Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2019, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Canon RF 15-35mm f2.8 weights 840g and the size of it is 88.5 x 126.8 mm (3.48 x 4.99"). Pentax D-FA 15-30mm f2.8 weights 1040g and the size of it is 90.86 x 140.35 cm (3.88 x 5.65"). So, the Canon lens it's smaller, lighter than Pentax lens and it has extra 5mm on the long end. But Canon lens it's more expensive.

Canon RF 24-70mm f2.8 weights 900g and the size of it is 88.5 x 125.7 mm (3.48 x 4.95"). Pentax D-FA 24-70mm f2.8 weights 787g and the size of it is 88.5 x 109.5 mm (3.48 x 4.31"). Pentax lens is also less expensive.
I think that I have seen other video where a male has had them in his hands and they are smaller compared to FF counterparts. it is not HUGE difference, but it is there. That 70-200/2.8 is on the other hand quite a bit smaller than others in it's class. Depends if it is 'expanding when zoomed out, as these 2 other are too. All in all it is hard to imagine now a days that you would not get prime stuff if you pay the premium, altough there are always prize one pays in other ways, like cheaper but bigger, bigger but internal zoom...or just Leica.

What is bigger difference ofcouse is the prize.

But as said by winder, it is great to have all of these options. We(customers) will benefit in the end. Given that companies will survive and not be out played and then who know what will happen.

08-29-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that beautiful 15-35mm
08-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
We(customers) will benefit in the end.
Benefits hopefully yes, but at what price. I figured upgrades within the same format aren't cost effective because there is no recycling approach to camera upgrades. Basically, you pay the full price of a new system for incremental improvements, that's not cost effective. I feel like photography becomes an expensive hobby if we want to keep out cameras and lenses up to date. And I don't see much price competition, average prices of OEM equipment has almost doubled in less than five years, I wouldn't call it a benefit. Those new lenses from Canon look great, but do they make a difference in images worth the money, I don't think so.
08-30-2019, 01:45 AM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Those new lenses from Canon look great, but do they make a difference in images worth the money, I don't think so.
Do the new RF lenses make a difference? I say that it depends on what lenses you own. Let's say you own the EF 85mm f1.2 (the old and legendary Canon lens) and you just bought a Canon mirrorless. The RF 85mm f1.2L lens will simply "kill" the EF lens in terms of performance. Take also the RF 28-70mm f2 lens that doesn't have a match in EF ecosystem and it's an impressive lens. Or compare the worst L lens in my opinion - the EF 50mm f1.2L with this new RF 50mm f1.2 and again, the RF lens is way better. So, there are some Canon L lenses that people have already and replacing them with the new RF lenses makes quite a difference.

On the other hand, if you have the new EF 85mm f1.4L lens (like I do), buying the new RF 85mm f1.2L lens it's not a priority because I simply love the EF 85mm f1.4L IS and it works flawlessly on EOS R with adaptor. So this is a lens I won't replace soon.

Another things why this new trinity of RF lenses are going to be desired are:
1. The control ring; I will set the control ring on my lenses to change exposure compensation and this feature combined with EVF will give me a faster shooting experience because I don't have to guess anymore if I need to uderexpose an image by a stop or two for example and then look at LCD and see if it's enough or not

2. All 3 lenses have 5 stops of image stabilization and for the ones that need it (I don't) it will be interesting to see how it will work with in body stabilisation (Canon said that the pro body will have in body stabilisation that will work with the in lens stabilisation)

This 2 small advantages combined with the other small advantages of mirrorless bodies (eye af, silent shooting, etc.) makes the transition to mirrorless more interesting.

My plan is to replace my current EF lenses with the new RF lenses in the next 4-5 years. For the moment I will buy only the RF 15-35mm f2.8 and the RF 35mm f1.8. I will also look very closely at the new RF 70-200mm f2.8L because it is a lens I'm interested in but in EF mount was too big and heavy.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 08-30-2019 at 02:02 AM.
08-30-2019, 03:13 AM   #275
Pentaxian

I must say that, this must also be what Canon actually do want. Perhaps even to sell to their customers new little ’better’ and smaller full trinity system. With those big fast lenses. You can use your old lenses too, but with adapter, which is smart, but yes adapter.

What customers actually want!

