Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 01:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hybrid shooter?...just an opinion.

03-06-2019, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The best would obviously to buy the 3 of them.
03-06-2019, 03:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
All 3 get updated firmware in next 2 months.EYE AF,i suppose that's the next YT involving these 3.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
buy the 3
ha ha
03-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Hybrid shooter?...just an opinion.
Thanks for posting the video. I am actually looking to buy a hybrid camera about May/June so this is really helpful.

I have a budget of about USD $4,000 for camera body and lens.

To future proof for video content creation while travelling I have decided a decent 4K spec is required, and at the moment that very sadly rules out Pentax, which would be my first preference given the number of Pentax lenses I have.

I am going to be interested to see what develops over the next few months in this space.

03-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the GH5 is still king. The new S1 video specs are pretty amazing, but GH5 system is much more complete.
03-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the GH5 is still king. The new S1 video specs are pretty amazing, but GH5 system is much more complete.
I agree regarding the GH5. I am waiting until the S1 reviews with release firmware are in, and then see what there is to be seen. I suspect we will have another Sony iteration by May as well. My concern with M4/3 is it might becoming a dead end format in terms of future development. I am mulling over that issue.

For the work I will be doing a GH5 or even a G9 would be perfectly adequate.
03-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I agree regarding the GH5. I am waiting until the S1 reviews with release firmware are in, and then see what there is to be seen. I suspect we will have another Sony iteration by May as well. My concern with M4/3 is it might becoming a dead end format in terms of future development. I am mulling over that issue.

For the work I will be doing a GH5 or even a G9 would be perfectly adequate.
I can't see it going anywhere anytime soon. The system is well established and if 4K is all you need then its about the best you can get at that price point. I question the need for 8K, but I haven't seen any 8K work yet. M4/3 has advantages in terms of heat build-up and power draw over FF and larger sensors and the video quality for documentary work is more than good enough.

The L-mount is interesting but when the 50mm F/1.4 costs $2,300 I don't have a lot of interest. Maybe the glass is amazing, but my Sony Zeiss 50mm F/1.4 at $1,300 is more than enough.

03-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
even a G9 would be perfectly adequate.
Yes,very capable...its a bet each way for still and moving pictures.An excellent reviewer uses it lots,however look at this

Your budget will get you a great system whatever your final choice is.
03-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #9
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes,very capable...its a bet each way for still and moving pictures.An excellent reviewer uses it lots,however look at this
Thanks, I have been following Hugh's work for a while now, and enjoy his perspective on things.

The XT-3 seems to be a very good camera, and I really like the Fuji lens range and quality. The lack of IBIS and flip screen are my concerns with the XT-3. For what I am wanting to do IBIS is more important than the flip screen. Maybe the Fuji X-H1, when it gets upgraded to the XT-3 sensor. The answer of carrying a gimbal for the XT-3 as noted in the first video will not work for me, as I do a lot of international travel, and want to take gear that is small and relatively light for that travel, and making videos and vblogs while travelling.

Ideally, if Pentax were to make a hybrid camera they would just need to take the K-70 body and drop in a sensor that delivered 4K, and some better continuous AF tracking, and they would be there.
03-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the Fuji X-H1, when it gets upgraded to the XT-3 sensor.
Lots are waiting for it,word is sometime in 2020.....maybe the first edition will be ok when you are ready to buy.Another brand could be better?The $$$ony A6700/7000(speculation on the designation) could be very good.Not a lot of crop sensor glass though.
03-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots are waiting for it,word is sometime in 2020.....maybe the first edition will be ok when you are ready to buy.Another brand could be better?The $$$ony A6700/7000(speculation on the designation) could be very good.Not a lot of crop sensor glass though.
And therein lies all the choices . I am considering Sony, but again there are a range of trade-offs.

The first project I intend to use the camera for is in August in Vanuatu, so I am giving myself until late May to see what is available - then give myself a couple of months to learn how to use the camera.

Normally when I travel, just for stills the K-3 and a few lenses is ideal. Adding video to the mix, where hybrid cameras shine, is a more complex question.