Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's similar to what I measured on the K1: standby mode (Auto-power off set to off, OVF) 6 hours actual. Live view mode: 2 hours actual. The key to get more shoot out of mirrorless is to not spend too much time composing through the EVF.
... or composing with the back panel display!

In fact, the best policy is don't compose at all, just spray and pray!.

07-15-2019, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #242
Pentaxian

Ok, I got back at computer and I have some time until I back-up some files on my hard drives.

Regarding EOS RP:
- it's very light and small
- the grip is good but it needs that small extra grip in order to be comfortable in my hands when fast (heavy) lenses are attached; EOS R is feels better when comes to grip
- the battery is surprising good and I think that for my style of shooting 2 batteries are enough for a corporate event or for a portrait session (I don't know for wildlife if the battery will be as good; I tend to look through viewfinder a lot when I'm inside a hide and I'm using DSLR and optical viewfinders doesn't drain battery)
- the af was very accurate and this was also a nice surprise; it's not build for speed, but it doesn't miss at 70mm anf f2 with a model coming towards camera; it picked the eye even through sunglasses

What I didn't like:
- metering system is not as good/consistent as 5D Mark IV or EOS R
- the viewfinder is at the same level as Sony A7 III, maybe a little better, but is worse than the one from EOS R
- it has a lag when you switch from live view to EVF and you may miss an important shot

Below are a few images taken in hurry with smartphone with EOS RP, EOS R, 5D Mark IV with different lenses on them.

Canon EOS RP with RF 28-70mm f2L lens on the left and EOS R with EF 85mm f1.4L and adapter on the right.

Canon EOS R on the left with RF 35mm f1.8 and EOS RP with RF 28-70mm f2L lens on the right.

Canon 5D Mark IV with EF 35mm f2 on the left, Canon EOS R with RF 35mm f1.8 lens in the middle and EOS RP with RF 28-70mm f2 lens on the right.

After 2 days of shooting with EOS RP under different lighting and with a model that walked towards camera a lot in order for me to test the af I think that is a better camera than 6D Mark II in terms of performance. The handling and EVF are subjective depending on who you ask, but in terms of af accuracy and speed, it's better than 6D Mark II. The files are not as manageable as the ones from EOS R/5D Mark IV in terms of editing, but are good enough for a lot of situations (depending also on the lenses attached).

Here are 2 files at full resolution converted from RAW to JPEG with no other intervention on them.

Image no. 1 (here is the link to full resolution file; I hope that the program I used is not doing anything to the file Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Image no. 2 Imgur: The magic of the Internet

And below are 2 edited images at web resolution (again, I don't know how/if the program affects the quality of the files).

Overal, I like the EOS RP for what it is, a travel camera or just a small, light and good enough camera to have fun with it.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 07-15-2019 at 12:12 PM.
07-15-2019, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
In fact, the best policy is don't compose at all, just spray and pray!.
You can leave the camera on 4K video recording, eye AF, go to the pub, come back two hours later, see if there is something happened during your absence.

---------- Post added 15-07-19 at 22:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Canon EOS RP with RF 28-70mm f2L lens on the left and EOS R with EF 85mm f1.4L and adapter on the right.
For me it seems mirrorless cameras are getting smaller and smaller, and lenses are getting larger and larger. Some times I wonder if lenses are like Red Ferrari's in the UK, said to be some sort of ***** extension for who own them

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-15-2019 at 01:04 PM.
07-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For me it seems mirrorless cameras are getting smaller and smaller, and lenses are getting larger and larger.
Not only on mirrorless. Look also at the new lenses for Pentax. The new 50mm f1.4 lens weights 910g, with 40g lighter than Canon 50mm which is f1.2. But a price has to be paid for optical performance of Pentax 50mm f1.4, Canon 50mm f1.2L, etc.). For the ones that don't have the budget or for the ones not interested in best performance there are also cheaper options available. In the end we all pay for our hobby/profession, some more than others.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 07-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.
07-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Overal, I like the EOS RP for what it is, a travel camera or just a small, light and good enough camera to have fun with it.
Thanks for the report Dan, yes,your impression is good from your point of view.

So are you still considering buying one?

Interestingly, a well known wedding pro is selling off his 3x 5D mk 4s due to the fact he is now using 2x RPs.He isn't using the native lenses at all,just EF mount.
07-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Thanks for the report Dan, yes,your impression is good from your point of view.
You're welcome.

So are you still considering buying one?
I'm debating between R and RP... I like the EVF from EOS R and this is important for my eyes but I love the weight and size of EOS RP. I have to rent the RP another weekend in order to take a decision.

Interestingly, a well known wedding pro is selling off his 3x 5D mk 4s due to the fact he is now using 2x RPs.He isn't using the native lenses at all,just EF mount.
I don't think that I would trade my 5D Mark IV for EOS RP, but hey, he is a working pro and I assume he knows best what works for him. The 28-70mm f2L lens is superb and for a wedding photographer it can be the only lens he needs for weddings. Yes, it's heavy, but some of the Pro photographers are used shooting with 1Dx or with 5D Mark IV and battery grip, so the weight will become similar with EOS RP and 28-70mm f2L lens.
07-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #247
Pentaxian

I have to rent the RP another weekend in order to take a decision.
OK,I'll await your decision.

Good news for Canon Dslrs, a patents been filed for IBIS.Ive no idea when its going to come but it should filter to the R series as well.

07-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #248
Pentaxian

OK,I'll await your decision.

Good news for Canon Dslrs, a patents been filed for IBIS.Ive no idea when its going to come but it should filter to the R series as well.
It seems that the upcoming 1Dx Mark III will have IBIS. Some say that this will be the last DSLR full frame released by Canon. Knowing the persons who said this and where they work, I really hope it's not true.
07-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #249
Pentaxian

I really hope it's not true.
Well,I don't believe it is.

Canon have stated their shortterm R&D strategy is to develop the R series of lenses.With the 3 adapters EF/s and say a dozen R lenses by end of 2021.After that,they may divert to more mirrors?Time will tell.
07-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm debating between R and RP... I like the EVF from EOS R and this is important for my eyes but I love the weight and size of EOS RP. I have to rent the RP another weekend in order to take a decision.
You like the EVF on the EOS R? I thought it was horrible. I've not used the RP. How's the EVF on the RP?
07-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You like the EVF on the EOS R? I thought it was horrible
Remove that wool, its better!...I know its hard with those things BAA BAAing beside you.
07-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remove that wool, its better!...I know its hard with those things BAA BAAing beside you.
No wool. Not even steel wool.
07-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #253
Pentaxian

Shame about that mistake by umpire, I don't follow pyjama party games but the result needs to be fair...your blokes should have bowled underarm!...lol
07-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shame about that mistake by umpire, I don't follow pyjama party games but the result needs to be fair...your blokes should have bowled underarm!...lol
I was watching the Tour de France.
Let's not derail this thread further!
07-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You like the EVF on the EOS R? I thought it was horrible. I've not used the RP. How's the EVF on the RP?
I have some eyes trouble and also headaches from EVFs in general. But since I've got the chance to play with lots of mirrorless cameras and EVFs are starting to get better and better, things are a little better. I also switch shooting from time to time from EVF to live view so that my eyes can rest a little.

As I said above, the RP EVF is a tad better than the one from Sony A7 III but not as good as the one from EOS R which in my opinion is clearly better than EOS RP and A7 III.