Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But no amount of firmware will give it 4K video, which is a real disadvantage in todays market.
I don't think buyers at the $1,000 price point are expecting to get decent 4K video. The 4K from the EOS-R is pretty disappointing according to the reviews. It drops to a 1.8x crop so you are basically a m4/3 4K camera with no IBIS, bad rolling shutter, and soft images with a lot of artifacts.

4K is on the spec sheet, but anyone who knows anything about 4K and has a real need for 4K won't be buying this camera. But again, with Canon it all about marketing.

02-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #32
mee
Pentaxian

But 250 shots seems lower than it could have been. It goes a bit against the recent mirrorless trend of cameras doing about 400 shots or more.

For example, a direct EOS RP rival - like the Sony A7III - does 710 shots/battery.

And a budget 4K mirrorless rival like the Sony A6400 does 400 shots out of a 1040mAh battery directly comparabe to the EOS RP's 1080 mAh one.

I think Canon 'down-tuned' this camera a bit to fit it's product positioning strategy - 'low-end' EOS RP sits below 'high-end' EOS R. Not something unknown in other brands.
The rated battery life is very conservative.

Nikon Z6 was rated at 330 shots... and the same, negative thought about that camera was raised as well. But people are getting much more (up to thousands of shots) on a battery.
02-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The rated battery life is very conservative.

Nikon Z6 was rated at 330 shots... and the same, negative thought about that camera was raised as well. But people are getting much more (up to thousands of shots) on a battery.
Quite true!

MILC shots/battery life is much more sensitive to how you shoot than a DSLR. The CIPA test that gives the rated life assumes 30 seconds of looking through the EVF and then a single shot. People who quickly frame-and-fire or use bursts will get a lot more shots per charge. People who watch and track a subject through the view finder waiting for the decisive moment might get a lot fewer shots per charge.

The rated life of EOS RP of 250 shots is only about 2 hours of continuous on-time That means a heavy shooter (not the intended market) might go through several batteries in a single day. Casual shooters who probably take less than a couple dozen shots a day would have no problems with the limited battery life.
02-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #34
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Quite true!

MILC shots/battery life is much more sensitive to how you shoot than a DSLR. The CIPA test that gives the rated life assumes 30 seconds of looking through the EVF and then a single shot. People who quickly frame-and-fire or use bursts will get a lot more shots per charge. People who watch and track a subject through the view finder waiting for the decisive moment might get a lot fewer shots per charge.

The rated life of EOS RP of 250 shots is only about 2 hours of continuous on-time That means a heavy shooter (not the intended market) might go through several batteries in a single day. Casual shooters who probably take less than a couple dozen shots a day would have no problems with the limited battery life.
I suspect this camera in particular will probably not get thousands of shots on a single battery charge like the Z 6 has been reported to do. But I think it will be a bit more than CIPA rating. Using the LP-E17 found in the Rebel entry level DSLRs, so it isn't a massive battery.

I think they're trying to sweeten the deal to get people into their system, but it also makes me wonder if they are including the battery grip at no extra charge right now (at least through adorama and b&h) because they want to give a nice impression of battery performance? Or at least alleviate the fears of battery life.

The DR on this body is going to be the same as the 6DII so.. crummy.. in a word. But it does get someone into the the Canon ecosystem (the camera is coming bundled with the EF adapter too).

All these brands are jockeying for marketshare in the last big 'hurrah' of ILCs I think. Canon is attempting to pick up the low-end of the FF market (as they did with the Rebel (D) SLR line in the 80s and 90s) and I think appealing to those already shooting EF into the more lucrative R as a cheap entry (If you can get people to rebuy lenses in a new format why not).

This leads me to my main thought here -- I really am interested in seeing how Ricoh markets and sells Pentax in 10+ years from now. Our much appreciated DSLRs will be jalopies then.. like the fannypack or motorola brick phones.

