Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Claims #1 Again

Canon has issued an official press release announcing they are #1 in the ILC market for the 16-th year in a row.

Canon Celebrates the 16th Consecutive Year as the No. 1 Market Shareholder in the Global Interchangeable-Lens Digital Camera Category - MarketWatch

03-29-2019, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #2

That's sorta like getting one of the best deck chairs on the Titanic.
03-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That article sounds like complete market speak. it made me gag. I couldn't click away fast enough.
03-29-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's 16 years of EF glass investment (almost) down the drain for all those users going for the RF, Z, L or FE mounts. Or , how does it feel now to either have to buy again new mount lenses or have to use a mount adapter on a MILC camera that basically has lesser specs than the 3 years old DSLR model? Feeling fooled like a slot machine or a credit card?

03-29-2019, 06:45 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
McDonalds has been #1 for a long time, too. But it does not make them the best restaurant in the world.
03-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
McDonalds has been #1 for a long time, too. But it does not make them the best restaurant in the world.
That is a correct statement. Neither Canon, Nikon, Sony, nor Pentax makes the very best cameras. If you want the very best, you need to open your wallet, no your bank account, to someone like Leica or Hasselblad.
03-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim70 Quote
That's sorta like getting one of the best deck chairs on the Titanic.
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I went over to B&H, sorted FF cameras by "Best Sellers", and got the list
Canon RP, Canon 5Div, Canon R, Canon 6Dii, Canon 6D, Canon 1Dxii, Pentax K-1ii

When I sorted APS-C cameras by "Best Sellers", I got the list
Canon T6, Canon 80D, Canon M50. Canon T7i, Canon 7Dii, Canon SL2, Canon 77D {first Pentax is in 12-th position - the K-70}

I really doubt that Canon users are wondering in which year the next next camera will be released.
I really doubt that Canon users are wondering what they do if they drop their "pro quality" APS-C camera
I really doubt that "Canon is doooomed" is a thing.

Four years ago I switched from Canon back to Pentax because I decided Pentax is better for me, but obviously they have something going here.

03-29-2019, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is a correct statement. Neither Canon, Nikon, Sony, nor Pentax makes the very best cameras. If you want the very best, you need to open your wallet, no your bank account, to someone like Leica or Hasselblad.
Maybe. It depends on what features you want.

Thus, we get into the stickier issue of the definition of "best." For me, Leica and Hasselblad offer inferior products to the Pentax K-1 for various reasons related to handling, size, ergonomics, WR, SR, IQ, and features of their various models. If someone gave me a "Pick Any Camera System Free" card (with the restriction that I could only use that camera), I'd pick the Pentax K-1ii. The K-1 really is the best field camera (for me).

Of course, others may insist that the "best" camera must have 4k video (a useless feature for me), or XX frames-per-second, or be no bigger than a pack of cigarettes, or whatever.
03-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon is what allowed Fuji to claim that their apsc X-TRANS was as good as full frame, and back 5 years ago it was true, if you wanted IQ with Canon you were better off getting a full frame system, Canon made a lot of money back then because a lot of Canon users at both apsc and full frame systems, and the Canon full frame were 21 or 22Mpixel so that cropping wasn't an option for wildlife , either you had to buy a 600mm f4 or buy a 7D.
03-29-2019, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't know why is this discussion about changing the EF lenses once you buy a Canon mirrorless camera?! Give me an EOS R and I will shoot a wedding anytime using the adapter and EF lenses next to other photographers that shoot with 5D Mark IV, D850, A7R III, K1. I don't need to change the EF lenses to RF lenses as long as EF lenses work really well on EOS R with the adapter.

You can "cheat" these days using different softwares for noise reduction, for stalking, for sharpening, etc. in order to offer to clients the best images from the RAW files but you can't fake emotions at a wedding or at an event where you try to be as discrete as possible. And emotions don't have anything to do with the number of megapixels, with 15EV of dynamic range, etc. Is EOS R better or worse than my 5D Mark IV? I really don't care as long as EOS R is fun to use and it doesn't slow me down with EF lenses.

Does Canon deserve the number one or not? It's really not my problem as long as their system is solid, their service is very fast, the support of third party is very good, their lenses are excelent, etc. I don't mind if Canon will be the second, the third or the fourth in the next 10-20 years as long as it offers me all I need to get my job done without the need to find walk arounds.

