Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
What Sony system do you shoot with?
I actually canceled by pre-order this morning. I already have the 100mm STF and the 135mm Batis. As much as I want to scratch the itch for some new fast glass, I think I will wait a little while. I usually stop down to F/2.8 or more to get a little more DoF. When I make an A3+ size print and only one eye is in focus it doesn't look as good. For Flicker or Instagram they look fine, but my printed portfolio is A3+ and I'm not sure I can get enough of an improvement over my currently glass and I don't want to sell either of them.

04-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying not to be cynical, but Sony certainly know how to/ have the resources to buy press/ influencer coverage - who doesn't ant to be invited onto one of their launch events? - and hence buy a position among tne the top manufacturers. All power to them - it's a strategy that seems to work: they are succeeding to some extent in defining what matters in a lens, thus becoming the yardstick, just like with mirrorless cameras. Not necessarily bad for Pentax, as optical qualities that stand out from the crowd ( like those of the best of the Ltds) is one way of producing work that stands out from the crowd. If Sony can make some good long lenses, I see them eventually (if they stay ith it long enough) killing the wildlife/ sports sector - but Pentax should keep a foothold where character matters. That is, Canon have the most to worry about from Sony, despite the excellence of their lenses.
04-25-2019, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Trying not to be cynical, but Sony certainly know how to/ have the resources to buy press/ influencer coverage - who doesn't ant to be invited onto one of their launch events? - and hence buy a position among tne the top manufacturers. All power to them - it's a strategy that seems to work: they are succeeding to some extent in defining what matters in a lens, thus becoming the yardstick, just like with mirrorless cameras. Not necessarily bad for Pentax, as optical qualities that stand out from the crowd ( like those of the best of the Ltds) is one way of producing work that stands out from the crowd. If Sony can make some good long lenses, I see them eventually (if they stay ith it long enough) killing the wildlife/ sports sector - but Pentax should keep a foothold where character matters. That is, Canon have the most to worry about from Sony, despite the excellence of their lenses.
Canon definitely has the most to lose and Sony is taking aim at them directly. I own A9's and I honestly don't need 20fps, but I see work done by sports photographers and wildlife photographers at 20fps and I see the need. Capturing athlete at the peak of motion or a King Fisher diving into the water. Yes, those images could have been made with any camera if you had perfect timing and anticipation, but 20fps and amazing tracking make getting those shots simple.

It's not just marketing. Sony is making a pretty big push. You would not see all the 3rd party support for they system if other companies didn't think there was a lot of potential there.
04-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I actually canceled by pre-order this morning. I already have the 100mm STF and the 135mm Batis. As much as I want to scratch the itch for some new fast glass, I think I will wait a little while. I usually stop down to F/2.8 or more to get a little more DoF. When I make an A3+ size print and only one eye is in focus it doesn't look as good. For Flicker or Instagram they look fine, but my printed portfolio is A3+ and I'm not sure I can get enough of an improvement over my currently glass and I don't want to sell either of them.
pardon my ignorance, as this is definitely not my field, but if you want to save some money, why not look at the sigma 135 1.4? based on the reviews i've seen, they both act very similar. only time when the sigma struggles a bit is in low light situations. folks like Manny Ortiz and the Northrup seem to agree to that as well.

04-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I have 2 Sony A9 bodies.
awesome. just bought my A9. btw, I think I have seen this little kido's picture somewhere on BH website, perhaps lens review section?!
04-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
pardon my ignorance, as this is definitely not my field, but if you want to save some money, why not look at the sigma 135 1.4? based on the reviews i've seen, they both act very similar. only time when the sigma struggles a bit is in low light situations. folks like Manny Ortiz and the Northrup seem to agree to that as well.
The Sigma 135mm is an excellent lens optically, but it can't keep up with cameras like the A9. The A9 tracks and adjusts focus 60 times every second and it needs a lens that is capable of also adjusting focus at that speed. The second reason is that the reason a lot of people will by a fast 135mm (F/1.8) is because they shoot in churches or basketball/hockey arenas were the 135mm focal length is great for sports, and they need a lens that can focus fast in those low-light conditions. People by F/1.8 because they need low-light performance, so when an F/1.8 lens struggles in low-light that's kind of an issue. Of course if you are using strobes and HSS then the Sigma would be a great choice and the images are every bit as good as the Sony 135mm GM.

I was going to sell my Batis, but I think I will hold on to it for a little while. I don't use 135mm as much as I use to. If I was constantly using 135mm and needing faster glass it would be a different story. The 135mm GM is probably the best 135mm lens ever made.