Next generation of photographers either just starting now or about to be in the next decade will think our mechanical DSLR cameras are steampunk-like history pieces. They know how to use a touch screen and swipe.. and the 'funny' sound when taking a picture is just a funny sound... not the DSLR mirror and shutter physically actuating to record a shot/exposure. Can't keep marketing to old timers.. because old timers only get older. Have to address the elephant in the room -- appealing to youth. I don't think glowing lights and multiple color combinations is it....

02-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The next body will come probaby towards the end of the year,the available lenses will cover most speeds and FLs.$ony have competition in this sector.
02-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #36
mee
Pentaxian

I'm reading next Canon mirrorless will have IBIS (that will work with the in-lens IS), at least according to the Canon rumors guy.
02-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
they are including the battery grip at no extra charge right now
They probably should have, but in fact they aren't. No battery grip exists for the RP (yet).

What they are making available for free is a 'dumb' accessory called the 'EG-E1 Extension Grip' (three colours available).

QuoteQuote:
The optional Extension Grip EG-E1 provides additional support and comfort using the EOS RP so you can feel even more confident when shooting. There's an access panel so you can easily swap batteries and SD cards when needed, and because it comes in three colors - black, blue and red - you can choose the one that best matches your style or mood for a particular occasion, day or outfit.
EOS RP

Doesn't carry a battery or have any electrical contacts at all.
02-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

They probably should have, but in fact they aren't. No battery grip exists for the RP (yet).

What they are making available for free is a 'dumb' accessory called the 'EG-E1 Extension Grip' (three colours available).

EOS RP

$79 for a tiny grip to make the camera big enough to use comfortably? Ha.

02-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #39
Forum Member

This camera will further erode DSLR sales including Pentax that is DSLR only oriented at the moment. In the future it will be even more difficult for Pentax to make any impact at this price level. This is the starting price of Pentax KP which is the most advanced Pentax APS-C DSLR. If you were to embark into photography world tomorrow which one would you choose, Canon Full Frame mirrorless or Pentax APS-C? Everyone here is speaking about impact on Sony this will have, but how about Pentax? I simply don't see how they can issue another APS-C camera to stay relevant on today's market. They will probably issue 42mpx FF DSLR one day if Sony gives them their old sensor. If they give them. If not then what?
02-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
This camera will further erode DSLR sales including Pentax that is DSLR only oriented at the moment. In the future it will be even more difficult for Pentax to make any impact at this price level. This is the starting price of Pentax KP which is the most advanced Pentax APS-C DSLR. If you were to embark into photography world tomorrow which one would you choose, Canon Full Frame mirrorless or Pentax APS-C? Everyone here is speaking about impact on Sony this will have, but how about Pentax? I simply don't see how they can issue another APS-C camera to stay relevant on today's market. They will probably issue 42mpx FF DSLR one day if Sony gives them their old sensor. If they give them. If not then what?
Yes,its a tricky situation for all the companies.M43 has been selling bodies at these prices,competing with APSc but now FF is available with access to 100 million EF/s lenses.When Canon overcomes the bugs with the video,Lit will be difficult for all the other companies.
02-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #41
mee
Pentaxian

Nice catch. It is just a plate.

The battery life should still be beyond what CIPA rates though.. so no worries.
02-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,its a tricky situation for all the companies.M43 has been selling bodies at these prices,competing with APSc but now FF is available with access to 100 million EF/s lenses.When Canon overcomes the bugs with the video,Lit will be difficult for all the other companies.
Olympus is way overpriced in my opinion. The E-M1 Mark II costs 1699$ at B&H, it's heavier than EOS RP and it has a micro 4/3 sensor. And Olympus did a bad move in my opinion with the launch of the E-M1X, a brick of a camera with:
- the same sensor as E-M1 Mark II
- the same not so good EVF as E-M1 Mark II
- the size which is bigger than K1, D850, 5D Mark IV
- the weight of 1kg
- the price of 3000$+

And with the launch of Fuji X-T30, Oly doesn't look good at all.
02-15-2019, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Quite true!

