Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless $1,299

Competition news: These are the full leaked PDF specs of the $1299 Canon EOS-RP - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

02-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looking at the specs, seems to be a mirrorless 6D mk2
02-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most of the speculation is a price of U$1599,...if its 1299 it will kill off some camera brands.
02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Looking at the specs, seems to be a mirrorless 6D mk2
Yeah. I'm not quite sure how groundbreaking this really is. Sony has been near that pricepoint for quite some time with the A7 and variants. I'm not how this changes anything.

02-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yeah. I'm not quite sure how groundbreaking this really is. Sony has been near that pricepoint for quite some time with the A7 and variants. I'm not how this changes anything.
It expands the EOS-R brand downward and decreases attractiveness of those becoming-elderly Sony bodies to the large flock/herd of current Canon users
02-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems like a fair price for a Canon FF. The sensor is a generation or two behind everyone else. The AF is good for video, but average for stills. Anyone who already has some Canon glass and wants to move over to mirrorless would be the target customer. Existing Canon users are use to paying too much for dated technology and sensor performance, so this is the perfect camera for them.
02-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Canon camera specs listed and linked from a sony rumors site haha

This does look like a mirrorless 6dII. It isn't meant to be groundbreaking. Just a lower cost entry point into the R system.

Though I wonder about dynamic range on that sensor as a result...

02-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is this it? $1299 indeed!

Canon EOS RP

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Seems like a fair price for a Canon FF. The sensor is a generation or two behind everyone else. The AF is good for video, but average for stills. Anyone who already has some Canon glass and wants to move over to mirrorless would be the target customer. Existing Canon users are use to paying too much for dated technology and sensor performance, so this is the perfect camera for them.
The EOS RP is a very good news. It will take good full frame sized images in 99% of photography cases, at a fraction of the price of Sony A9. Practically, no one will tell the difference between RP images and A9 images, but the every will be able to tell the difference on her/his bank account. Canon have the advantage that they know the market very well, they are no looking after DXO charts, but they do make cameras that make a lot of sense for photographers: selection of lenses, choice of accessories, software support, customer service. Big Canon place his big feet into Sony land. Sony will have no choice but to withdraw.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-13-2019 at 11:53 PM.
02-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aside from the under-whelming video specs, a few things about the EOS RP puzzle me:

Battery life: 250 shots
Connectivity: USB 2.0

250 shots is too low and a nuisance, plus USB 2 in this day and age is such a throw-back. Why would Canon bother to cut corners here?
02-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The WAR just escalated!

Just for the fact its a CANNNNNON!...it will sell like crazy..

This is a major salvo against $$$ony and the others will be also rans

KIT deals with the adapter and EF mount lenses,marketing here we go.
02-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
250 shots is too low and a nuisance, plus USB 2 in this day and age is such a throw-back. Why would Canon bother to cut corners here?
Low spec indeed. 250 shots is clearly no enough for anyone shooting sports, but bring a spare battery and it'll be fine for occasional shooting. Although, I prefer the 700 shots from my K1. Maybe we are in a new era where low cost full frame replace apsc for entry level. If that's the intention of Canon, it makes perfect sense: they deploy a portfolio of new lenses for the RF mount, covering all market segments brings more ROI.

---------- Post added 14-02-19 at 08:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Canon can do it because they still have enough market share to play cost domination. That approach may prove detrimental for smaller players when those smaller players need to sell at high prices to avoid losses.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-14-2019 at 12:15 AM.
02-14-2019, 12:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Just for the fact its a CANNNNNON!...it will sell like crazy..

This is a major salvo against $$$ony and the others will be also rans

It will sell very well, but I think its target market is existing Canon users who already have a lot of EF glass they can adapt over. I would guess that Sony has been expecting this and the rumored A5 is Sony's answer. Canon has been bleeding customers to Sony for a couple of years now and they needed to do something to stop that. The new EOS-R glass looks really nice, but the EOS bodies have not been very impressive. I don't know if Sony will bother with the A5. I have read a couple of reviews where they took a used Sony A7II and tested it against an EOS-R and the results were very close. Sony could probably update the firmware on the A7II and not worry about launching a new budget body.

Canon is a marketing machine, but the market is changing. If the downward trend in DSLRs sales continues Canon will be in a lot of trouble. I'm glad to see them enter the FF mirrorless market. Sony really needs competition. So far I'm more impressed by the Panasonic options, but again, AF seems to be a weakness. CP+ is right around the corner and I hope Sony is ready with some much needed lenses.
02-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Low spec indeed. 250 shots is clearly no enough for anyone shooting sports, but bring a spare battery and it'll be fine for occasional shooting.
What is strange is that clearly 250 shots isn't great, which could be a particular nuisance for video shooters, but they haven't released a battery grip for the camera. They have released an 'extension grip EG-E1' to fit on the bottom of the camera, but it doesn't take any batteries. It's just there for 'handling' and looks.

Seems a competent camera. A light, affordable and compact full-frame - you can't argue with that. It will push Sony mirrorless prices down a lot.
02-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What is strange is that clearly 250 shots isn't great, which could be a particular nuisance for video shooters, but they haven't released a battery grip for the camera. They have released an 'extension grip EG-E1' to fit on the bottom of the camera, but it doesn't take any batteries. It's just there for 'handling' and looks.

Seems a competent camera. A light, affordable and compact full-frame - you can't argue with that. It will push Sony mirrorless prices down a lot.
The Sony A7II is still being sold new for under $1,000. I would not expect Sony to release a new body to counter the new Canon. Sony could put some work into a firmware update for the A7II and be fine.