---------- Post added 04-26-19 at 10:16 AM ----------

awesome. just bought my A9. btw, I think I have seen this little kido's picture somewhere on BH website, perhaps lens review section?!
Yes. I love the 35mm Sony/Zeiss F/1.4. It's probably not as sharp as the Sigma, but it's still exceptionally sharp and it has better bokeh and character. A lot of people seem to have issues with this lens, but my copy has been excellent.

I need to write a review of the Sony 100mm STF. Its a more challenging lens to use, but the results are very good. The bokeh is amazing when used correctly. This is one reason I cancelled my Sony 135mm GM order.
04-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The Sigma 135mm is an excellent lens optically, but it can't keep up with cameras like the A9. The A9 tracks and adjusts focus 60 times every second and it needs a lens that is capable of also adjusting focus at that speed. The second reason is that the reason a lot of people will by a fast 135mm (F/1.8) is because they shoot in churches or basketball/hockey arenas were the 135mm focal length is great for sports, and they need a lens that can focus fast in those low-light conditions. People by F/1.8 because they need low-light performance, so when an F/1.8 lens struggles in low-light that's kind of an issue. Of course if you are using strobes and HSS then the Sigma would be a great choice and the images are every bit as good as the Sony 135mm GM.

I was going to sell my Batis, but I think I will hold on to it for a little while. I don't use 135mm as much as I use to. If I was constantly using 135mm and needing faster glass it would be a different story. The 135mm GM is probably the best 135mm lens ever made.

---------- Post added 04-26-19 at 10:16 AM ----------

Yes. I love the 35mm Sony/Zeiss F/1.4. It's probably not as sharp as the Sigma, but it's still exceptionally sharp and it has better bokeh and character. A lot of people seem to have issues with this lens, but my copy has been excellent.

I need to write a review of the Sony 100mm STF. Its a more challenging lens to use, but the results are very good. The bokeh is amazing when used correctly. This is one reason I cancelled my Sony 135mm GM order.
I've got the Zeiss 35 1.4 as well. I used to have the Sigma but the eye AF in low light was TERRIBLE! Sony/Zeiss is so much better, not to mention, it's got a better color rendering to my eye.

04-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
04-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I was at the Sony event yesterday and I got to play with that lens. IT WAS SUCH A beauty. Small enough, super fast and TACK Sharp.
04-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was at the Sony event yesterday and I got to play with that lens. IT WAS SUCH A beauty. Small enough, super fast and TACK Sharp.
I'm trying really hard to resist. Pre-order is canceled. I'll wait until it has been on the shelves for a few months.... Really hoping Sony has a 100mm F/1.4 GM coming. They filed a patent on one and I prefer that focal length to the 135mm. That would be the perfect complement to my 100mm STF. But everything thin I read about the 135mm GM is extremely positive.
04-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm trying really hard to resist. Pre-order is canceled. I'll wait until it has been on the shelves for a few months.... Really hoping Sony has a 100mm F/1.4 GM coming. They filed a patent on one and I prefer that focal length to the 135mm. That would be the perfect complement to my 100mm STF. But everything thin I read about the 135mm GM is extremely positive.
Have you seen the new Zeiss?
Zeiss Otus 100mm f/1.4: A Full-Frame Lens with a 'Medium Format Look'
04-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, and I have seen the $4,500 price tag. I would love to be able to say that my work warranted that kind of glass, but it doesn't. AF is really high on my list. Crossing fingers for a Sony 100mm F/1.4 GM. I have been close to buying the Sigma 105mm ART. I'll just sell it if a Sony version comes out with better AF and better bokeh.... meaning no lemon shaped lights.
04-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Yeah, and I have seen the $4,500 price tag. I would love to be able to say that my work warranted that kind of glass, but it doesn't. AF is really high on my list. Crossing fingers for a Sony 100mm F/1.4 GM. I have been close to buying the Sigma 105mm ART. I'll just sell it if a Sony version comes out with better AF and better bokeh.... meaning no lemon shaped lights.
105 sigma is a beast. I tried it out at the store and it was massive, but the images looked out of the world. I think the new 135mm bokeh is lemonie at 1.8 and become more rounded at 2.8.
04-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Got a notification from Adorama that my 135 1.8 will be delivered tomorrow. Stay tuned!
04-30-2019, 01:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to get a one 135 but even the sigma version is too expensive for me.