera has phase detect AF,checkout the TechArt Pro/Fotodiox AF adapters....they are very similar and the TAP firmware works on the Foto.