I think the thing about mirrorless is that you have a certain amount of on time battery life. It probably is pretty similar whether you are leaning on the shutter button taking shots the whole time (in which case you can probably take a thousand shots in a couple hour's time) or if you look through the viewfinder a lot, but only take fifty or a hundred shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
I wouldn't be too worried. First of all, whatever the release price was for the KP, it is selling for 800 dollars, which is 500 dollars less than this camera. That's actually a large space. Secondly, there are still plenty of people who prefer top specified APS-C to entry level full frame. A K3 II sequel is bound to have faster frame rates and other options that this camera won't have.

As far the mirrorless versus SLR argument, they are going to come into some sort of balance and we may be getting there now. There are a certain percentage of people who just don't like EVFs, due to headaches, eyestrain, lag, or just personal preference,and as long as they have an option for an OVF they will choose it, regardless of the cost. In addition, the mirrorless market is maturing, whereas the SLR market is mature. People don't buy new SLRs at the same rate that they buy new mirrorless cameras, but we could be reaching the place where that changes as well. If that is the case, then some of the newer mirrorless options may not sell terribly well.

The nice thing from Pentax's standpoint is that with Canon and Nikon focusing on MILCs, they have cleared out a space for SLR development that Pentax should be able to maximize.
02-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the thing about mirrorless is that you have a certain amount of on time battery life. It probably is pretty similar whether you are leaning on the shutter button taking shots the whole time (in which case you can probably take a thousand shots in a couple hour's time) or if you look through the viewfinder a lot, but only take fifty or a hundred shots.

I wouldn't be too worried. First of all, whatever the release price was for the KP, it is selling for 800 dollars, which is 500 dollars less than this camera. That's actually a large space. Secondly, there are still plenty of people who prefer top specified APS-C to entry level full frame. A K3 II sequel is bound to have faster frame rates and other options that this camera won't have.

As far the mirrorless versus SLR argument, they are going to come into some sort of balance and we may be getting there now. There are a certain percentage of people who just don't like EVFs, due to headaches, eyestrain, lag, or just personal preference,and as long as they have an option for an OVF they will choose it, regardless of the cost. In addition, the mirrorless market is maturing, whereas the SLR market is mature. People don't buy new SLRs at the same rate that they buy new mirrorless cameras, but we could be reaching the place where that changes as well. If that is the case, then some of the newer mirrorless options may not sell terribly well.

The nice thing from Pentax's standpoint is that with Canon and Nikon focusing on MILCs, they have cleared out a space for SLR development that Pentax should be able to maximize.
I rather see the new Fuji X-T30 as a competition to KP instead of Canon RP.
02-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Olympus is way overpriced in my opinion. The E-M1 Mark II costs 1699$ at B&H, it's heavier than EOS RP and it has a micro 4/3 sensor. And Olympus did a bad move in my opinion with the launch of the E-M1X, a brick of a camera with:
- the same sensor as E-M1 Mark II
- the same not so good EVF as E-M1 Mark II
- the size which is bigger than K1, D850, 5D Mark IV
- the weight of 1kg
- the price of 3000$+

And with the launch of Fuji X-T30, Oly doesn't look good at all.
The Olympus OMD-EM1.2 has more dynamic range than the Canon 6DII and probably the new EOS-RP. It has much better AF and a professional level build quality. Olympus also has some pretty amazing IBIS (7 stops). The number of features Olympus puts in their cameras is simply amazing.

The EOS-RP has a 1.8x crop in 4K video mode with significant artifacts and softness. Having 4K on the spec sheet and actually having usable 4K are two different things.

The OMD-EM1.2 and the new OMD-EMX both outperform the entire Canon APS-C line-up and the Canon 6D in most ways.

The Sony A7II is under $1,000 with better AF, better image quality, IBIS, better video (no 4k though), and more native glass options than the EOS-RP. The Sony A7II is also a 4 year old camera. That is how far behind Canon is in technology.