Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
You pretty much experienced the same thing as me with EOS R. I do like the EVF from this camera but I love OVF from DSLRs. The AF-C will be improved with the upcoming firmware update if we are ready to belive what Canon said in a press release. But the af on stills seems super fast. And the new Canon mirrorless lenses are really interesting.

As for handling EOS RP, Canon offer an optional small "grip" that once it attached to the camera the grip will become similar to EOS R. Knowing the short positive experience that I had with EOS R, I'm intrigued about EOS RP as a small travel camera. I have to wait for the stores to start renting this camera and see how enjoyable is to use it.

---------- Post added 02-21-19 at 05:58 AM ----------

If you like Youtube videos (I know I don't), here is a video where these guys tested EOR R vs. Sony A7 III even in low light.

Canon EOS R Vs Sony A7III Camera Showdown W/ Potato Jet! - YouTube
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I'm not a fan work watching reviews. Especially how they turn to doing more on video review. One thing to note when they did the night video testing though, the Sony looked very waxy and flat in comparison to the Canon.

---------- Post added 02-21-19 at 12:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sure, and the latest Pentax DFA lenses aren't far off being completely silent. What's not silent with Pentax is the up and down of the mirror when I'm in LV mode and I want to change a camera setting (clack-clack, clack-clack, clack-clack all the time), I would expect to have a firmware change. Some of the stuff on the EOS R such as continuous AF could be added as select-able option in firmware for the K1. Ricoh, are you listening?

---------- Post added 21-02-19 at 07:12 ----------

I've tried the A7III in low light, my K1 with the DFA28-105 was faster to lock focus. The EOS R single focus isn't hype as much as the Sony, but the difference is the Canon deliver more than expected, and the Sony deliver less than claimed. From what I've seen with the EOS R single focus speed, it "blows the A7III out of the water".
That's good to know.

02-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
That's good to know.
What's worth noticing is the choice of tilt screen: Pentax K1 can tilt up-down and left-right, even at an angle but can't flip 180 degree for video. Nikon, Sony and Fuji tilt screen aren't as good (can only tilt up-down for Nikon, and aren't as robust as the Pentax). But the Canon tilt screen is the most convenient of all, because it can tilt in any direction and also 180 degree for video recording. Before the K1 was release I didn't want a tilt screen... 3 years later I now only use the rear LCD whenever the camera is on tripod, and being able to tilt in all directions is so convenient. Those are small non-high tech details that make a difference when using the camera. EOS RP has the same kind of tilt screen as the EOS R, that's a good practical thing.
02-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #123
Pentaxian

the video isnt too bad

They used the native lenses,looks OK.
02-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What's worth noticing is the choice of tilt screen: Pentax K1 can tilt up-down and left-right, even at an angle but can't flip 180 degree for video. Nikon, Sony and Fuji tilt screen aren't as good (can only tilt up-down for Nikon, and aren't as robust as the Pentax). But the Canon tilt screen is the most convenient of all, because it can tilt in any direction and also 180 degree for video recording. Before the K1 was release I didn't want a tilt screen... 3 years later I now only use the rear LCD whenever the camera is on tripod, and being able to tilt in all directions is so convenient. Those are small non-high tech details that make a difference when using the camera. EOS RP has the same kind of tilt screen as the EOS R, that's a good practical thing.
You mean self video? I could do lots of video with my Q-7 even though the screen doesn't move at all.

02-24-2019, 03:14 AM   #125
Pentaxian

There is the review: Canon EOS RP Review
02-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canon is making some really nice glass for the new system. I just hope they can put a body on the market that is worthy of the new glass. Panasonic looks to be releasing some really high end bodied and equally high end glass.

