Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,176
Canon RF goes sexy small, Nikon Z goes whoa! clunky!

Really funny to see how Canon versus Nikon approach the exact same topic: 70-200mm F2.8 on mirrorless FF:

Nikon Z seems to be aimed at middle aged men trying to compensate for something they lack. Mirrorless is smaller than DSLR? No way.
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Nikon-Nikkor-Z-70-200mm-f2.8-S.jpg

Canon RF on the other side really seems to show off their engineer's skills in making good use of the new mount:
New Canon RF mount lenses shown at CP+ 2019 - YouTube

That is like half size of the Nikon.

Kudos to Canon.

03-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,019
Canon RF glass have generally higher build quality than what Nikon started with. Yet, too early to have the full picture of those systems.
03-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,125
The initial mirrorless offerings of the systems were the opposite. Canon had massive lenses and Nikon had smaller and more rational lenses.
03-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,176
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The initial mirrorless offerings of the systems were the opposite. Canon had massive lenses and Nikon had smaller and more rational lenses.
The initial offerings were never comparable. The new RF glass was high level and the Z first lenses were meh beginner lenses of questionable low specs and high prices. No wonder Nikons APSC level lenses on FF were smaller than world firsts such as 28-70/2.

Only now we can compare like against like.

03-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 610
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Really funny to see how Canon versus Nikon approach the exact same topic: 70-200mm F2.8 on mirrorless FF:

Nikon Z seems to be aimed at middle aged men trying to compensate for something they lack. Mirrorless is smaller than DSLR? No way.
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Nikon-Nikkor-Z-70-200mm-f2.8-S.jpg

Canon RF on the other side really seems to show off their engineer's skills in making good use of the new mount:
New Canon RF mount lenses shown at CP+ 2019 - YouTube

That is like half size of the Nikon.

Kudos to Canon.
I'm really looking forward to when that 70-200 lens comes out. Curious on how it will be

03-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,019
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I'm really looking forward to when that 70-200 lens comes out. Curious on how it will be
It's a kind of the 400 DO version of a 70-200. Nikon may come up with a 70-200 FL
03-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 2,331
Hey Biz come to Australia those new lenses cost more than a K1 with 28 - 105 kit !!

Dave
03-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 610
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's a kind of the 400 DO version of a 70-200. Nikon may come up with a 70-200 FL
I'm not too familiar with Nikon. What's the difference between the bunch?



03-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,125
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The initial offerings were never comparable. The new RF glass was high level and the Z first lenses were meh beginner lenses of questionable low specs and high prices. No wonder Nikons APSC level lenses on FF were smaller than world firsts such as 28-70/2.

Only now we can compare like against like.
Respectfully I disagree.
03-01-2019, 11:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,019
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hey Biz come to Australia those new lenses cost more than a K1 with 28 - 105 kit !!Dave
I know. That K1 kit is great, tiny DFA28-105 quick to focus with good sharpness

---------- Post added 02-03-19 at 08:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I'm not too familiar with Nikon. What's the difference between the bunch?
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Originally posted by biz-engineer QuoteIt's a kind of the 400 DO version of a 70-200. Nikon may come up with a 70-200 FLI'm not too familiar with Nikon. What's the difference between the bunch?
The Canon 400 DO is a shorter version of the Canon 400. For Nikon FL means fresnel lens (I think), this is what makes their 300mm prime and now 500mm so small.
03-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,176
Original Poster
And more to compare, now 50mm F1.2:

Canon RF: https://i1.adis.ws/i/canon/rf-50mm-f-1-2l-usm-lens-side-spec-image-fixed_339...gb(255,255,255)

Nikon Z: https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Upcoming-Nikon-Z-Nikkor-m...roadmap-10.jpg

Again it seems like twice the size on mirrorless Nikon. Maybe they want to sell sherpa services to drag along the lenses.
The DFA* 50 is a dwarf against this.


Just for fun, the Pentax 50mm F1.2: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussio...3.s1cdquzw.jpg
03-02-2019, 04:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19,591
These are nice lenses, but the cost is considerable. The 50 f1.2 for Canon is 2100 dollars on B and H and the 28-70 f2 is a cool 3000. Nikon's Z 24-70 f2.8 is 2300, their 35 f2.8 is 850, and their 24-70 f4 is 1000.

But I think your point is well taken. Canon is doing some very nice things to decrease the size of their lenses. Hopefully they test well. It would be nice to see Pentax start to incorporate some of these lens designs as well. Fresnel lens design has nothing to do with mirrorless cameras and you can easily make them for SLRs.
03-02-2019, 04:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,176
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
These are nice lenses, but the cost is considerable.
I would correct that to say "price is considerable" and "profits milked from customers is considerable".


There is zero evidence the cost is significantly higher than for anything produced in the past.

Compared to mirrorless options above the DFA* 50 is both small and cheap.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canon, canon rf, k1, kit, mirroless lenses, mirrorless, nikon, rf, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Whoa, what is that foxandcrow Post Your Photos! 8 08-18-2018 07:18 PM
Small camera goes to a small place pinholecam Pentax Q 13 07-02-2017 01:53 AM
RF-600TX replaces RF-602TX in Yongnuo RF-602 Kits adr1an Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 02-18-2015 10:14 AM
Clunky Tokina 400mm Sigmund Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 05-08-2014 01:48 AM
RF 602 canon or nikon version? janstew Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 03-18-2011 04:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top