Does Sony deserve no.1? They can have it as far as I'm concerned. But as long as EOS R has way better ergonomics than A7 III or whatever Sony camera is in the same price range and as long as the viewfinder is again better than the 3rd generation of Sony cameras... I rather stay with Canon because again it's a lot more fun to use than Sony.

Does Pentax deserve no.1? They can have it. But as long as Pentax it's almost non existent in Romania and this means that service require 3 to 5 weeks if a camera/lens breaks and you can't rent a similar one from a camera store, as long as I have to order Godox flashes and triggers from other countries because romanian stores don't have Pentax accessories...

Does Nikon deserve no.1? They can have it. Does Fuji or Olympus deserve no.1? They can have it.

Do I need the number one manufacturer? I do, but only because as a package it offers me what I need, when I need and not because it's the number one. If I could have a camera without any logo on it, I would be even happier.

Is Pentax doomed? It was, it is and it will always be for some. But for others Pentax is no.1 and I never had a problem with this.
03-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I don't know why is this discussion about changing the EF lenses once you buy a Canon mirrorless camera?! Give me an EOS R and I will shoot a wedding anytime using the adapter and EF lenses next to other photographers that shoot with 5D Mark IV, D850, A7R III, K1. I don't need to change the EF lenses to RF lenses as long as EF lenses work really well on EOS R with the adapter.

You can "cheat" these days using different softwares for noise reduction, for stalking, for sharpening, etc. in order to offer to clients the best images from the RAW files but you can't fake emotions at a wedding or at an event where you try to be as discrete as possible. And emotions don't have anything to do with the number of megapixels, with 15EV of dynamic range, etc. Is EOS R better or worse than my 5D Mark IV? I really don't care as long as EOS R is fun to use and it doesn't slow me down with EF lenses.

Does Canon deserve the number one or not? It's really not my problem as long as their system is solid, their service is very fast, the support of third party is very good, their lenses are excelent, etc. I don't mind if Canon will be the second, the third or the fourth in the next 10-20 years as long as it offers me all I need to get my job done without the need to find walk arounds.

Does Sony deserve no.1? They can have it as far as I'm concerned. But as long as EOS R has way better ergonomics than A7 III or whatever Sony camera is in the same price range and as long as the viewfinder is again better than the 3rd generation of Sony cameras... I rather stay with Canon because again it's a lot more fun to use than Sony.

Does Pentax deserve no.1? They can have it. But as long as Pentax it's almost non existent in Romania and this means that service require 3 to 5 weeks if a camera/lens breaks and you can't rent a similar one from a camera store, as long as I have to order Godox flashes and triggers from other countries because romanian stores don't have Pentax accessories...

Does Nikon deserve no.1? They can have it. Does Fuji or Olympus deserve no.1? They can have it.

Do I need the number one manufacturer? I do, but only because as a package it offers me what I need, when I need and not because it's the number one. If I could have a camera without any logo on it, I would be even happier.

Is Pentax doomed? It was, it is and it will always be for some. But for others Pentax is no.1 and I never had a problem with this.
Do you also know what's great about the adapter? The idea that one variation allows for drop in filters on those wide lenses that don't have filter threads.

03-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Do you also know what's great about the adapter? The idea that one variation allows for drop in filters on those wide lenses that don't have filter threads.
Must be nice for the ones that use filters. I don't use filters often and when I do, I use just a 3 stops ND filter on my portrait lens in order to avoid using flash in HSS. But lately I preffer using a white reflector instead of flash outdoor, in bright situations.
03-29-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Must be nice for the ones that use filters. I don't use filters often and when I do, I use just a 3 stops ND filter on my portrait lens in order to avoid using flash in HSS. But lately I preffer using a white reflector instead of flash outdoor, in bright situations.
Yeah I haven't tried it myself, maybe one day. I could think of all the times I would use the dfa 15-30 and wished I had a ND filter or polarizer for landscapes.

03-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Who care who is number one
Number one what I think best for my work or best what I need in personal. Here everybody who use camera for bissness or pleasure has presented own view
what system number one and this is perfectly right
Same principal I have for my professional bussness
03-30-2019, 02:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not clear on what this number one is. Is this largest number of units sold or is it number one in revenue? Because the second item would probably be more important than the first. If they are just still selling a whole bunch of T5i cameras and discounted 6Ds than that is probably not a huge deal. I think the thing with Sony is that they have been moving upscale and seem to be making more per camera body than many of their competitors. Additionally, Sony really has phased out a lot of their APS-C cameras and is mostly doing full frame work at this point.