When Canon moved to the EF mount it was auto-focus that moved Canon ahead of the rest of the field. That was the technology that ultimately separated the field. When the industry began the move to digital it was Canon again that emerged as a leader in sensor technology. The Canon 5D was ground breaking camera with an amazing 12MP sensor. With the 5DII Canon was starting to fall behind Sony in terms of sensor technology, but they put professional grade HD video in a DSLR and had built an ecosystem with marketing and distribution that no other competitor could match. Now they move into mirrorless and they are no longer the technology leader in sensors, mirrorless AF, or even video. It looks like they will be the last company to implement core features like IBIS and pixel-shift. Canon entering the FF mirrorless market will put some serious and much needed pressure on Sony. Its going to be fun to watch and a win-win for photographers.
02-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #127
Pentaxian

The "pro" body should be available this year,indications are it will be competitive feature and price wise.
Dual card slots,Ibis are 2 features that have been hinted.I wonder if the video capability will compete?9]

02-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The "pro" body should be available this year,indications are it will be competitive feature and price wise.
Dual card slots,Ibis are 2 features that have been hinted.I wonder if the video capability will compete?9]
Competitive with which camera/manufacturer? Canon really needs a new sensor designed just of mirrorless. Will they strip out key features so that it doesn't compete with their professional DSLRs?

Rumor is that the Sony A7sIII will shoot 8k. I don't think Canon will put 8K in the next camera. The Canon 1DXIII is in testing now, so I don't expect the new EOS-Rx to be an A9 competitor. Maybe an A7RIII/Z7/SR1 competitor.
02-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Competitive with which camera/manufacturer? Canon really needs a new sensor designed just of mirrorless. Will they strip out key features so that it doesn't compete with their professional DSLRs?

Rumor is that the Sony A7sIII will shoot 8k. I don't think Canon will put 8K in the next camera. The Canon 1DXIII is in testing now, so I don't expect the new EOS-Rx to be an A9 competitor. Maybe an A7RIII/Z7/SR1 competitor.
With $$$ony/panaSigEica/Nikon...
If the rumours are correct,the high end Canon should have a sensor kinda like the high end Canon DSLRs...

---------- Post added 02-25-19 at 02:16 PM ----------

The A7s iii .may have 8K but its the video centric body...Canon have another line of cameras that do that....
The HighResolution Canon will have 4K...up round 50mp. But that may be cropped back to ???...for video.
By years end there will be another 6 R mount lenses,enough to make any of the bodies a viable purchase.Kit lens 24-240 coupled with the RP...SELLSaLOT!...
Expect a 3500-3800 U$ launch price on the RhiR model

Last edited by surfar; 02-24-2019 at 08:17 PM.
03-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #130
Pentaxian

The Z5 , Nikons entry level that competes with the RP.No specific details yet.Rumours are starting.

Last edited by surfar; 03-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.
05-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan | Digital Camera World

Just a month after release, the Canon EOS RP's sales have taken a nosedive in Japan – despite it being the country where compact mirrorless products, including Canon's M-series cameras, have proved the most successful.

Not very surprising. It's a poor attempt by Canon.
05-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan | Digital Camera World

Just a month after release, the Canon EOS RP's sales have taken a nosedive in Japan – despite it being the country where compact mirrorless products, including Canon's M-series cameras, have proved the most successful.

Not very surprising. It's a poor attempt by Canon.
Canon are taking a massive hit in their profits, but so is Sony this year - more than 70 percent. The new products haven't worked, it's a disaster all round.
05-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Canon are taking a massive hit in their profits, but so is Sony this year - more than 70 percent. The new products haven't worked, it's a disaster all round.
2018 - In the Imaging Business Segment Sony reported a +2% in sales and +12% in profit compared to 2017. Hardly a disaster.
05-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2018 - In the Imaging Business Segment Sony reported a +2% in sales and +12% in profit compared to 2017. Hardly a disaster.
Beholder3 reports:

"Sony now also reports -73% profits for the most recent quarter compared to last years'.

After ok previous quarters, the increased competition and holding back customers begins to show the manufacturers weaknesses.

In Q4/2017, Sony's imaging (IP&S) division showed operating income/profit of 6868 mill yen versus the 1844 mill yen in Q4/2018.
Sony Global - Earnings Announcement
From now on these figures will be hidden and not available any more since Sony did some mixing up of divisions and dedicated camera profits will not be visible any longer.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/386531-mirrorless-dslr-dinosaur-collapse-contd-sony-q4-camera-profits-dropped-73-a.html#ixzz5mjFgdahh"

Nightmare stuff.
05-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not very surprising. It's a poor attempt by Canon. [/COLOR][/COLOR]
I see the article says: "A much more critical factor is the lens ecosystem – and, with only four native RF lenses available, the RP faltered next to the A7 III's rich selection of optics."

They should have gone K-mount!