If they want new fast flashy things with big promises too. But as you Dan said, 3-500 for couple for every 3-5 yr is not too much for a pro to invest for their system..
08-30-2019, 03:52 AM   #276
Veteran Member

I must say that, this must also be what Canon actually do want. Perhaps even to sell to their customers new little ’better’ and smaller full trinity system. With those big fast lenses. You can use your old lenses too, but with adapter, which is smart, but yes adapter.

What customers actually want!

If they want new fast flashy things with big promises too. But as you Dan said, 3-500 for couple for every 3-5 yr is not too much for a pro to invest for their system..
It's too early to talk about second hand market for RF lenses. But in 2-3 years the second hand market will start to grow for Canon mirrorless and you will also have the option to buy quite new products from second hand market at cheaper prices than the ones for the new products.

But let's say that I (again, I speak for myself) want to go to mirrorless tomorow. If I sell my 5D Mark IV, with the money I get from selling it I will have to pay for a new EOS R just another 500$. I can also sell the 16-35mm f4L lens and the 35mm f2 lens and pay just 1000$ more for the RF 15-35mm f2.8L lens.

So, I will pay only 1500$ to get the EOS R with RF 15-35mm f2.8L IS as a replacement for 5D Mark IV and 16-35mm f4L IS + 35mm f2 IS. I would also need to spend additional 1100$ if I want to replace the EF 85mm f1.4L with RF 85mm f1.2L.

This means that my total investment will be 2600$, but in this money I will get a new camera and 2 new pro Canon RF lenses that are more than enough for weddings, corporate events, portraits, etc. To me this is not a big investment at all considering what I get for the money.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 08-30-2019 at 06:09 AM.
08-30-2019, 05:28 AM   #277
Pentaxian

It's too early to talk about second hand market for RF lenses. But in 2-3 years the second market will start to grow for Canon mirrorless and you will also have the option to buy quite new products from second hand market at cheaper prices than the ones for the new products.

But let's say that I (again, I speak for myself) want to go to mirrorless tomorow. If I sell my 5D Mark IV, with the money I get from selling it I will have to pay for a new EOS R just another 500$. I can also sell the 16-35mm f4L lens and the 35mm f2 lens and pay just 1000$ more for the RF 15-35mm f2.8L lens.

So, I will pay only 1500$ to get the EOS R with RF 15-35mm f2.8L IS as a replacement for 5D Mark IV and 16-35mm f4L IS + 35mm f2 IS. I would also need to spend additional 1100$ if I want to replace the EF 85mm f1.4L with RF 85mm f1.2L.

This means that my total investment will be 2600$, but in this money I will get a new camera and 2 new pro Canon RF lenses that are more than enough for weddings, corporate events, portraits, etc. To me this is not a big investment at all considering what I get for the money.
When people begin selling their 5 D IV it is getting cheaper. But yea. Depends what you will be after. Then again if you want that 70-200 too it is new lenses and all and you upgraded. 2-4000€ later you will be happy. You cant use those new lenses on older body at all.

08-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #278
Veteran Member

When people begin selling their 5 D IV it is getting cheaper.
I can get 1700$ for 5D Mark IV if I want to sell it really fast, or I can sell it with 2100$ if I'm not in a hurry. EOS R cost 2200$ with free adaptor. If I sell the adaptor I can pretty much sell a used 5D Mark IV for a brand new EOS R if I'm not in a hurry.

Then again if you want that 70-200 too it is new lenses and all and you upgraded. 2-4000€ later you will be happy.
Yes, but I have also other options. Like I said, I can keep my excelent 85mm f1.4L IS lens and save 1000$. If I wait a little and sell the 5D Mark IV with 2100$ instead of selling it in a hurry, then I will have 1400$ available and the RF 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens will cost me additional 1000$. By going this route I will have EOS R with RF 15-35mm f2.8L IS, EF 85mm f1.4L IS + adaptor and RF 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens for just 2100$. Each route I go, I will have one new camera and 2 new L lenses.

You cant use those new lenses on older body at all.
Yes, but I'm not buying anything unless I have the option to test it. This way I know for sure that the gear I buy suits my needs. Once I go to mirrorless there are less than 1% chances to go back to DSLR in the next 6-8 years.
08-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #279
Pentaxian

Yup! Sounds like you have a plan! But as I said also if you decide to go this way(not just you, you know), it is a big decision. Perhaps some could keep their one old camera as a back up, but it won’t work with new lenses so you end up with 2 similar systems or just one. So this talk about you marry your lenses and date the camera do not really work.

