Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our daughters {now in their late 20's} have always enjoyed taking and sharing photos, but I'm not sure if prints were important of and by themselves, or whether they liked prints because that was the easiest way for them to share photos. I do know that I inherited many many prints as they moved away and on their own, so they didn't keep many over the long-term; today we share JPEG files. All this makes me wonder how "deep" the print market actually is today.

03-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If this business model is so profitable, what happened to Polaroid?
03-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Answer: 1-hour photo labs, single-use cameras, camcorders, and then digital cameras. But the real cause is consumer boredom and the desire to chase the next big thing.

Consumer photography (as opposed to enthusiast & pro photography) is a horrible business where it is almost impossible to avoid bankruptcy -- the company makes buckets of money for a while and then the fad shifts to something the company has zero-skills and assets to handle.
03-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Answer: 1-hour photo labs, single-use cameras, camcorders, and then digital cameras. But the real cause is consumer boredom and the desire to chase the next big thing.

Consumer photography (as opposed to enthusiast & pro photography) is a horrible business where it is almost impossible to avoid bankruptcy -- the company makes buckets of money for a while and then the fad shifts to something the company has zero-skills and assets to handle.
My parents had one of those Kodak things, but they gave up on it shortly {even before the courts acted}, partly because of its poor build quality, and after that they used SLR and one-hour labs - then a cheap p&s digital camera. I don't know how typical their experience was.

03-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The amount of hardware required to get a small print of a photo is quite remarkable. Camera, some kind of computer, some kind of printer, then a bunch of software and some amount of knowledge to put it all together.

A quick and easy printout of a snap is worth something. Fuji seemed to have put together something compelling for a narrow market.

This isn't my interest, but who knows.
03-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The amount of hardware required to get a small print of a photo is quite remarkable. Camera, some kind of computer, some kind of printer, then a bunch of software and some amount of knowledge to put it all together.

A quick and easy printout of a snap is worth something. Fuji seemed to have put together something compelling for a narrow market.

This isn't my interest, but who knows.
This doesn't address issues raised by @pete-tarmigan .... point of Polaroid system was that all you needed was camera - and by its end, operation was fairly simple.