Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #1

Pentax lenses on other brands bodies

I have surfed the web for a long time but I could not find what I'm looking for: an adapter ring for using my Pentax lenses on other companies bodies, with AF-confirm AND aperture ring.
The reason behind this is simple: I'd like to take 4K videos with my collection of Pentax lenses and we all know that no Pentax camera allows that, so I'm considering buying a "movie body" just to do so.
But before choosing the body I need to find the right adapter for my needs: I need an aperture ring because my good lenses lacks it and AF confirm may be a really nice thing to have. Are you guys aware of any adapter like that, for any body mount?

02-26-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is some video editing software that converts HD to 4K.
02-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kangaxx Quote
I have surfed the web for a long time but I could not find what I'm looking for: an adapter ring for using my Pentax lenses on other companies bodies, with AF-confirm AND aperture ring.
The reason behind this is simple: I'd like to take 4K videos with my collection of Pentax lenses and we all know that no Pentax camera allows that, so I'm considering buying a "movie body" just to do so.
But before choosing the body I need to find the right adapter for my needs: I need an aperture ring because my good lenses lacks it and AF confirm may be a really nice thing to have. Are you guys aware of any adapter like that, for any body mount?
I have used my FA Limited lenses that have an aperture ring on Sony A6000 and now on a Fuji X-T2. I also have some legacy K-mount, M42, Minolta MD, Ricoh, Konica and other manual lenses with apertures rings which I have used with no issues. My adapters are a hodgepodge of brands. Although pricier than others, I trust Fotodiox the most. The main issue to be careful about is focus to infinity. I have bought adapters that claim to focus to infinity but they don't. I have seen adapters on Amazon with aperture rings on them to allow the use of lenses that do not have an aperture ring but I have not used one yet.

As far as focus confirmation, both the bodies I have used (Sony A6000 and Fuji X-T2) allow for focus peaking which is a fantastic feature. You get to use this feature both in the EVF and the rear screen. Almost all cameras, including Pentax, offer focus peaking for manual focus lenses these days anyway.

Hope this helps you. As I mentioned earlier, Fotodiox is pricier but they are a solid company. They offer a two year warranty, and have an extensive offering for various brands and mounts. They guarantee focus to infinity and they are US based with knowledgable staff. I have bought many adapters from them. Adapters listed on Amazon work too, but it is hit or miss. You have to try and make sure they work. B&H (and Amazon and Adorama) sell more expensive German adapters. I have not tried any of those adapters as I do not want to spend mega bucks on adapters!
02-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Fotasy Pro adapters have aperture ring; you'll miss the focus confirmation, but most mirrorless have focus peaking and the likes, to tell you what areas are in focus.

02-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
Fotasy Pro adapters have aperture ring; you'll miss the focus confirmation, but most mirrorless have focus peaking and the likes, to tell you what areas are in focus.
I own a few Fotasy adapters too. They are well made and do the job. Focus peaking works great. I prefer it to focus confirmation as I have had misses with focus confirmation.
02-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kangaxx Quote
But before choosing the body I need to find the right adapter for my needs: I need an aperture ring because my good lenses lacks it and AF confirm may be a really nice thing to have.
I suggest choosing the body first. Most mirrorless ILC will work for your task. Conventional wisdom around these parts is a Lumix of some flavor.

Steve
02-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to "Non-Pentax" forum...
02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #8

Sony A 7II/III + Techart PRO Leica M –> Sony E Autofocus Adapter + Novoflex Pentax K to Leica M adapter with aperture ring; but quite expensive!

02-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mybeque Quote
Sony A 7II/III + Techart PRO Leica M –> Sony E Autofocus Adapter + Novoflex Pentax K to Leica M adapter with aperture ring; but quite expensive!
Techart Pro adapter does not work for video only photos
These are the only Sonys with 4k
Sony aps-c A6300, A6400, A6500, or FF Sony A7SII, A7RII, A7III, A7RIII, A9,
02-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have an the adapter you describe for Fujifilm X mount. Just look for Pentax K to Fujifilm X with an aperture ring. Fujifilm also make some bodies capable of high quality 4K, though they're at the expensive end of the Fujifilm spectrum: X-H1, X-T2, X-T3, X-T30.

My X-T20 also does 4K but I haven't tried it and I understand it's lower quality than the 4K from the above bodies.