But if one desire mirrorless, then it is the way to go. Still I little doubt that these old cameras with mirror will hold their value so well if and when more and more are going towards the new format.

Now when there are so many to choose from
I can get 1700$ for 5D Mark IV if I want to sell it really fast, or I can sell it with 2100$ if I'm not in a hurry. EOS R cost 2200$ with free adaptor. If I sell the adaptor I can pretty much sell a used 5D Mark IV for a brand new EOS R if I'm not in a hurry.

Yes, but I have also other options. Like I said, I can keep my excelent 85mm f1.4L IS lens and save 1000$. If I wait a little and sell the 5D Mark IV with 2100$ instead of selling it in a hurry, then I will have 1400$ available and the RF 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens will cost me additional 1000$. By going this route I will have EOS R with RF 15-35mm f2.8L IS, EF 85mm f1.4L IS + adaptor and RF 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens for just 2100$. Each route I go, I will have one new camera and 2 new L lenses.

Yes, but I'm not buying anything unless I have the option to test it. This way I know for sure that the gear I buy suits my needs. Once I go to mirrorless there are less than 1% chances to go back to DSLR in the next 6-8 years.
08-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #280
Veteran Member

Yup! Sounds like you have a plan! But as I said also if you decide to go this way(not just you, you know), it is a big decision. Perhaps some could keep their one old camera as a back up, but it won’t work with new lenses so you end up with 2 similar systems or just one. So this talk about you marry your lenses and date the camera do not really work.

But if one desire mirrorless, then it is the way to go. Still I little doubt that these old cameras with mirror will hold their value so well if and when more and more are going towards the new format.

Now when there are so many to choose from
Yes, for the ones interested in going to Canon mirrorless I think that selling their DSLRs has to be a priority because once the mirrorless pro body will come and I don't think that it will take more than 6 months until we will see it, the value of Canon DSLRs will drop even further.
08-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, for the ones interested in going to Canon mirrorless I think that selling their DSLRs has to be a priority because once the mirrorless pro body will come and I don't think that it will take more than 6 months until we will see it, the value of Canon DSLRs will drop even further.
Sure, but for those who don't care (they don't need f2 zooms and are OK with having a mirror), they could end up with amazing deals -- a gently used 5D IV for the price you would pay for a new 6D II.
08-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #282
Pentaxian

But what has to be said is that it is great that Canon is actually giving a choise(they don’t actually have other choise than that) looking at that new D90 there is still new DSLR. You can really see that it is big brand and they are really showing that. I would not be surprised if there was coming also mirrorless top model and one with mirror ala D1...
08-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure, but for those who don't care (they don't need f2 zooms and are OK with having a mirror), they could end up with amazing deals -- a gently used 5D IV for the price you would pay for a new 6D II.
It's good to have choices, isn't it?

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 08-31-2019 at 01:55 AM.
09-14-2019, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #284
Pentaxian

It's good to have choices, isn't it?
You can have the choice of 200 lenses, but if you only use a 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200, the choice of 200 lenses remains mental concept. Same for cameras.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-15-2019 at 12:15 AM.
09-15-2019, 01:19 AM - 2 Likes   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You can have the choice of 200 lenses, but if you only use a 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200, the choice of 200 lenses remains mental concept. Same for cameras.
This is by far the most funniest comment ever in this forum. How do you know what you need as long as you don't have other options? Pentax released one full frame camera and reading your above comment it looks like they successfuly managed to convince you that is the camera you need. And this has nothing to do with the choices you have on other brands. I wonder if K1 would have been your choice if Pentax released 3 full frame cameras instead of one. You don't know because you don't have this option and therefore you use only what you have available. It's like going to a store that sells only black t-shirts and you think you only need black t-shirts.

Same with lenses. How do you know you need Pentax 15-30mm f2.8 instead of a Pentax 15-30mm f4 or a Pentax 11-24mm f4 as long as you don't have the option to shoot with the latest 2 lenses and see if they are better for your needs? I do hope that Ricoh doesn't think like you and they will release as many lenses they can in order for the ones interested in investing in Pentax system or interested in upgrading their lenses to have options to choose from. Same for cameras.

This comment of yours reminds me of the communist period in my country, Romania, 30 years ago. We had limited options to everything and back then we didn't knew how shrimps taste like or how London looks like. We lived in our own bubble, not knowing how beautiful our planet is.