Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 119 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2019, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Should have been posted on Monday (April 1st!)

04-05-2019, 12:07 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am truly astounded by the painterly quality of the images, especially the floral arrangement. I suspect that the camera may have been designed to cater to the ever-growing cadre of professional flower photographers.

However, despite the positive anticipation leading up to this official review, my expectations have been dashed with a resounding clatter to an extent that precludes me from rushing to order the kit. As we can clearly read in the specifications -- which, I'll admit, I had missed on my earlier read -- there is a peculiar requirement for the (post-processing) computer support:

Supported O/S Microsoft Window 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, VISTA

I am now considering whether I should change my modern Intel-based, Windows 10 PC to a system running one of the prescribed operating systems. I just don't know what to do; I'm torn. I'll have to sit on this for a while.

@BigMackCam, a big tip of the chapeau to you -- this was a really fun read, and I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything during some of the passages.

- Craig

PS. I still think a wobbly-bicycle focus test would have established the Camera camera's actual capability in the field.

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-05-2019 at 11:20 PM.
04-05-2019, 12:43 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if the camera model is professional, but the review is.
04-05-2019, 01:55 PM - 7 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right. The manufacturer appears to have taken the basic architecture of a DSLR and optimise it by removing the OVF and mirror. This reduces complexity and hence improves reliability. It also results in a significant weight reduction.

And, by utilising the large 2.4" LCD screen for all composition and playback, eye strain is reduced when compared to high-end mirrorless cameras where the EVF is often known to cause headaches and nausea...
Methinks they've taken the basic architecture of a webcam and optimized it to provide the ergonomics and handling of the professional DSLR.

The clarity of your stellar review exceeds the clarity of the UBS cord bag (which exceeds the clarity of the images. )

P.S. At some 3200 words, you've provided more than one word per penny spent on this precision instrument!

04-05-2019, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for a very comprehensive review - an enjoyable read! Of course, you are stuck with this "DSLR" now because when the upgraded model comes out (as it surely will) there is not enough downside to be able to shift the original on the secondhand market. But maybe you will just shoot on to death (the camera's or yours). Did the info mention the number of actuations that could be expected? At least you will not have to worry about aperture block failure.
04-05-2019, 03:24 PM - 4 Likes   #21
ne!
Forum Member

“The cardboard retail box is reassuringly six-sided with a handy opening lid”

SOLD!
04-05-2019, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
However, despite the positive anticipation leading up to this official review, my expectations have been dashed with a resounding clatter to an extent that precludes me from rushing to order the kit. As we can clearly read in the specializations -- which, I'll admit, I had missed on my earlier read -- there is a peculiar requirement for the (post-processing) computer support:

Supported O/S Microsoft Window 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, VISTA

I am now considering whether I should change my modern Intel-based, Windows 10 PC to a system running one of the prescribed operating systems. I just don't know what to do; I'm torn. I'll have to sit on this for a while.
Me too!

I'm trying to find a 4xspeed CD-ROM drive for the nonexistent CD.

I think I have one in the basement that can connect to the nonexistent SCSI interface on my computer.

Then I can join the leading edge of impressionistic professional photographers who can capture the nonexistent detail of the world.

04-05-2019, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Me too!

I'm trying to find a 4xspeed CD-ROM drive for the nonexistent CD.

I think I have one in the basement that can connect to the nonexistent SCSI interface on my computer.

Then I can join the leading edge of impressionistic professional photographers who can capture the nonexistent detail of the world.
I haven't seen anything so wonderful since the company that used to offer free "Famous Brand film" in newspaper ads.
The name of the company was "Famous Brand".
The film flaked so badly that no one else would develop it, so you had to send it back to them for their over-priced processing {which came with another roll of film!}
04-05-2019, 10:15 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A "Professional DSLR" for $26? - Full Review

Introduction

Photography can be an expensive hobby, and a significantly more expensive professional vocation - especially if you choose to shoot with the latest equipment. For hobbyists, a current entry-level camera body and a brace of decent auto-focusing lenses can cost $1,000+, while professionals need pockets that are many times deeper, with bodies alone costing upwards of $3,000 - and that's before high end glass is added.

It was with great excitement, then, that I learned of a recently-released "professional DSLR camera" with a typical online price of just $26 including shipping. Such a product, I realised, could level the playing field for photographers regardless of their available budgets........
Mike, I have never enjoyed a camera review as much as this one.

My hat off to you sir! Well done!
04-06-2019, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done. This camera does seem to have better video quality than most store surveillance systems. But then again it is "Professional". Going to be a big hit like the Diana film camera was back in the 1960's. You could get them for something like $2.00. They were very popular in some circles.
04-06-2019, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So... "Silver Award"?
This is EXACTLY what I was going to ask.
04-06-2019, 07:18 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Forum Member

It takes better photos than my Samsung Alias.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to this professional system and leave the amateur world of phone photography!
04-07-2019, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Every word worth waiting for...thanks so much for sharing. Now the subject that I am sure is on everyone's minds...
Will you be doing a calendar?

Steve

(...requisite calendar for title of professional...)
04-08-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I am only to the video part and outright laughed 3 times and came close several more. Market this to fstoppers. Will read more later. So far wonderful stuff.
04-08-2019, 03:36 PM - 6 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for this excellent Review BigMackCam ,I'm so excited to get my hands on this awesome piece of Kit. This is great news for "Professionals" to have such a Camera available. And so simple. I can see it now, I'm sitting in the Loungeroom..... I mean "Reception area of my Office", when Claudia Schiffer walks in , urgently needing some new photos for her Portfolio. I quickly jump into Professional mode, and yell at Mum to get my Camera from my Bedroom, ...I mean, "Ask my Assistant to bring my Camera from the Studio" whilst I get Miss Schiffer a "Refreshment", a glass of Semi -warm Mountain Dew. My "assistant" (Mum) stubbles into my bedroom, and searches amongst the clothes and shoes on the floor, moving pizza boxes and old 7eleven slurpy cups as she makes her way to my desk. Upon my desk, a myriad of item, is it the stapler, the mouse, my Voltron defender of the universe pen holder, NO!!!! Thank's to the Brilliance of this "Professional" Camera, she is able to identify it, PLUS, It has CAMERA written on it, right there on the Lens Cap.... No doubt Claudia was impressed as well, as she apparently also read that it was a camera, because she said, "Oh... You have a "Camera" ", and was obviously impressed by my "Professionalness". She didn't drink her Mountain Dew.

[IMG][/IMG]