Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I used to have a K200D
Great camera, I have 2.When someone is exploring buying some gear I lend them one with 18/55 and 50/200 and a few old Sigmas.After they have "learnt" a little,I loan them a Oly Em5 with some basic lenses to see how they like the EVFs and basic video.

So the RP,is first generation which does OK.This new lens will become quite popular for reasonable light situations.It will do a few basic jobs,what will be interesting is to see the results from owners of R and RP.CANON has only just begun this new adventure,more nice stuff to come.

$$$onys response is soonish,details aren't available but next weeks coming.

07-09-2019, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Great camera, I have 2.When someone is exploring buying some gear I lend them one with 18/55 and 50/200 and a few old Sigmas.After they have "learnt" a little,I loan them a Oly Em5 with some basic lenses to see how they like the EVFs and basic video.

So the RP,is first generation which does OK.This new lens will become quite popular for reasonable light situations.It will do a few basic jobs,what will be interesting is to see the results from owners of R and RP.CANON has only just begun this new adventure,more nice stuff to come.

$$$onys response is soonish,details aren't available but next weeks coming.
Canon RP was just anounced as available for renting in my city. This weekend I've rented it along with Canon 28-70mm f2L. So, this weekend should be interesting because I finally get the chance to put side by side Canon RP and Canon R with adapted lenses and also with a top of the line RF lens. I will bring with me also the 5D Mark IV and see how fun is RP compared to the other 2.

To be honest, the lens is the one I'm really interested in despite the fact that I don't tend to go for heavy lenses, but I'm also interested in RP as a travel camera.
07-10-2019, 12:10 AM - 2 Likes   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
So, this weekend should be interesting because I finally get the chance to put side by side Canon RP and Canon R with adapted lenses and also with a top of the line RF lens. I will bring with me also the 5D Mark IV and see how fun is RP compared to the other 2.
I guess if we see a guy in Romania with 15 kg of gear around the belt, we know it's you. Don't forget to always switch on/off the Canon RP at each shot to avoid draining the battery, or carry a USB power pack to recharge the RP regularly.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-10-2019 at 02:37 AM.
07-10-2019, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #229
Pentaxian

this weekend should be interesting
Very much looking forward to your experiences,have fun.

07-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #230
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget to always switch on/off the Canon RP at each shot to avoid draining the battery, or carry a USB power pack to recharge the RP regularly.
Does the Canon RP not turn itself off after a certain period of inaction as my Pentax Q-7 does??
07-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does the Canon RP not turn itself off after a certain period of inaction as my Pentax Q-7 does??
I don't know for the RP, but when I tried the Sony A7III it didn't turn off, the sensor was always on, which surprised me. The default manufacturer setting on the Sony A7III is sensor streaming always on in order to avoid off/on lag when approaching the eye to the EVF. I asked if it was possible to save power, the answer was yes, but wasn't the default manufacturer settings.
07-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It does

07-15-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #233
Pentaxian

I guess if we see a guy in Romania with 15 kg of gear around the belt, we know it's you.
15kg no, but with around 7kg yes.

Don't forget to always switch on/off the Canon RP at each shot to avoid draining the battery, or carry a USB power pack to recharge the RP regularly.
The battery was the big surprise these last 2 days. In the first day I took around 1100 images with one battery (more than I usually shoot at 2 portrait sessions) and it still had life in it. Because of that I forgot to test if it works while is charging by USB charger. And given the fact that I have headaches from EVFs, I often changed shooting style from EVF to live view. With a spare battery you are pretty covered in almost all situations.

What I realised once again is that the lenses make the difference more than the body. That 28-70mm lens is quite an impressive lens. The only problem is that is heavy, big and unbalanced on RP and R. With a battery grip on EOS R it may be balanced. But without grip...

I started to sort some of the images and I will come back later with more impressions and images.
07-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #234
Pentaxian

The battery was the big surprise these last 2 days. In the first day I took around 1100 images with one battery (more than I usually shoot at 2 portrait sessions) and it still had life in it.
That let me question the CIPA rating of 250 on that EOS RP.
07-15-2019, 02:26 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CIPA doesn't shoot the way most people do. I believe that they turn on the camera, wait 30 seconds and take a photo and continue to take photos regularly at 30 second intervals, using full on camera flash (if available) every other image. Every 10 images they turn off and turn back on the camera. This sort of shooting could underestimate how many shots you can get from a battery.
07-15-2019, 03:50 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
CIPA doesn't shoot the way most people do
That's right. The Pentax K1 or K1 II are given about 700 CIPA shots. I saw a video of someone measuring battery capacity with genuine Pentax D-LI90 and Wasabi, interval shooting mode, he got more than 3000 shots out of the Pentax D-LI90 fully charged.
07-15-2019, 04:05 AM   #237
Pentaxian

Probably the fact that 28-70mm f2L lens doesn't have stabilisation helped also to get more shots. Even so, I think that anyone can get 700 images with RP and a single battery.
07-15-2019, 05:03 AM   #238
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
CIPA doesn't shoot the way most people do. I believe that they turn on the camera, wait 30 seconds and take a photo and continue to take photos regularly at 30 second intervals, using full on camera flash (if available) every other image. Every 10 images they turn off and turn back on the camera. This sort of shooting could underestimate how many shots you can get from a battery.
Exactly!

Photographers who average fewer seconds of camera on-time per photo (quick shooters, burst shooters, fast interval shooters) will get more shots.

But with a MILC, photographers who take more than 30 seconds to set-up, frame, and wait for the perfect shot will get fewer images per fresh battery because the camera is drawing lots of power running the sensor, CPU, and display full-time. Someone watching a herd of elk, waiting, waiting, waiting for the perfect bit of behavior might even get zero shots per battery with a MILC.

The CIPA methods imply that MILC users can take the CIPA number, divide by 2, and that's the approximate number of minutes of operating battery life. Thus, the 250 shot rating of the RP corresponds to about 125 minutes or about 2 hours of camera use. Thus, an RP user shooting an 8 hours event might need four batteries.
07-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

But with a MILC, photographers who take more than 30 seconds to set-up, frame, and wait for the perfect shot will get fewer images per fresh battery because the camera is drawing lots of power running the sensor, CPU, and display full-time. Someone watching a herd of elk, waiting, waiting, waiting for the perfect bit of behavior might even get zero shots per battery with a MILC.

Yeah, I think I read a discussion between some A9 owners where they were suggesting it was about two hours of activity that drained the battery, the number of shots kinda didn't matter.

Last edited by clackers; 07-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.
07-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Thus, the 250 shot rating of the RP corresponds to about 125 minutes or about 2 hours of camera use.
That's similar to what I measured on the K1: standby mode (Auto-power off set to off, OVF) 6 hours actual. Live view mode: 2 hours actual. The key to get more shoot out of mirrorless is to not spend too much time composing through the EVF.