Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 03:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not clear on what this number one is. Is this largest number of units sold or is it number one in revenue? Because the second item would probably be more important than the first. If they are just still selling a whole bunch of T5i cameras and discounted 6Ds than that is probably not a huge deal. I think the thing with Sony is that they have been moving upscale and seem to be making more per camera body than many of their competitors. Additionally, Sony really has phased out a lot of their APS-C cameras and is mostly doing full frame work at this point.
If Sony deserve to be number 1, I hope that this title will be theirs in the next years. Sony did a good thing for us, photographers. They pushed all the other manufacturers to release more products which means more option for us. They pushed Canon and Nikon to start producing mirrorless cameras, they pushed Fuji to produce better and better APS-C cameras, they pushed Panasonic to invest in full frame mirrorless technology. They can have the crown as far as I'm concerned. Again, I'm looking at the entire system when I invest my money, not on a single camera and as long as the system that I shoot with gives me anything I want, it can be on the last position in the market because I don't care.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-30-2019 at 05:12 AM.
03-30-2019, 04:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not clear on what this number one is. Is this largest number of units sold or is it number one in revenue? Because the second item would probably be more important than the first. If they are just still selling a whole bunch of T5i cameras and discounted 6Ds than that is probably not a huge deal. I think the thing with Sony is that they have been moving upscale and seem to be making more per camera body than many of their competitors. Additionally, Sony really has phased out a lot of their APS-C cameras and is mostly doing full frame work at this point.
It is mostly an advertising thing - "If you don't know which camera to buy, buy the one implicitly endorsed by more consumers than anyone else" - but it also shows that whatever they're doing is working.
Kind of the opposite of "Pentax is doomed" - it must be nice.