Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It will sell very well, but I think its target market is existing Canon users who already have a lot of EF glass they can adapt over.
Yes,as well as those Canon shooters who switched over and kept their EF glass.

I would guess that Sony has been expecting this
Yes,and publicly stated such...they expected CaNik to enter mirrorless FF(but Panasonic came along for the ride as well.)

The Sony A7II is still being sold new for under $1,000. I would not expect Sony to release a new body to counter the new Canon. Sony could put some work into a firmware update for the A7II and be fine.
The thing is,A7ii is "old" and perceived that way,polish a (hmmm).Its a hard sell to market an old design thats been bagged for battery life and single card slot.Ok, you may say this Canon only has one slot but its connectivity is(or should be,I havent read the manual yet) on a par with the R and M50.

---------- Post added 02-14-19 at 07:37 PM ----------

Canon is a marketing machine,
Yes, but it was them that changed the market(when you look back).The new mount is for"the next 30 years"

Here they are, entry level today...mid level last year...the high res model is coming.

02-14-2019, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

This new camera is unimpressive. Yeah, it's an entry level full frame camera, but it just seems like they went out of their way to cripple it. That being said, it will likely sell and stop some of the Canon to Sony bleed that's been happening for several years. I don't see it bringing new users to Canon, however.

02-14-2019, 01:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Sony could put some work into a firmware update for the A7II and be fine.
But no amount of firmware will give it 4K video, which is a real disadvantage in todays market.
02-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
it just seems like they went out of their way to cripple it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
it's an entry level full frame camera,
So, its their entry level first edition FF mirrorless...how can it be crippled?There hasnt been a model at this price point to precede it.The mid range R is 1000 more dollars,with slightly more resolution and a few different features.

02-14-2019, 02:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What is strange is that clearly 250 shots isn't great, which could be a particular nuisance for video shooters, but they haven't released a battery grip for the camera. They have released an 'extension grip EG-E1' to fit on the bottom of the camera, but it doesn't take any batteries. It's just there for 'handling' and looks.

Seems a competent camera. A light, affordable and compact full-frame - you can't argue with that. It will push Sony mirrorless prices down a lot.
It has USB charge. If it can be charged during shooting, then it will be nice. EOS R battery is rated at 300 shots and in practice it will go to 700-800 shots. For 1300$ it can be a very good option for travel. It weights 485g, has eye af, focus stacking, articulated LCD, decent 26mp full frame sensor...
02-14-2019, 02:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Cheap camera body does the hook, then they pull the money from the bank account with the lenses. All beginners get trapped into this, it works every time (Sony do the same with the A7 series).
02-14-2019, 04:01 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The whole point is the price (low) and to make sure it is low enough on features that serious photographers end up moving up.

At the same time, Sony cameras that are selling for similar prices are exceedingly long in the tooth, have average at best auto focus and no 4K video. I think this will do quite well in the current market and end up boosting upper end sales for Canon as well.

02-14-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aside from the under-whelming video specs, a few things about the EOS RP puzzle me:

Battery life: 250 shots
Connectivity: USB 2.0

250 shots is too low and a nuisance, plus USB 2 in this day and age is such a throw-back. Why would Canon bother to cut corners here?
At our older daughter's wedding last month, I took a total of roughly 100 photos between the rehearsal, the rehearsal dinner, the ceremony, and the reception - the most photos I have ever taken in a 24 hour period in the 50 years I've been photographing. My Pentax KP did fine with the battery everyone likes to complain about. Canon may know that they have plenty of customers with shooting habits like mine, but willing to spend more on cameras {$700 is the most I've ever spent on a camera kit}
02-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those with the "FFF", full frame fascination, it will be good thing.
02-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got an email from Midwest Photo. Price is indeed $1,299 for the body, $1.999 with the EF 24-105mm & adapter and $2,300 with the RF 24-105/4.
02-14-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For those with the "FFF", full frame fascination, it will be good thing.
It's not for birders. It's a camera model for the tourists.

---------- Post added 14-02-19 at 15:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Got an email from Midwest Photo. Price is indeed $1,299 for the body, $1.999 with the EF 24-105mm & adapter and $2,300 with the RF 24-105/4.
Great, I can sell my K1 and buy this kit for when I want less resolution.
02-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon may know that they have plenty of customers with shooting habits like mine
But 250 shots seems lower than it could have been. It goes a bit against the recent mirrorless trend of cameras doing about 400 shots or more.

For example, a direct EOS RP rival - like the Sony A7III - does 710 shots/battery.

And a budget 4K mirrorless rival like the Sony A6400 does 400 shots out of a 1040mAh battery directly comparabe to the EOS RP's 1080 mAh one.

I think Canon 'down-tuned' this camera a bit to fit it's product positioning strategy - 'low-end' EOS RP sits below 'high-end' EOS R. Not something unknown in other brands.
02-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's odd that they're still using the EOS label for these cameras with the R mount.

I'm not leaving k-mount land any time soon but I will admit that this is more appealing to me than the Sony's that run around the same price as I *assume* that the build quality is better and the ergo's are a bit better as well. The Sony stuff out there now just seems kind of overly complicated, clunky menus/user interfaces, and not all that hardened against damage or the elements.

Would be funny if someone came up with an uncrippled k-mount to R body lens adapter so manual glass could be used with full functionality on a body like this with focus peaking in the viewfinder. Still don't like how large by huge the lenses are for this mount so far.

p.s. 250 shots on a full battery is a joke. USB 2 on this thing is kind of laughable, the battery life is a bigger deal to me, ymmv.
02-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Aside from the under-whelming video specs, a few things about the EOS RP puzzle me:

Battery life: 250 shots
Connectivity: USB 2.0

250 shots is too low and a nuisance, plus USB 2 in this day and age is such a throw-back. Why would Canon bother to cut corners here?
It looks like the EOS RP uses the same small battery as the Rebel T6. That saves money and differentiates the low-end from the high-end.

Low-end camera are never meant to be killer cameras. They are meant to attract casual/beginning shooters to the brand with a low-cost option. Low-end cameras leave enough features out to ensure that pros and enthusiasts buy the high-end model.

But 250 shots seems lower than it could have been. It goes a bit against the recent mirrorless trend of cameras doing about 400 shots or more.

For example, a direct EOS RP rival - like the Sony A7III - does 710 shots/battery.

And a budget 4K mirrorless rival like the Sony A6400 does 400 shots out of a 1040mAh battery directly comparabe to the EOS RP's 1080 mAh one.

I think Canon 'down-tuned' this camera a bit to fit it's product positioning strategy - 'low-end' EOS RP sits below 'high-end' EOS R. Not something unknown in other brands.
Yep! The battery life difference between the Sony A6400 and EOS RP shows the penalty for full-frame MILC. With 2.25X the sensor area, video-readout of the sensor for the EVF takes 2.25X the power. Semiconductor physics is a bitch!

Last edited by photoptimist; 02-14-2019 at 09:16 AM.
02-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
p.s. 250 shots on a full battery is a joke. USB 2 on this thing is kind of laughable, the battery life is a bigger deal to me, ymmv.
USB too event can pass, it's possible to use a SD card reader instead. But the 250 shots I can see myself having issues more often than not. Even with the 760 shots rating of the K1, I seldom run out of battery on a K1 it's always annoying, so I can imagine running out of battery fairly often if I used this EOS RP. If I was using an EOS RP, I'd probably use it for 6 months and end-up selling it and buying a EOS R once realizing I have the RF mounts lenses already. Spec. like those of the EOS RP are a bit tricky IMO.